Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

job seekers allowance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi there

i was just wondering last month i made a new claim for job seekers allowance and forgot to sign in the dates i was meant to. I also was offered a new job so was also not able to come in to my signing dates. Unfortunately did not let the jobseekers people know. In the future, if i have to claim jobseekers again would it effect me because of this??

Itl be great if someone knew anything or can help me with this question cause I am really worried.

Please

Thanks x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jenny30 wrote: »
    hi there

i was just wondering last month i made a new claim for job seekers allowance and forgot to sign in the dates i was meant to. I also was offered a new job so was also not able to come in to my signing dates. Unfortunately did not let the jobseekers people know. In the future, if i have to claim jobseekers again would it effect me because of this??

Itl be great if someone knew anything or can help me with this question cause I am really worried.

Please

Thanks x
    Hi Jenny.

When was your signing date?

If you are unable to make an appointment, you have five working days in which you need to get over to the job centre and give an appeal as to why you didn't attend...

If you go over the 'five day rule' then your claim will be closed as you having failed to attend your sign on date. Now this won't affect you signing on in the future...

However, you may lose money. Say you were signing on next Friday, if you had let the jobcentre know, then you could be signed off and paid up to the day before you start work. If you had started that Monday, not letting people know, then your claim would be closed and you would get paid up to the last day you signed.

You should have a signing on booklet. You could fill it out (signed and dated), then get somebody to bring it in. Another option is to find the Jobcentre's fax number and send a letter which can go something like...

I am writing to inform you that I have started work on (start date) and intend to close my claim as of (day before start). My national insurance number is (number) and the day I sign on is (day).

Thanks for your time,

(Name)

And then sign it.

All the jobcentre essentially need is your signature, your name, national insurance number and start date. This is acceptable through fax.

Congrats on the job. :wave:
    No, chances are they stopped your claim. After 5 days of not informing them of a missed appointment and a reason, they close your JSA claim so you don't get money. Don't sweat about it since you've got a job. It will be on your record, but it won't affect your rights to claiming again.
    hey guys!

thank u sooo much for ur kind help:)