Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shutter Island

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone else been to see this? Its really dark and strange and bit scary but very interesting. It set on a secret island used by the US government to treat the criminally insane, and two Federal Marshalls going to investigate the disappearance of a woman inmate who was imprisoned for drowning her three children; and gets darker and scarier from there onwards.. I thought it was really good but left me wondering what had really happened and what parts of story were real and which weren't.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hey! i saw it last night, so good. it made me feel bad because i had always under-rated leonardo as an actor. without giving anything away, it makes you question sanity i guess. the way it ended was very sad.
    I really love it and would like to see it again. I agree with Leo's acting, I thought he was great.
    Ive seen it. I really did like the film and really didn't expect it to end as it did. I mean, I was still going off the woman disappearing and was wondering what had happened to her. Very slow to pick up on what it was really about. I would watch it again.
    I'm meant to be seeing it tonight, so the fact that you guys seem to rate it is a plus :)
    I LOVED it! Really wasn't expecting it to be so good and had no idea what was going to happen! Will be watching it again.
    I really liked it.....but, i saw some blantent mistakes, and everone who I went with noticed them aswell....like when they are interview the paitents, and the women who asks for a glass of water, when shes drinking from it, theres not glass in her hand! And also (i dont know if this is done on purpose) but when you see the lighthouse for the first time, its on a grassy hill, then its in the sea when you see it after :confused:

But I thought that leo was amazing :heart:
    I really liked it.....but, i saw some blantent mistakes, and everone who I went with noticed them aswell....like when they are interview the paitents, and the women who asks for a glass of water, when shes drinking from it, theres not glass in her hand! And also (i dont know if this is done on purpose) but when you see the lighthouse for the first time, its on a grassy hill, then its in the sea when you see it after :confused:

But I thought that leo was amazing :heart:

i noticed the light house things, but i didn't notice the woman not having a glass things :s that sounds weird to me
    I noticed the birds disappear from the water when he walks in the garden to find his wife. That's probably because I got excited about them possibly being ducks.
    I thought it was a great film, though I did find it a little obvious - though this isn't a spoiler thread so I don't want to go into details. I guess I've been spoilt by the real masterpieces of the genre like Silent Hill 2, Vertigo, Don't Look Now, Fight Club or Jacob's Ladder.

As to the mistakes I think you can safely assume that Scorsese would have noticed if his actress wasn't holding a glass. I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who hasn't seen it, but there's a logical reason why those 'mistakes' happen at the moments they do. Again, I'll leave that for some time we're talking about spoilers ;)

But yeah, great movie and highly recommended - for me one of Scorsese's lesser works (along with Gangs of New York, Aviator, The Departed, Bringing Out of the Dead) but his lesser films still beat most people. The direction was surprisingly weak for me (not weak overall, just weak for Marty). He still seems to be telling good stories but he seems to have either lost or decided to move away from some of the really inventive film making that characterised his earlier work. He's clearly making films as if he was a film maker in the '50s but even in those days the best of cinema was still extraordinary.

However, gotta disagree about DiCaprio. He does do a great job but if you sat down and watched Taxi Driver then Shutter Island I think the difference between a competent and a superb actor would be evident.

For a really clear example of the issues with the direction and the acting I'd recommend watching the first scene of Don't Look Now with Donald Sutherland and directed by Nic Roeg. Maybe it's just personal taste but I don't think understated necessarily works when something so horrific is being shown, again avoiding spoilers lets just say, for me, a recovered memory shouldn't be framed in the same repressed style.

Oh and one other thing, shame Saul Bass isn't still around.

I think with Sam Rockwell or Ed Norton as the main character, some riskier or more challenging directorial decisions (although the glass moment is tremendous) and a great Bass opening title sequence you could have had something to rival the very best of Hitchcock.

Great final conversation though but for me making a film as deliberately understated as this doesn't completely pay off.

Oh and for any film buffs with an interest in this actual period of mental health treatment I'd recommend tracking down John Huston's banned 1946 documentary 'Let There Be Light' (which went unseen until 1981 despite being paid for by the US Army) and Titicutt Follies - for the best and the worst examples of post-war psychiatry and attitudes.
    I watched it yesterday and its one of the best films ive seen in years!

After seeing films like 2012, Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and Green Zone in the last few months its honestly refreshing to watch a film that does not have a straighforward plot, filled with visual metaphors and is very very consistant in its storytelling.

Well worth going to watch! :)
    i saw this film last week. both me and my boyfriend loved it!!!!
    Also seen this filem and thought it was excellent!
    I liked the movie, but I went in expecting a little more than I got.

The twist at the end was awesome, and I didn't see it coming - I just thought the pace moved a bit slowly. And, I thought it'd be eerier. One guy in the back row was snoring throughout the whole movie... perhaps that spoiled some of it for me. :razz:

I thought Leo was fab, though.
    boring sorry
    There's the exit then
    >