Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

HAHA! Way to put us off...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, they are trying to put us off taking Meow Meow at school. So... they handed out postcards with information on the back... and on the front... WAS A PICTURE OF A REALLY SMALL CUTE, BLONDE, KITTEN SITTING IN A FIELD!!!!!!!
I'm sorry, but in NO WAY has that put me off. I :heart: that kitten.
Xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What was the written info like? Did they give sources for the information?
    It was like "Methadrone is plant food, but it can kill you if you take it" blah blah blah blah blah.
    This is my point to the government: WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU BANNING A DRUG THAT HAS KILLED LESS THAN 10 PEOPLE, WHEN YOU SHOULD BE PUTTING EFFORT INTO BANNING THINGS LIKE SMOKING THAT HAS KILLED 1000'S!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just because smoking is more wide spread, if we all started taking heroin, would they have to legalise that too?
    Xx
    Heroin's quite a complicated one, I think heroin was introduced to get people off methadone and/or other opiates, and then heroin became the street drug, which they then banned. Something like that.

Does your leaflet say any health concerns from taking Meow or... just don't do it or you'll die?
    Yeah I think it did, I chucked mine, but I put one on the notice board in forum *Have been premoted to notice board moniter now :lol:* so I'll look tomorrow.
    But seriously, pisses me off, it's not going to stop any of us doing it. It's illigal for us all to smoke, and drink, so why the fuck do they think a little postcard will stop us doing meow? It wont.
    Waste of time and trees.
    Xx
    Just a note, I don't do it, but I know a load who do.
    Even if it won't stop people from doing it, I think it's quite useful to have at least some information. Like, warnings about what symptoms to look for if things are going wrong and what you can do, or when to call an ambulance. You're right though, just saying 'don't do it' probably won't do shit.
    I am in high school ;)
    12 to 16.
    Xx
    geneve wrote: »
    They give information about drugs to 12 year olds...?

I remember an acting group coming into my primary school to perform some sort of play / run a workshop on drugs for my year. This was when I was in Year 5... so aged 9/10. Bit early imho, but yeah, its early. I think drugs education is pretty essential as soon as kids get in to secondary school though tbh.
    Where what, 5% of pupils might do drugs, so why make it seem normal or expected for the other 95%? There's a huge difference between those ages.

It's way more than that... at least 200 people smoke, that I know of, and more than that drink. And there are a few who do drugs like coke and heroin... and loads who do weed. Oh, and at least 100 who do meow.

We have 1000 people in my school, and I reckon at least 25% smoke, and I think more than that do other drugs.

And... I don't know what your idea of a 12 year old is... but seriously... we live in 2010. I know about 50 people in my year who smoke, and that's who I know, out of my classes. We are not as inocent as you'd like to think.
    Xx
    Where what, 5% of pupils might do drugs, so why make it seem normal or expected for the other 95%? There's a huge difference between those ages.
    It's a lot higher than that. 15% of children aged 11-15 said they took drugs in 2008 (source). You are correct though that the usage is skewed towards the top end of that range. I guess the positive effects would have to be balanced against the likelihood of making this seem normal to kids.

I agree that a "just say no" attitude is unlikely to get many results, but I do think it's good they are trying at some education. Whether it's of any use is unclear. It would be interesting if you could tell us what else it says, BA? Did it actually say "mephedrone is plant food" or did it say "mephedrone is sold as plant food"? Because the first statement is wrong.
    Oh I don't know :p I'll check it out tomorrow for you, if I can find one I'll post what it says on here.
    Xx
    I really want to know what it actually says too.
    Broken-Angel - who made the leaflets? Did the school produce them or someone else?

I think your attitude towards mephedrone by comparing it to other legal drugs is interesting.

The whole mephedrone situation has made a lot of people reconsider their views over legalisation....but I doubt mephedrone will be so easily available in the very near future innit.

It's a little bit worrying that there are so many people now used to mephedrone and other 'legal' drugs and how easy they are to get and the cost - I think people will be trying anything and everything to get the same effects which could attract some nasty types to sell things that really are unfit for human consumption just for a profit.

I think things like this need to be regulated, it makes me a bit sad to think kids under 16 are caning this stuff - not because that never happened when I was at school but because it is actually bad for you!
    i've been wondering what meow meow was for ages :blush: but have been to bone idle to google it. i thought it was a new buzz word for our faaaaaaaaaaailing economy. weird
    Drugs are bad and something to be terrified of, that's all kids need to know; it worked a charm with me and my friends.
    You have to appreciate that this approach might have worked for you and your friends, but there are many other kids for whom it will do absolutely no good. From the sounds of it there was never really any chance that you'd take drugs - this isn't the same for everyone. Many will ignore the "drugs are bad" dogma and take them anyway, and others might even be encouraged by the "just say no" attitude.
    This is my point to the government: WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU BANNING A DRUG THAT HAS KILLED LESS THAN 10 PEOPLE, WHEN YOU SHOULD BE PUTTING EFFORT INTO BANNING THINGS LIKE SMOKING THAT HAS KILLED 1000'S!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the point is that it is legal to buy, therefore a) easier to get hold of and b) it gives naive youngsters (this isn't a dig by the way) the impression that it isn't as dangerous as other drugs when clearly it is as it kills!
    Regardless of the reality, drugs SHOULD not be a part of life and they shouldn't be portrayed as such with postcards and leaflets.
    Do you mean drugs "should not" be a part of anyone's lives, or just children's lives? I think most people would agree it's sad but true that kids will take drugs. On the other hand a lot of people would disagree if you're suggesting it's morally wrong for anyone to take drugs, so to sugar coat the world and pretend to children drugs dont exist would be extremely foolish and risky.
    It's a sensitive issue that needs a far more considered approach. It's like handing out condoms to all 12-16 year olds, perhaps it will only help those who have already fallen off the rails.
    Again it's a question of balancing positive and possible negative effects. I don't agree with your analogy - I think it's more like educating 12-16 y/o kids about sex, which is a good thing if it empowers them with the knowledge and confidence to make an informed and possibly safer choice.
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I think the point is that it is legal to buy, therefore a) easier to get hold of and b) it gives naive youngsters (this isn't a dig by the way) the impression that it isn't as dangerous as other drugs when clearly it is as it kills!
    I'm not going to say mephedrone isn't dangerous, but the news stories have to be taken with a large pinch of salt. I haven't read any evidence of pathology reports - only 'associations' or 'links' with mephedrone - which don't necessarily indicate that a specific drug in someone's system caused their death. Two of the dead apparently also took methadone (an opiate) and alcohol, as has been mentioned before. It's likely that as a drug becomes more popular, it will be taken by more people, including more reckless and poly-drug users. So these deaths could purely be an indication of mephedrone's popularity, rather than its specific dangers.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    drugs can be fun. save for nicotine they have never nagatively affected my life. as an informed adult why shouldnt they be part of my life?
    Weekender Offender 
    Just because smoking is more wide spread, if we all started taking heroin, would they have to legalise that too?
    Xx

Opium used to be legal - Sherlock Holmes used to smoke it, and we went to war with China because they didn't want us to sell it to them in exchange for tea

Heroin was Bayer's brand name for diamorphine - which is widely in use in medicine
    I am well out of school and have very little clue about what these drugs are. that's all kids need to know; it worked a charm with me and my friends.

I can believe you find ignorance to be bliss. You display it readily enough
    What a truly fucking scary thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They give information about drugs to 12 year olds...?

We (as in Police schools officers) do drugs education/awareness lessons to Year 7's and 6's. At primary school we educate them about alcohol/tobacco and inform them of the existence of other drugs then when they get to secondary school we start to teach them about the illegal ones.

Most kids try a drug iniatially either because of peer pressure or curiosity. If you take away the "what is it like" factor and give them the skills they need to say no to people you're already onto a winner.

There's no point just saying to the kids that "drugs are bad, they will kill you." They are curious, yes that way will stop a lot of kids trying them but not all of them. By explaining to them the reasons why, the reasons why people might take a drug, the effects and the possible side affects lets them make a choice. And we've found that even fewer will get involved.

As an example, with just alcohol. In the last few years since we started teaching properly about alcohol and it's effects, the numbers of alcohol related incidents involving young teens outside of school has fallen to practically nothing in our area. 7 years ago on a Friday night I'd be catching groups of kids with crates of beer just wandering the streets getting pissed.
    Now we're lucky if we catch a few with a can between them.

Are they still drinking? Of course they are, just now they're doing it in a more responsible way and from the looks of it in the safety of their own home.
    Geneve, honestly, I don't know what your idea of children is... but if they didn't hand out condoms I can safely say there would be loads more people in my school pregnant.
    And, if they didn't give drugs lessons, there would be loads more people dead from taking drugs.
    It wont stop us taking drugs, but it might stop us dieing.

I hope, for your own sake, you never have children. You'd be in for a shock.
    Xx
    Oh, and I don't think the leaflets where made by school... probably the government or frank etc.
    Xx
    I rather hope my children will see an entirely different world than the one you find normal. Hence why I have very high requirements for the time that I might raise a child.

:rolleyes: Seriously, what an unrealistic view of humanity you have. Going to keep them locked in a cupboard till they're 18 are you? Even then when they leave home they'll be like, "OH FUCK YES! I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!" And then go and do everything they've always wanted, but in vast quntities.

Anywho, I found one of the leaflets (not the info one though, sorry!) It says....
    "So i had my first experiance of meow two nights ago. I took it cuz "everyone else was taking it". At first i felt so amazinf, confident happy, buzzing, appreciating the music etc. But then the first kicked in... my mouth felt like sand paper, i must have drunk at least 17pints of water. My friends where crying worrying i was gona flood my blood but no matter how much water i drank it didnt quinch my thirst and i needed more and more. I was buzzing and cudnt sleep, my boyfriend said i wasnt myself and acting like a differnt person which at the time made me feel good, becuz i didnt like myself very much and wanted to feel better, but this only lasted for that night. so while my boyfriend slept, i was dancing to know music, on my own, then when i tried to sleep i got paranoied, then started puking up blood, methadrone in a liquid form and alcohol. i was rushed to hospital, loads of blood taken and put on a drip. Then i became sucidial, wanting to take my own life and not caring about any1, but just getting out of this world, and then i had a nervous break down. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!! The happy feeling you get when you first take it, it not worth the depression and sickness that follows. I have also lost all feeling in my right foot and feel like there is a side-ways digger in my throat. This is NOT an over-exaggeration of how i felt, its an under-exaggeration. it was alot worse than this. My brothers friend also died on a week-bige of the stuff. DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!! Oh and by the way the person that keeps saying "whats with the firsttime one-account users" we are smart enough not to take the st again when we realise how dangerous it is and we dont want people going thru what we went thru or worse. DONT TAKE IT!"

It says it was a submission to a blog in October 2009, and the leaflet was made by Frank. Also, sorry about the grammer problems etc, but I copied it word for word.
    Xx
    How mature. Well plenty of people dont have tonnes of extra curriculars be it through lack of income, or lack of interest, or even just shyness. Not to mention certain drugs are so common at universities, its very easy to be put in that peer pressure position once again, despite being older and "wiser" there was plenty of weed and MDMA going around during freshers week at my uni, a time when the upheaval could make people more likely to cave to peer pressure, we can all be as secure in ourselves
    illegal drugs

Methadrone is currently legal. And, I don't do illegal drugs. (Okay, it's illigal for me to smoke/drink because I'm too young, but the drugs themselves are legal)
    Xx
    WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU BANNING A DRUG THAT HAS KILLED LESS THAN 10 PEOPLE, WHEN YOU SHOULD BE PUTTING EFFORT INTO BANNING THINGS LIKE SMOKING THAT HAS KILLED 1000'S!!!!!!!!!!!
    Xx

IMHO its not up to the government to ban stuff so we wont take them. Where's your brains and backbone? Cant you see with your own eyes that these things are bad, without anyone else having to tell you what to do?
    Generally school teams don't cost a whole lot of money, and lack of interest... do you mean in extra- activities or life in generally, because surely that would dicount drugs too...?
    I'm just saying it's a effective approach.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :banghead: :banghead: Geneve, you know NOTHING about children. NOTHING.

- It costs money to go to most youth clubs (£2 per day at my local one, and £3 for after 5pm)

- No one does after school clubs. Ever. We hate them, they are boring and a waste of our free time. We want to run out of school ASAP.

- Drugs are fun. No matter what you say/think of them, being high makes you... High. It makes you happy. A lot of people will do drugs just for that!

Oooohhh fuck! You really have made me angry! YOU CAN NOT CONTROL YOUR CHILDREN TO MAKE THEM DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. WE HAVE OUR OWN MINDS AND CAN MAKE OUR OWN CHOICES!
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    IMHO its not up to the government to ban stuff so we wont take them. Where's your brains and backbone? Cant you see with your own eyes that these things are bad, without anyone else having to tell you what to do?

Personally, I think all drugs should be made legal for over 18s, but that's another issue.
    Xx
    Also just wanted to add my 2p on the drugs education side. I think kids are naturally curious and if we just go "DRUGS ARE BAD DONT DO DRUGS!" they are more likely to go and make use of that curiousity. I think drug education should focus on both the positive and negative effects in an honest way. I think people respond better to open and honest dialogue than rampant scaremongering