Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Knightmare

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Most TheSiters were only born when this TV programme was airing, so I warn you that this topic might only be for the oldies amongst us :-) Who remembers it? I was aged 9 when it kicked off in 1987. It was a live action RPG that took place in a dungeon within the Knightmare Castle. I thought that the varied rooms and effects were imaginative. I'm not sure what technique was used in the earlier series - superimposing the live action over drawings of the imaginary dungeon rooms. Computer graphics took over in the later series (1990+), and it was never quite the same then. I think that the production team should have stuck with their hand-drawn rooms, and simply created new rooms for each subsequent year. The "wall monsters" were also excellent - the blending of a live action monster against the static drawn wall. Again it only applies to the earlier series. In the later series, these monsters, too, became computer animated and proved less effective for my imagination to play on. But still, Knightmare on the whole was pretty unique and I don't think anything else on television has ever tried to reproduce it. Are there any other Knightmare fans on TheSite?

Feeling nostalgic? Go to Youtube and type in 'Knightmare'. There are loads of vids out there. One geezer has uploaded the entire 8 seasons onto their Youtube account.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought it was awful
  • Options
    I used to be terrified of it. But I was quite little I suppose.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Quality tv. Well ahead of it's time. Theme tune was wicked too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My brothers in-common-law were on it! Nope, they'd be step brothers if their parents were married rather than cohabiting, what would you call that, common-step brothers?
  • Options
    Hey Katralla! Which year / episodes were they in? Was he the dungeoner or one of the 3 sat with Tregard?

Talking of scares, does anyone remember the red wall monster very early on? There were three wall monsters - two were grey and one was red. The red one used to freak me out and still does actually. It became one of my manifestations in synaesthesia :-(
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I <3ed Knightmare. It was one of my favourite programmes as a child.
  • Options
    Knightmare was great. I was an avid follower. That is until the last few series which were, I think, just that little bit poorer.

I also enjoyed The Adventure Game, which was on air until the Challenger shuttle disaster, after which it mysteriously disappeared, only to reappear a bit later for another season, but not quite of the same quality. (And I use the word quality advisedly.)
  • Options
    Cheers guys. It is good to know that I'm not the only one :-) Mist, I didn't know The Adventure Game so I checked it out on Youtube. It does have a kinda early 80s Doctor Who feel to it and I find that appealing. Certainly more appealing than the effects-laden current Doctor Who.
  • Options
    God I still remember how bizarre the difficulty level was. If I remember rightly the first series was rock hard, the second far too easy and then the third seemed about right.

One of those programs I just wished would go on forever - the ending of the show's time was devastating. Mind you I was probably about 14 so that's a little embarressing...

Great show, till they introduced the film bits and got all computer generated, then it seemed to lose a lot of it's heart.
  • Options
    I totally agree with you Jim - the effect losing its heart when it became more CGI. Again, gotta mention the wall monsters. I found them to be geniunely scary when they were live action. Come 1990 when they were computerised, they were no longer scary, because the realism has been taken away.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Hey Katralla! Which year / episodes were they in? Was he the dungeoner or one of the 3 sat with Tregard?

I don't know, they are twins and were both in it together, I didn't grow up with them so, I'm not even entirely sure of their names. But, I know they were in Knightmare, how random!
  • Options
    God i hated Knightmare! I found it incredibly boring but then i've never been into stuff like that.
  • Options
    I thought it was the best when I was a kid, saw an episode of it not so long ago and thought "meh", some things are best kept in the past.