Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My dad and sister (illness)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well...
My dads dieing.
He's now got to start injecting himself every week because his arthritis has got that bad. It's some really strong medicane, that's really expensive so they only give it out to the most ill patients. He has just said to me that when I next see him he's got to show me how to inject it, incase he gets so bad he can't do it himself. He said it's quite likely this will happen.

And my sister, I have also juts been told, is going into hospital in May for a few weeks. She is on really strong medicane, she's only 3, because she had a bladder infection... but it's got so serious now that she has very few white blood cells, and wont be able to fight off any infections. She's going in for MRI scans, untrasound scans, and another type of scan I can't remember. My dad said she's seriously ill, and she has had to drop out of nursery.

Fucking great. You know, I didn't think I'd actually care... but I'm fucking crying my eyes out here. :crying:

Comments

• Options
    This is very tough. I don't want to be insensitive and mention a name, but there is at least another person on here I am aware of that went through one of their parents dying, so maybe you could talk to this person about it.

I know little about your relationship to your father (only that the one to your mother isn't the best), but this is the best opportunity to bury the hatchet and spend time with your father and say and talk about the things you never did, before you cannot do that anymore.
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear you have all that going on.

*hugs*
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear this on top of everything else you have been through.

This wont make you feel any better, but things were probably easier for me than they will be for you. Unless he has other health issues, your father could survive with arthritis for years. At least my father was able to live some kind of normal life between attacks, but yours will become increasingly dependent on you as the pain gets worse and he becomes more and more immobile. The trouble is you only get one shot at being a great kid. I wasn't. I regret terribly that I didn't make more time for my father. We had a good relationship, but I was lazy and self-centred. I never realised until it was too late how much I would miss him. I still do, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Like StrubbleS says, we don't know very much about your relationship with your father. Like I said, people can go on with arthritis for years and there are undoubtedly going to be some difficult times ahead for you all. Treasure the good times that you have left. Try and make sure all the memories you have will be good ones.

Apart from the bladder infection, do they have any idea what's wrong with your little sister? Try to take comfort from the fact that while young children can fall very seriously ill very quickly, it is equally true that they have an amazing capacity to bounce back. You are all in my prayers tonight.
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear this BA. Try and make the most time with your dad and sister as you can and I hope your sister can be treated and will be okay and that your dad will be with you for a while yet *big hugs*
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear that BA must be very hard on you..As the others have said try an be there for your father and help him, im sure even your presence will make life for him so much better. With regards to your sister I would just like to say that my older brother was told he was going to die several times when he was a child because he had severe heart problems, they said there was very little hope for him, yet now he is in his 30's has a kid and a successful business, I know its not the same situation your sister is in but whjat I mean to say is when hope seems lost sometimes life throws another chance to people. So stay positive as much as you can for your sake and your families...You will find that these type of hard life situations will make you grow emmensley as a person and im sure you will cope fine with what lies ahead...stay strong and try to stay positive..
  • Options
    My dad has been ill for years. Since he was about 17/18 (he is now 41) But he was only diagnosed when he was like 30, because he'd refused to go to the doctors his whole life. I know he tries to put a brave face on, but he has had to stop skateboarding, riding is moterbikes, and he can't even drive very far anymore. He can't even fucking walk very far!
    Example: I told him I eas going into Nottingham- on the bus like I normally do (he lives about 30mins away from central Nottingham) and I just shouted this down from upstairs. He shouted back he'd take me, because he had to get some stuff anyway... I go downstairs and he is crippled over on the floor in agony. So I said, I'll get the bus. But he insisted he was fine and that he'd take me.
    He just doesn't want to admit how much pain he is in.

I get on with him alright, we get on better when it is just me and him. Because I don't like his wife (which is why I don't go and see him much.)

And my sister is more ill than my dad will say. I already know that. He asked if he could phone me tomorrow, and I said I didn't know because I'm in Brighton and staying at my aunts. He said I'll ring you there, so you can say hello to your sister. I said that I didn't know if I'd be in, and he mutterd "well she'll ring from hospital on her dea" he started to say death bed. But stopped. I didn't mention it to him though, I just let it go.
    The other thing is, I never speak to my sister really. So it's odd for him to even suggest it. My stepmum says I'm a bad influence on her, and doesn't want me seeing her or contacting her. SHE'S THREE FOR FUCK SAKE!!!!!!

But thanks guys for replying, it's nice to know some people care :)
    Xx
  • Options
    He asked if he could phone me tomorrow, and I said I didn't know because I'm in Brighton and staying at my aunts. He said I'll ring you there, so you can say hello to your sister. I said that I didn't know if I'd be in ...

In the end, your relationship with your father is none of our business, but your comment above sounds so familiar to me. I used to have those sort of phone conversations with my father and it never occurred to me how much it hurt his feelings. In the end, he wrote to me to tell me how important it was to make time for the people you care about. I seem to remember his words were something like "as you get older, time goes much faster and you can't get it back".

I sometimes found speaking to my father awkward at home, as he was divorced from my mum and I didn't want her to overhear our conversations. We didn't have mobile phones back then. You are much more able to speak to your father wherever you are. If its awkward to talk in front of your aunt or your friends, just go somewhere private for a mo.
  • Options
    Is your sister your stepmum's daughter? You can't really be a bad influence on a 3 year old when you don't see them much, and tbh, I think you have more sense than to act inappropriately around a 3 year old, your step mum just has it in for her. Tell her to get off her high horse, you want to see your sister.
  • Options
    Yeah she's my stepmums kid. Aparantly my self harm scars give her [my half sister] "ideas" and she will copy me :rolleyes: SHE'S NEVER FUCKING NOTICED THEM BECAUSE I WEAR SLEAVES ALL THE TIME!!!!!! :banghead: And if she did, I wouldn't go "Oh yeah, did that myself with a knife" I'd say "I was being very silly in the park and fell over" or some shit like that! I mean, she's fucking 3! She's not going to turn round and go "You don't get scars like that from falling over" :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BUT my stepmum smokes fucking loads! And my sister sees her smoking, and walks round with a lolly stick in her mouth going "I'm you mummy" I think that is worse for her!!!!!
    Xx
  • Options
    BA, i'm sorry to hear about whats happening, and as it is you know that everyone is hear when ever you need to get something off you chest, what ever happens know that people care!
    If your stepmum complains about your scars, because she cares about your sister then surely she shouldn't smoke around her, try talking to her about it and maybe she'll stop to smoke around ur sister, hope everything gets better :)<3