Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"quiet" people (restart)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys I saw this thread elsewhere but it got locked because it was too old. however i just wanted to restart this thread to see what people think.
basically what i had said was this
I am a very, very quiet, and I would say I am the most patient and accepting person I know. I'm comfortable with myself and actually think I am a caring and nice person when people get to know me.
But some people think I'm weird or stupid, and as much as I tell myself not to let that get me down it sometimes does.
this issue has been on my mind lately because of some (not really nice) comments by friends.

as to how it affects my relationships.. I find that sometimes I don't get as close to people as i would like.. I like listening to people but shy away from actually disclosing much about myself, with the result that people dont really get to know the real me.

just looking for any like minded people who feel the same, or just general feedback

Comments

• Options
    For some reason I was known for being 'quiet' or 'shy' at uni. My housemates and others that were close to me thought this was hilarious because I'm quite confident, outgoing and comfortable with people I've got to know.

I've been told before that I seem shy, hard-to-get, closed off, quiet. Sometimes I even feel like I must seem stupid to people just because when I'm in a strange environment with people I don't know, I don't feel as comfortable and so seem quieter.

Relationships hmm. When I've been with someone who still maintains I'm shy or quiet then they are generally a bit pants and we don't click as they obviously don't know me or can't bring me out of myself. I'm currently seeing someone who says that it's great I'm so confident and it's daft I have low self-asteem. This is someone who gets me.

I think you will find the same. I don't know the cure to be honest! I've always just made my way through life and discovering people who are on my level. It takes a while but I really value those friendships and don't give a toss how others perceive me; even if the first impression is shy, if they really want to know you they'd make the furthered effort.
  • Options
    I would describe myself as shy, although friends whom I have said that to usually laugh at the mere concept. I don't see the point in speaking when I have nothing to say. Because of this, I've repeatedly been accused of the apparently heinous crime of "being rude". I fail to see how the two can link to one another. I've also been accused of "not caring" about other people because I don't ask about them. Again, it's a non-starter.

It is the only the opinions of family and close friends which should matter to you. The opinions of anyone else should count for absolutely nothing. I would question the motives of those "friends" who are suddenly making such critical comments.
  • Options
    I'm a very quiet guy and will only speak when spoken to most of the time. It makes me so frustrated every day I get depressed. I feel alone because it seems 100% of the people I see or meet are less shy than me. I have very few life experiences too.. due to several years wasted on video games. So, i feel like I have nothing to talk about because I don't seem to do anything exciting every day..or haven't during my life, since I feel that I do don't do things that qualify as having a life. What I hate is when people say that I am quiet, and that "there's nothing wrong with it" when i'm self conscious about it every day and it gets me sick. But at the same time I will agree with people when they think I'm rude, annoying, boring, or whatever they want to say about it because i believe it's true..it's gotten to the point where it defines me and I never wanted that. Anyways it seems like its going to take forever to be able to talk more... but from what i have seen people say that It takes time.. but still i'm already 21 and i'm as quiet as when i was 16 if not less..
  • Options
    Heyy, welcome to thesite :wave:, check the dates before you post. This is an old thread.
    Xx
  • Options
    you made me think malterser monkay came back and that's why I hate you.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    you made me think malterser monkay came back and that's why I hate you.

Malterser monkay was last active yesterday :p
    Xx
  • Options
    only a year and a quarter ago.. does everything i post on have to be within a year? is there a rules thread? I apologize that i am such a noob.
  • Options
    Haha, within a few months really :p Threads go out of date quite quickly. And, yea, there is like thesite good manners guide. And rules too.
    Xx
  • Options
    law1408 wrote: »
    only a year and a quarter ago.. does everything i post on have to be within a year? is there a rules thread? I apologize that i am such a noob.

Hi law, it's mainly just about getting the best response for people on the forum. Replying to an old thread means that old conversations get dragged up and it's fine to just post something new, otherwise other people might not want to respond as the main issues will have already been covered for the original poster.

You can see the good manner's guide here, along with the original registration rules.

But don't feel bad, it can just take a bit of time to get used to things :)
  • Options
    Jim, I am unhappy with the grammar in your first link text :grump:.