Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Benefits etc

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not saying I can't do it, but I don't want to do it working at McDonald's. I've done it before, but I worked in retail.

But I just went to the Job Centre and spoke to the woman about getting my JSA back paid. They refused to back pay me from January, instead they back paid me from February 18th, to 18th March. Since that time I've worked a average of 6 hours a week.

Anyway, this just gets worse. I went to the Job Center today and they only back paid me £99 for 3 months worth of JSA. That's a piss take. I've been working for 4.5 months earning LESS than I will on benefits. I spoke to the woman explaining my situation for the billionth time. She didn't know what to do, I was just told the same thing - but due to her she actually cared and wanted to help, but it was out of her hands.

So I'm due to start New Deal courses for 13 weeks in about a fortnight. You know what she said to me? I might need to quit my job., or upgrade my hours which isn't even a option right now or get work to give me weekend hours so it doesn't interfere with my New Deal Scheme. What is the New Deal scheme? It's to help me find a job. They're telling me to quit it to go to a place to help me find one? What the fuck is this? All this and they were the ones who got me the job at McDonald's?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    So I'm due to start New Deal courses for 13 weeks in about a fortnight. You know what she said to me? I might need to quit my job., or upgrade my hours which isn't even a option right now or get work to give me weekend hours so it doesn't interfere with my New Deal Scheme. What is the New Deal scheme? It's to help me find a job. They're telling me to quit it to go to a place to help me find one? What the fuck is this? All this and they were the ones who got me the job at McDonald's?

Surely, you signed an agreement saying that you'd quit your job (in the same way that a part-time student would quit their course) if something came up?

if you want JSA, you've got to be prepared to do what they say. I was sent on a job hunting course - even though I was only on JSA until I went to uni.
  • Options
    No. You sign to say you will do courses that they provide, which I've not said I won't, but they're telling me to quit my JOB to go to a place that is meant to find me a JOB.