Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

form filling in help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i had NO idea which forum to put this in...volunteering, relationships or work, so mods please feel free to move it to whatever, i got fed up deciding so im putting it in anything goes :p

i decided to apply for some volunteer work (through do-it.org.uk! which i have to say is an awesome website) to possibly help me get a new job (experience, etc). i've applied as a childcare worker in a womens refuge centre. i've got the application forms for the centre today through the post but i wondered if anybody could give me a hand on what to write. the two questions im a bit stuck on are:

1) What would you like to get out of volunteering with us, and what would make you feel like you have been successful?

and

2) What is your understanding of domestic abuse?

i have an idea what to write for the first one, i could write that i would feel succesful if the children have had a good time, learned and had fun etc. but what about the second one? any advice would be very useful. thanks.x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would just do a little research first. Domestic abuse can be financial control, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical assaults, towards men, women and children etc have a look on here http://www.womensaid.org.uk/
    I'm glad you liked do-it, we're proud of how the little sister is doing :)

I think the first question is probably looking for both the way you'd judge a successful experience for the users (the children had fun, etc) but also an understanding of what you'd want to gain from it. So maybe something around a positive experience of helping children, skills that'll be useful when working with groups?

I can't say how you'd answer it but that we be my guess at what they'd most want to see - some evidence of how you would benefit as a volunteer as well as them benefitting from you.

As to the second question. I think it's one of those things you'd want to be honest about, as it'll be important for them to understand your understanding of the issues you'll be facing.

But, if I had to guess, which I don't have to so... err... I will, is that they may looking for an understanding of how broad domestic abuse can be. So emotional abuse, intimidation, threats as well as physical violence. An understanding that if you meet people who haven't been beaten up in a 'soap-opera' way, that you'll still be understanding to about their situation.

Anyway, that's my two-cents, I'll shift it over to volunteering btw, probably fits best there.
    thank you jim thats very helpful :) and katralla too. i still dont really know how to word it though, and whether they're looking for a sentence or a paragraph. so i would possibly write something like 'my understanding of domestic abuse is that it involves many different spectrums...' something like that?

i did think about putting it in here but i thought it doesnt get many posts. ha x
    Maybe something closer to the way katralla has put it? Just right in with; Domestic abuse can be... but maybe don't forget to focus on the emotional response. So do include something about how the idea of it makes you feel? I wouldn't write an essay but based on reading some applications, I think a longer response would be better than a short sentence.

And, don't worry, with time we'll get people using the volunteering section ;)
    Good luck with your volunteering application. I got a voluntary job using do-it.org and it's going really well. I hope yours does too. :)
    Hi FireyFirenze; just wanted to say I work in a refuge and if you want any info on DV just PM me and I'll do my best to give you an idea of what it's like and some DV background info.

Natasha
    thank you very much, il PM you tomorrow :)