Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Housing -- references -- mental health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello

I want to know when I move next, when do I approach referees for their sentiments? Can I use the housing association for a reference? When do I approach them if I'm considering moving in 18 months. Do they have to have the new address? can i just ask to keep a note saying "To whom it may concern.. [tenant] was fine and paid the rent he has no criminal convictions, safe person. salutations."

Can it be done over the phone? Would a private landlord accept a reference from supported housing or someone with just a license to occupy?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi MisterMister :wave:

I just noticed that you haven't had any replies on this. In my experience the references that they ask for when renting would usually come from your current employer or your previous landlord. They (the letting agency or the landlord) usually just ask for a name and that person's contact details. They will then get in touch themselves to confirm that you paid your rent on time for example or if you say you are in employment they can make sure you check out.

If you're not moving for another 18 months then nearer the time you may just want to let the people you plan to put down as references know that they may be contacted.

In terms of using the housing association for a reference, I can't imagine this would be a problem although to find out for sure you may want to talk to someone at the housing association or you could call a housing advice helpline such as Shelter on 0808 800 4444.

Our askTheSite advisers can also provide housing information, if you submit your question they will reply within three working days.

All the best for the future move!