Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Adding a 'veterans' section?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
A minority of us here are over 25 and have been on TheSite.org for a while. Our threads often get nostalgic, with my examples being Knightmare, Sheryl Crow, 90s music, radio, Woolies, alcohol in yesteryears. Also, there are a few people who are very underaged i.e. we're 3 times their age. I was therefore wondering if we could trial a veteran section? It doesn't have to have a genre. Just talk about anything and everything, and normal rules still apply (harassment, txt tlk etc). Call it 'old farts' or something :-D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So would the under-25s be refused entry? Not sure how that would work. If you don't want to talk to the kids, maybe you'd be better off looking for a forum not aimed at young people?
    So would the under-25s be refused entry? Not sure how that would work. If you don't want to talk to the kids, maybe you'd be better off looking for a forum not aimed at young people?
    :yes:.

I get that you've been here a long time and all, but seriously, this is a forum aimed at 16-25s and just because a whole bunch of you are older and have been here for years doesn't mean they should cater for you. Nobody is forcing you to stay here.
    That's that then I guess. I'm on Overclockers, which is older people but unfortunately almost all-male. (being computing related). I'm also on www.ukrides.info (which is all about fairs and theme parks). I wouldn't try searching on Facebook or Faceparty though - I am on both sites but my presence is next to zero.

I have contemplated leaving TheSite over the last couple of days anway, keeping it low-key, I'm a nobody here. As I've been single since 1996, I haven't done any of the sex/relationships stuff, haven't done drugs, therefore there is a lot of life on TheSite that I haven't seen. Oh, and I couldn't participate in P&D to save my life :-D *lost cause*

I was actually going to mention Whoa in my farewells anyway, and the other clubber Pill'ed. Plus Melian who is the other partially sighted one like myself. Also, the other guy who lives in Stafford - Click to see more. Special thanks to Karla (moderator), who sorted out my hacked account from 2003 era. She doesn't seem to be around any more though.
    I can get what you mean though, however I thought you meant a "vertrans" section for those who've been here for a number of years and they get they're own private room..
    Because that's not going to put off new members at all, right?
    Franki wrote: »
    Because that's not going to put off new members at all, right?

I wouldn't think so, I mean a lot of boards I go to have a premium/oldies section for those who've been here a while, if anything it gets new members to post more, some boards I go on, typically TV/Gaming/PC/General or even Selfhelp boards 2/3 or 1/4 usually have an oldies section..

I am not saying it'd work on here but just what I thought the title of the thread meant when I read it.
    But that's not what this forum is for.

Most members here come, post a couple of times, then leave. If they see an 'exclusive' forum for just the older members they're going to wonder why it's there. If it was hidden, like the user panel forum is, then maybe I could see what you're getting at, but I like the openness of this site and I would hate to think that some of the posters who have been here a bit longer see themselves as superior to the newer ones - that would be the impression I'd get from a forum like you're suggesting and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    i think its fine and beneficial for the different ages to mix.
    I have other message boards I use which have people more my age which im more likely to use for advice on certain issues, and then theres here, where i like it for other reasons
    But that's not what this forum is for.

Most members here come, post a couple of times, then leave. If they see an 'exclusive' forum for just the older members they're going to wonder why it's there. If it was hidden, like the user panel forum is, then maybe I could see what you're getting at, but I like the openness of this site and I would hate to think that some of the posters who have been here a bit longer see themselves as superior to the newer ones - that would be the impression I'd get from a forum like you're suggesting and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I agree, I never said that it was suitable for this board, I just said thats what I THOUGHT he ment :p:p If this place started hosting secrets in secret forums and sections then it'd cause trust issues imo.
    Aha.

I understand now. Sorry :blush:.
    you dont have to 'leave' montserrat. if its a case of finding a forum thats more suited to you then fine. a fair bit of the stuff on thesite i find doesnt relate to me, im not bothered about etc but i just dont read it! or i read it then dont post. just post on what you find relevant to you. i guarantee if you leave you'll end up still reading every day anyway. hehe.
    Aha.

I understand now. Sorry :blush:.

Good :D I did say it twice.

I can understand why Monserrat suggested the idea, lately I have felt I fit in less than I use too. mainly because, well luckily enough for me I have limited/a lot less issues and you can start to feel "left" out in a sense.

I don't think the board is designed, nor should be designed to support a large long standing regular userbase, or expected that people should "stay" as you said Franki, people come here, post, get help and then go off, enjoying themselves.

I think it is the regulars that make up this board but I do feel it is less geared or even aimed at me, I do still get a lot from here and enjoy the company of this place but it isn't here for me as once it was before, I think this is something I am coming to terms with slowly.

Meh, I think thats what I am trying to say
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Good :D I did say it twice.

I'm having a bad day, I'm allowed to misunderstand things ;).
    Ahhh Firey Firenze, I think what you said there is soooo true - I'll end up reading every day even if I stopped posting! If not, I'll simply descend to posting old farts / nostalgic / 90s topics only :-)

It's like World of Warcraft addiction. You stop but you always relapse back to WoW, although I haven't played it for 3 months now.
    Some of us are hooked, can't leave unless we get banned.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Ahhh Firey Firenze, I think what you said there is soooo true - I'll end up reading every day even if I stopped posting! If not, I'll simply descend to posting old farts / nostalgic / 90s topics only :-)

It's like World of Warcraft addiction. You stop but you always relapse back to WoW, although I haven't played it for 3 months now.

We're all destined to become like rolly.. you'll never leave, never quite fit in anymore but will become part of the furniture.
    Come over to p&d, it's not as scary as it seems. My opinion is sometimes "I don't know, somebody explain", which is interesting even if I'm not contributing.
    I don't think you should leave the boards Monserrat. I'm sure there's a place for everyone here, but you can't expect too much of thesite. I do get where you're coming from, and certainly in the past few months I've felt quite old compared to some of the posters here. I've just stopped reading certain threads, as I find some issues a bit too much to handle (I'm not a trained counsellor!).
    Monserrat wrote: »
    That's that then I guess. I'm on Overclockers, which is older people but unfortunately almost all-male. (being computing related). I'm also on www.ukrides.info (which is all about fairs and theme parks). I wouldn't try searching on Facebook or Faceparty though - I am on both sites but my presence is next to zero.

I have contemplated leaving TheSite over the last couple of days anway, keeping it low-key, I'm a nobody here. As I've been single since 1996, I haven't done any of the sex/relationships stuff, haven't done drugs, therefore there is a lot of life on TheSite that I haven't seen. Oh, and I couldn't participate in P&D to save my life :-D *lost cause*

I was actually going to mention Whoa in my farewells anyway, and the other clubber Pill'ed. Plus Melian who is the other partially sighted one like myself. Also, the other guy who lives in Stafford - Click to see more. Special thanks to Karla (moderator), who sorted out my hacked account from 2003 era. She doesn't seem to be around any more though.

No need to leave, chief. Yep, we're getting old and may feel out of place at times. But with age comes experience - even if they aren't your own, you've still spent more years walking the Earth and have experiences through other people than some of the youngsters worrying about how long their tie should be at school. With age and life-experience comes maturity and wisdom, which is precisely what some people need on here. Plus some patience when they don't get things quite right...

Don't leave. Just sit back, watch, and help if you can. Even if you only find yourself doing something you find worthwhile/rewarding once every 6 months, you can still have a laugh and help the mods by reporting something other people may miss.

May be too old to "fit in" with the txt-tlkn yth f 2day now, but that doesn't mean you can't be a useful "older brother" from time to time... :) :thumb:
    Cheers dudes. When it comes to youth, I still have one thing left going for me, and that's Disney. And clubbing too, and when I say clubbing, I mean the proper shiznit.. the clubs that Pill'ed and Whoa go to, not the local meat market that plays Britney and S Club 7 :-) As for helping - I can't guarantee too much outside of Net & Tech, but I'll try :-D
    Hunny, you aren't old... Honestly... I wish you could all meet my dad. He's 41 and still has the mental age of about 7 :lol:
    Xx
    what is veteran

what is veteran
    they help sick animals
    they help sick animals

:lol:
    Xx
    Thanks for the love guys <3

@ Knoppix, a 'veteran' is simply an oldie who have been in some sort of service for so many years, or is over a certain age. I know a hockey player aged 56 who is in the 'vets' (veteran) team because he is over 50.

I've made about 12 posts since this time yesterday, so I don't think I'll be going any time soon LOL. I'm also sorry that I kicked a fuss.
    stick around:thumb:
    Knoppix wrote: »
    what is veteran

Very good.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I agree, I never said that it was suitable for this board, I just said thats what I THOUGHT he ment :p:p If this place started hosting secrets in secret forums and sections then it'd cause trust issues imo.

What's to say there aren't already secret boards ;)

Also I too often think I should leave here because I probably shouldn't post all the personal stuff so publicly and also I'm getting on a little bit.

But then I get drawn back time and time again. I think I can't help but feel sympathy / care for a lot of the members especially those with ongoing issues.
    richard Don't You Dare Leave
    I've only been here a year and am 20 but I like the veterans! Fuck who it's aimed at you guys bring a level of experience and maturity(!) that probably kept me here. I say go for the veterans board.