Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Deal Part 2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

So I went to the jobcentre today, and she hit me with news that someone in another department has been checking my job applications I had made and they say that I haven't applied for the jobs they had found for me on other occassions.

Now I know this is completely untrue because I have copies of the email applications I have sent to these jobs.

So is there a possibility of a compensation claim here for undue stress(since i do suffer from anxiety) and also defermation caused by this ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Probably not.

To get compensation you generally have to prove how it has adversely affected you financially. So say you were an author, and someone said your writing was definitely wrong, and because of that your sales dropped 20% - you could sue (IF you could prove they were lying, and presented their argument as -fact- rather than opinion).

In the case of it causing you stress, unfortunately stress is a part of life - perhaps if the stress was so bad you had to take a day off work you could claim that day back, but tbh I doubt a judge would feel comfortable awarding you that because there are limitations of responsibility - nobody has a legal responsibility not to stress you out by saying erroneous statements, as such if they DO stress you out they cant be held liable for you not being able to do the work - it's just too remote.

If it was extreme and direct then maybe (for example, someone actually bullying you at a workplace DIRECTLY intimidates you from going to work, so any loss of income you incur because of that, they could be liable for, but you need to have a pretty solid case before the judge would award damages - proof they were bullying, proof this caused anxiety, proof this anxiety stopped you going work, etc.).

As for the defamation of character well as I said you need to prove real financial loss because of this. You don't get awarded 'feel good' damages generally. If you were passed up on a job offer because they're saying that you're lazy when you're not... maybe but again judges are very wary of awarding damages when there is not real financial numbers in front of them, like "crashed into my fence, costed £3000 to fix".

You would be better off spending your energy going and getting that job ;), maybe if you're pissed off make a complaint and say you're not happy with them telling lies / misinformation as you feel it might hamper your job searching if the staff have a negative view of you - if you're professional and nice about it.
  • Options
    Print off said emails, send them in, prove them wrong. It'll go on your profile and they'll forever think you're a liar.
  • Options
    How would it be defamation of character, I could sort of understand how, but your character hasnt really be defamated (sp?) to anyone else has it?