Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Failed

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My head of department was very sympathetic.

He said it's likely if I submitted medical evidence I would be reallowed to take a leave of absence and start this year again.

I'm not sure what I want to do tbh, felt good earlier but feel crap again now.
    Sorry you're feeling down again, but hope it helps to know you do have a realisitic third option. Can I ask if you found out how long you have to make a decision?

If you know that then hopefully you can figure out how long you might have to try and relax and decide what to do. Might be good to fix a point when you'll try to have made up your mind, that way whatever you decide you know you'll be in control of the decision rather than missing an opportunity you might regret.

Was it easier when you felt that everything was done with, rather than now you've got to figure out if you want to stay?
    i really cant work any of it out.

my degree wasnt so bad this year, it was when things went all tits up last term and i stopped going to lectures and seminars and then fucked everything up.

I've no idea about timeframes tbh, i have a coursework due in next week but i dont think ill be able to do that. head of department said to see doctor, who i cant see for 8 days anyway.
    It sounds like the way things are going you could do with seeing a doctor sooner rather than later, both for your own health and for the way dealing with universities tend to work.

I'm pretty sure that GPs have to see you within 48 hours if you request an urgent appointment, I'd recommend doing that.
    Well I went in today to try to get an earlier appointment but they said the appointment I'd booked was the earliest.
    Government policy is that you should be able to get an urgent appointment within 48 hours. You might need to kick up a small fuss, or ring up and ask to make an urgent appointment. They may ask you to ring back the same day, or to come to a drop in, but any of those would be well worth doing as I get the impression if you hang around waiting for 8 days you're going to do quite literally that.
    Would you have to retake the whole year, or just the modules you don't manage to complete?

Either way, it's good your head of year is aware of the situation now and I think it's important you keep in touch with him, let him know how things are going and ask him any questions you might have about what to do.

I think the next step though is to see your doctor as soon as you can, and after that then you can have a good think about what you want to do.

Repeating the year wouldn't be so bad - I get the impression that ideally you would like to graduate with honurs, and that would allow you to do that. And if you did do that, it means you could spend the next few months getting yourself better and preparing for next year.

I know people always worry that it's another year to add on to your studies etc before starting work etc, but in the scheme of things, it really doesn't matter that much. What's important is that you are happy, and do what's best for you.
    Yep I agree.

I'm not 100% sure. there is an issue of 'academic advantage' but my head of dept said that since I've been missing lectures etc. that could probably be waived.

Feel bit more positive today, sometimes I feel really down about it all, right now I'm thinking 'well, we will see how it goes' in a slightly more uplifted mood.
    Make the most of the uplifted moments to get stuff done, being it kicking up a fuss to get a doctors appointment sooner, or looking into the paperwork and student finance side of stuff that you'd need to sort to repeat the year so you know where you stand.

If you've not been attending much, then you could probably get around the academic advantage issue. Its not guarenteed, but if you've got your HoD supporting the plan then that's likely to get approved.
    SM - I made a slight fuss on the phone and they magically managed to get me in tomorrow at 11am.

edit: also, hopefully finance should be ok. I've had a family member who doesn't want me to fail 'pledge' to sort me out financially. I will obviously work in the summer, but they said they didn't want the added stress of money to be an additional burden on me which was really kind of them.
    It's funny how often the slight fuss gets you onto the urgent appointment list.

Obviously only when its urgent should it be done, but in this case you do merit it.

Finances wise, you just need to double check your LEA/SFE will fund the extra year, otherwise you end up in a whole new fee category - similar to international students. They're usually fine about single repeat years, but worth getting onto sooner rather than later.
    Oh poop I didn't realise that. I don't think my LEA will fund the extra year since I started Maths then changed after 1 term so this will be like my 5th year.
    http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/uao/ugrad/money/fees.htm

Hmm it says I should be ok whether i get student loan or not?
    It would be worth checking with the financial unit it mentions on that page to contact for further advice. The catch is that Home Undergraduate thing, you have to meet certain criteria to be one of those.

Its not definitely going to be a problem, but LEA funding it to mean you only have the ~£3k feed isn't guarenteed.
    Well it got approved pretty damn quick so my doctor must have wrote quite a compelling note.

Now to find out about the student loan with the LEA and stuff.
    so, is that the verdict, take the final year again? Sounds like a good plan to me :)
    katralla wrote: »
    so, is that the verdict, take the final year again? Sounds like a good plan to me :)

Yep, its suboptimal but my brother said to me - its just one extra year to get a full degree really.
    Is suboptimal the word of the day? I don't see an extra year as a problem, it's not like you're old or it's a race.
    katralla wrote: »
    Is suboptimal the word of the day? I don't see an extra year as a problem, it's not like you're old or it's a race.

I say it more recently yea, I don't know why!
    Well, it's a good word but, it would be suboptimal to overuse it.