Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Having a disability, it is easier to get assisted suicide than assisted sex

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my partner would like to have sex, yet both of us have a severe physical disability and we are not sure how we are ever going to be able to have sex. I have muscular dystrophy and my partner has cerebral palsy. We are both in wheelchairs and unable to move without assisted mobility from able carers.

Comments

• Options
    Are your careers unwilling to help?
  • Options
    Hi Frustrated,

This must be a really difficult situation for you. Like Big Gay has mentioned, it might be worth speaking to your carers about getting help, but I'm also aware that there are times when that could be an extremely difficult subject to bring up. After all, although I don't know your situation, many people are cared for by parents or relatives - so that obviously creates issues, and any carer could unfortunately be uncomfortable around sex.

So it may be helpful to understand the situation you're in with your carers so that posters can help suggest how you could bring up the issues around sex with them.

We do have a section on TheSite that addresses issues around sex and disability - in particular in the article on the practicalities of sex may be able to suggest places to look for help.

It may also be worth looking at the information on the Sexual Health Network, Disability Now, and You're Able - to find support and help from people who've faced similar challenges.
  • Options
    Wouldn't yous be okay having sex on a bed, if someone helped yous onto the bed? Or before yous go to sleep?
  • Options
    Haveyou thought about or looked in to paying a sex worker to help you have a sexual relationship with your partner?
  • Options
    I take it you have tried 'marital aids'?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Haveyou thought about or looked in to paying a sex worker to help you have a sexual relationship with your partner?

That is what I would have suggested, it does not have to be seedy and cheap. It's anonymous too.

Good luck.
  • Options
    hi. Recently I read in the newspaper that there is an agency who helps in assisting sex for disabled, retarded and old people. It is legal, because, I forgot, but it is different from prostitution. Sex is a no go, but everything from 0 to just before penetration is good.

haven't read your post, but you might look into that if you are disabled.