Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Raised Thyroid Level

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been feeling rough for a good while now and I was put on iron tablets as I was pretty anaemic. Had a check up last week and my blood was retested. My iron levels are now fine but apparently I have raised thyroid levels and they're going to need to do another blood test in a couple of months.

I know that the thyroid is a gland in the neck, but I'm pretty confused other than that. I looked up the symptoms of hyperthyroidism and I do have quite a few of them, but that could be due to anything, I guess.

I know I shouldn't stress myself out about it but has anyone else had any problems with their thyroid?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not personally but I know many people who have including my mum, grandma and mother-in-law!

They all have under active thyroids and are on different strengths of medication for life. This medication does control the symptons and they have regular check ups to make sure all is OK and they are on the right strength.

When mum was diagnosed she was told smoking wasn't good with thyroid probs so she quit after about 32 years of smoking! However my mother-in-law smokes. Mum finds she gets tired and doesn't feel like doing much, her hair became lank and she generally just didn't feel good, however as I said the medication really helps. An over active thyroid has the opposite effect where you have too much energy I think!
    Hi Marina Aniseed,

A couple of months seems like a long time to wait for the right advice and guidance on this. Can you speak to your GP about anything you can be doing in the meantime before the blood tests? You may not even have to make an appointment, some GP's will be happy to talk through any concerns over the phone?

You could also try talking to someone at NHS Direct about your worries and get some clarification about what it means for you?

Good luck and take care :)
    Thanks.

I might go see if the lovely people in the walk in centre will explain this to me as I only found out about this because the uni medical centre emailed me about it, so I've not spoken to my GP about it. I did think a 3 month wait was a bit impractical, especially as I am emigrating in September and would really like to have everything sorted before I fly out. The last thing I want to do is to fly out to Vancouver and then get a message from the uni med centre that xyz needs to be done! I'll ask the walk in people or ring NHS direct and then probably see my GP after Easter.
    I have an underactive thyroid. Going in tomorrow for another test, actually, because I'm pretty sure I need a stronger dose of meds.

Years ago my mother took me in to the doctors because I was tired all the time, that was it, and low and behold that was the problem. Now, the reason for this visit, is because I'm freezing all the time. Only one lonley symptom but thats all it takes sometimes.

It can be heredity as well I believe, as Fruit Loop has shown. My grandma has it and my mother is boarderline. I've read that a change in diet can make an impact but I'd rather just take a pill :p
    Spoke to my grandma last night. Apparently she was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid when she was about my age. This makes a lot of sense!