Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Soon to be previous employer - but concerned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

Instead of rehashing - if necessary, look here
http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=140801

Anyway, my situation is this. It has always been my ambition to become a Police Officer, It's my ideal job and I've been working toward it most my life (Been a Police Cadet, had work experience with police etc etc)

As cited, this employer (My current employer) will not speak highly of me, for unfair reasons - but simply won't none the less. I'm going to join the Navy or Military Police ASAP, serve 3 - 6 years then go into the Police.

The police scruitinise the whole history of each prospective constable, they'll probably seek comprehensive reference from this lot just as much as the Navy/MP. I can't omit them from my CV because the background check is so extensive and (although not technically lieing) if I'm caught hideing details I'll probably be automatically rejected. It'll probably show up on tax forms anyway.

Should I be concerned about this effecting my future career prospects? As I said, this is a big thing for me.

Comments

• Options
    Do you really think your current employer is organised enough to hold a grudge against you for 3 years?

Have you had any formal verbal or written warnings?
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Do you really think your current employer is organised enough to hold a grudge against you for 3 years?

Have you had any formal verbal or written warnings?

No, I had my probationary period extended by 2 weeks but had no further review.

I'm constantly chastised though, when I'm literally doing nothing wrong. Put on the spot, made a show of, I've heared others talking negatively behind my back in a personal context, patronised. Bullied basically - and that goes to the highest levels within the workplace. There's 60-70 employees there, I'm respected by about 7 of them. None of the management.

I reitorate, there is NOTHING wrong with my performance, the whole matter is a load of small pond-big fish politics that I've no time for. The overall manager is just an egotistical prick too. I remember at first (when I didn't mind him) I used to say to him when he asked me to do something "Alright mate" (mate, common friendly slang, he says it himself). He said to me "Mate?... Mate? It's [name]". He's alright saying it to everyone else though, clearly loves the sound of his own name.

I just hate the notion I'll put in a lifetimes work to achive something, then get rejected based on the fictitious schema of a mean bastard. It can happen, it has to others, that's the fallacy of the reference system.
  • Options
    No, I had my probationary period extended by 2 weeks but had no further review.

I'm constantly chastised though, when I'm literally doing nothing wrong. Put on the spot, made a show of, I've heared others talking behind my back, patronised.

Bullied basically - and that goes to the highest levels within the workplace.

There's 60-70 employees there, I'm respected by about 7 of them. None of the management.

simple, if your leaving anyway open a greivence procedure for bullying, even a tribunal, then if they look into your back ground the police will assume there unfair references is because of the grevence procedure or tribunal you held against them.
  • Options
    legally, your employer isn't allowed to give you a bad reference.

i work for the police. when i applied, they sought a reference from EVERY single employer i've ever had (since i was 16!!!!). pain in the arse when you've had so many :grump:

if its what you really want, you should go for it. don't let anything hold you back. the company you work for may be run by a different manager in a few years time anyway. plus, if you are applying in 3-6 years time, they probably won't remember you anyway!

one my ex employers accidently sent me the reference form when i applied (he was meant to send it to recruitment but sent it me!!!). your employer won't have to write an actual reference letter. they'll just have to fill out a form basically confirming that you worked between x date and y date, you didn't have any warnings, etc...its basically a tick box questionnaire. there is also a small box to fill out to say why they think you'd be good working for them and what qualities they think you'd bring. very simple really.

and yes, you are right, the police do EXTENSIVE searches on you. i accidently missed an old address off my form when i applied. i only lived there for 3 months and didn't even have anything registered there but they picked up on it. i don't know how but they did! thankfully, it wasn't held against me as i honestly did forget i lived there! alot goes into the background checks and they do checks on your family, who you live with, your finances, etc...

if you lie about ANYTHING, it will most certainly lead to the rejection of your application as dishonesty is not something that is accepted. if you aren't honest in your application form, you won't be honest as a police officer. thats the way they'll see it.

my advice to you would be to go ahead with your plans. join the navy then apply for the police in 3-6 years time. if you don't go for it, you'll regret it and always think what if. it probably won't be a problem and even if it is, you can actually appeal a rejection in most circumstances. good luck in whatever you decide.

eta: they do actually check tax records. the reason i know this is because i had a problem getting one of my references myself (i worked for a student union in the past and when i applied, they were closed for the summer!!!) and they told me if they couldn't get a reference, they'd look at my tax records to be sure i actually worked there. also, they question any gaps in your employment history. i had a few employment gaps whilst i was at university and they wanted a reason for all of these gaps despite the fact i was a student and was just taking a break from working!!!
  • Options
    blah blah blah has given some really useful info, and I would just like to add that if you prove yourself in the Navy you will get a sound reference from them which will really enhance your employment prospects as a police officer for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    If its army police it will be a minimum of 4 years :)