Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student NUS Extra Card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I declare myself as a student, even though places like the Job Centre don't. I don't belong to any college campus, I'm home learning at the moment and funding it myself (just barely), but I'm wondering if I am still capable of getting a NUS Extra card?

When you register it tells you to "Enter the name of your place of study", well mine is classed as distance learning, so what would I put? (HLC does say you get a NUS card, but I haven't had one! If you go onto "Course Benefits" - http://www.homelearningcollege.com/Courses/IT-And-Computing/CompTIA-A-Plus/ )

And this leads me onto a second point, am I still capable of getting any funding to help with the costs of said course? It's currently costing near £1700, I've paid some of it off, but I was later hassled because of a missed monthly instalment and my debt was later sold to a collection agency. With them I'm paying £5 a month whilst my funds are low (I did arrange £20, but my funds have dropped to that point where not even that is possible.)

I've spoken to places like Citizens Advice, but they never helped with the funding aspect. They referred me to charity's who fund people in my position but I don't have any dependant children, no alcohol/drug addictions, or past convictions.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    hi there,

Sorry to hear you're struggling a bit financially. Being a student can be really tough on the pocket so it's not surprising you're hoping to get an NUS card. First things first, are you studying with HLC? If so, their website clearly says 'free NUS Extra card' with every course so it sounds like you have grounds to call them up and complain if yours hasn't turned up. If you're not studying with them, I suggest emailing NUS card queries but they do take up to five days to respond.

On to your questions about funding: As you will have realised, funding options depend on your age and your circumstances - whether you're living at home, have any dependents, or any special educational needs. If you tell me a bit more about yourself I'll be able to give you more specific information. In the meantime this basic article about funding options might help you. Direct Gov also has as section called 'paying for your learning' and the option to email an advisor or request a call back. Also, have you considered a career development loan?
    Hope that helps to start with ...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I'm studying through HLC. They give me the materials and online guides to study, but I don't know what to put down through the NUS website for my place of study. I asked them recently and they say they don't actually give you a card, you have to apply and pay the £10 yourself, which I don't mind doing. Their website just says I have the right to get one.

I'm not sure what or how to get a career development loan. The career I want is usually always in every case self-taught. There aren't any direct paths through college and university. Which is why I've not been back. I am currently thinking of a course which is suitable, but still isn't direct for my chosen career. Most who have the job I want do have a degree of some form in Computer Science. Which itself is a pretty huge field. Which is why I have opted for the CompTIA A+ course because that, along with others like MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, CCNA, A+, Server+, Network+, Linux+ and so on are designed for that career.

I want to be a System Admin inside a data centre, rather than a school of some sorts.

Would I be able to get a student loan to help me with living costs/course fees (Paying off the debt?) since this isn't a institute but a privately owned business? Because I know tuition fees are paid directly to colleges/universities, but I'm not sure how to class HLC apart from a normal company.
    I would imagine you're not eligible for a student loan, because there are quite specific rules about which courses are and aren't eligible for student loan and government funding.

As far as the NUS website is concerned, if its not a drop down menu then put something like distance learning and see if it gets accepted. If not go back to HLC and challenge them as to how you get a card.
    I thought that would be the case. :( A friend has said he is asking for me, because he has been through the process. I'm quite ignorant in it all. :$

Ah, sweet. Putting in "Distance Learning" gives me - "No matching places of study could be found, please try again.", but entering Home Learning College, as the company name, gives me the option to choose them. Seems this issue is resolved. :)
    Ta Da
  • Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Glad you got the NUS card question resolved!

On the question of funding, it's difficult to get funding if you're studying with a private company, I'm afraid - student loans are only available for people who are studying at an institution. If you scroll down to the middle of this page (where it says 'Can I get help paying for the course?') you'll see the options laid out more clearly. A career development loan is suggested by directgov - this involves going to your bank and and asking for a loan, which you then pay back (with interest of course). It's only a good option if you're sure you'll be able to get a job with the course you're doing, so it's important you do some research about the kind of jobs you can get and make sure the courses match them before you committ to an expensive loan. It sounds like you're not quite sure about how to get into the career you want - have you seen, on the HLC website, there's a section about careers and a student forum where perhaps you could find people to ask? There's also a number you can call - if you're paying HLC lots of money to train you, then I hope they can help you with a few career questions too..! Good luck.
    I've researched into my chosen career, and for as long as I can remember I've always been under the impression it was totally self-taught. Only recently have there been university's (USA based only unfortunately) that cater courses to my career rather than IT in general - which you see everywhere, but it's not cost/time/learning effective.

I know of what qualifications are required, and those that are sought after, its just I don't think I could cover the costs of these and get closer and happier to my chosen career. I just wish the UK was more tailored to this. I'm researching into alternate methods through college/uni, but they still leave me in a broad spectrum but closer. I'll see.

Only other option is to strive for self-employment and hope experience can suffice for studying.
    Is this National Union Student's card only available for the students in the United Kingdom? I have heard about this as well as the controversies it faces.. I heard that in order to be an affiliate or to have the card you need to pay for it.. And it depends on how many affiliate it has.. Please correct me if I'm wrong... Thanks.

A student studying at a UK university can choose to join the National Union of Students (NUS). There is a small fee for joining. The benefit is that an NUS card shows that you are studying and that you are eligible for valuable student discounts. It's a UK thing, but I expect other countries have similar schemes.
    who are all these people?! ^^
    Aigars wrote: »
    I visited Philippines a few months ago, and I think that my nephew who is already residing there has this rewards card. There is also a small membership fee, however, it's not about discounts.. You'll get points everytime you shop, and these points have an equivalent value in Philippine peso..

Thats a loyalty card, very different thing.
    The National Union of Students or NUS is now currently represents the over 5 million students all over UK.. and I'm glad that they have this kind of membership where students that are having a tight grip off their allowance.. Only those students who are enrolled in open university has the chance to have an extra card.

Erm Im sure its more like half that amount.
    who are all these people?! ^^

Spammers, methinks.
    Spammers, methinks.

aye i thought that but its the weirdest spamming iv seen, no links just loads of new accounts with one post talking nonsense. strange.
    It can happen. I've seen something similar on this site before. A new member joins, gets a username, posts a couple of innocent messages, then starts popping up all over the place with marketing links ...

Of course, I'm not saying that that is what is happening here. It just seems odd to have so many Noobs posting their very first messages in response to something they appear not to understand.
    As far as Im aware you cant get a student loan after you have done the course.
    G wrote: »
    As far as Im aware you cant get a student loan after you have done the course.

:yes: You can only get a student loan if you enroll on the course.

Many places (Blacks & Odeon, being 2 of them) also accept university / college cards as valid ID for student discounts.
    Java, hope you don't mind but I'm going to close this thread - the ip hits on a load of accounts posting here were identical so it's clearly been been pulled out as a possible spam target. I'll clean up the accounts and close it, just repost if you need any further help man :)
    Oh and just a quick note, don't forget you can report a thread if you see something strange going on :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.