Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Budget 2010

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    It depends on the department that's cut?

I'm not saying my dept is perfect, just that we can't afford to cut more staff. We already struggle when people are off on holidays in the summer!

I DO fear losing my job. I have a disability and many employers will not touch me. I've seen it in interviews, when I bring it up, how the tone changes (or I need to do IT tests and I struggle because of the time frame and I can't read so fast, despite typing fast)... But I need extra support with learning and have to be honest about it.

I'm good at what I do, I'm a people person and get a lot of praise from management for being good at dealing with sensitive issues... But people don't see past the label a doctor gave me. It pisses me off because I am such a proactive person and can work well once I get past the barrier of all the reading in training.

Saying that, now I have some public sector on my CV, I may be more employable.

But without knowing your department and what you do I can't say what could go. It may be a lot of work, but is it done in the most effective manner - not just by you, but all the way through the chain.

Also if you get praise from management and are seen as good, you have less chance of being made redundant than someone who is a slacker and crap at their job. And unfortunately after quite a few years in the Civil Service I've seen plenty of them.

To be fair there are other cuts that can be made - we don't need to travel first class most of the time (and more use could be made of videoconferencing), there are plenty of buildings half empty because departments won't share, furniture etc can be kept another year before being replaced, more moves to a 'paperless' office etc
  • Options
    But without knowing your department and what you do I can't say what could go. It may be a lot of work, but is it done in the most effective manner - not just by you, but all the way through the chain.

Also if you get praise from management and are seen as good, you have less chance of being made redundant than someone who is a slacker and crap at their job. And unfortunately after quite a few years in the Civil Service I've seen plenty of them.

To be fair there are other cuts that can be made - we don't need to travel first class most of the time (and more use could be made of videoconferencing), there are plenty of buildings half empty because departments won't share, furniture etc can be kept another year before being replaced, more moves to a 'paperless' office etc
    I have never heard of anybody in my department using first class transport, apart from maybe the office manager.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I have never heard of anybody in my department using first class transport, apart from maybe the office manager.

But plenty do - Grade 7 and above are entitled to first class travel on business. I once went on a trip to Leeds with various civil servants from other departments - my colleague estimated that it cost close to £5000 (and that's assuming they all booked once we heard about the meeting a fortnight in advance)
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that it was only the super strength cider that was effected, but I can't find anything to back that up. Anyone know?

NOOOOOOO, not my beloved cider!
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that it was only the super strength cider that was effected, but I can't find anything to back that up. Anyone know?
    Darling has said he is taxing white ciders with the tax more, because "teens binge drink", basically just calling out White Lightening there. The plan is it will put people off drinking so much, by simply making it a more expensive night out so they don't drink as much. It is going to affect all ciders from what I gather.

I don't really see the big fuss, is it a fuss that your drink is now 15p (if that) more expensive, or is it that the government is "trying to take more money from our pockets, thieving bastards!"?

I don't really care, not because I don't drink, because I do. Just not that often, and Cider is really the only drink I have the most of on a night out, but it won't stop binge drinkers drinking any less. May aswell make a few more million to put into the treasury from them causing so much anti-social behaviour, even if you "shouldn't tax the ones who just enjoy a pint", you pay for other peoples mistakes everywhere else. Why is this so special?
  • Options
    avoid cider tax by buying it from a farm :D
  • Options
    This budget and taxation round is the calm before the storm. Next year onwards, whoever is in power, are gonna squeeze us until we squeak. Be afraid. :(
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    This budget and taxation round is the calm before the storm. Next year onwards, whoever is in power, are gonna squeeze us until we squeak. Be afraid. :(

Yep, and despite raised taxes and "efficiency savings", its going to be even worse for those of us who work in government with yet more funding cuts, cuts and more cuts (tho I only do it part time to fund my uni lifestyle)

Personally I view all politicians promises with cold cynicism as they all seem to be different shades of grey. Seems to be whoever you vote for these days is still gonna screw you over (while making a nice bit of cash for themselves of course in the process)