Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Volunteering and money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to maybe volunteer this summer as I like doing stuffs generally (get so fed up on my own in my room), and it seems increasingly unlikely work will be terribly fruitful. Also it can't hurt as I will be developing skills and also building up my CV.

But for those who volunteer frequently, how do you afford to live?! I have to save up from my part time job at uni just to try and get enough money to last the xmas and easter break, summer is something stupid like 12 weeks which is easily going to cost me £1000+ (£250 / month rent, then my annual trip which with everything thrown in will be coming up to £250). Now if I was working full time I could easily cover the summer comfortably with 6-8 weeks worth of work but that doesn't look likely.

Is it just a case of pleading with the banks for an extended overdraft? Sucks to be a student man :(

Comments

• Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Shyboy,

You don't need to choose one of the other. One summer I spent working mornings in the university print shop (I think I got about £90 a week) that paid for my rent, food and beer; and it meant I had my afternoons free to do more interesting things.

Some full-time volunteering options include food + accommodation (something like the Youth Hostel Association)

Good luck,

Olly
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I live at home, that helps a huge amount! If you don't want a life though, you could always volunteer in the day and then work for money at night.
    Get a voluntary post with free lunch like hospital work and defo one that repays travel expenses
    i tried to volunteer for the local hospital last summer but they never got back to me about it, i guess they get a lot of people wanting to volunteer!! in the meantime i worked for leicester college doing admin and stuff. worked quite nciely :)
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    i tried to volunteer for the local hospital last summer but they never got back to me about it, i guess they get a lot of people wanting to volunteer!!
    same here.........applied to help in a hospital but hit a dead end
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    same here.........applied to help in a hospital but hit a dead end

How far did you get?
    **Helen** wrote: »
    How far did you get?

At one hospital had an interview but didn't hear back afterwards. Told me about a free lunch and travel expenses reimbursed if I got the post. Just hit silence..

At another hospital I rang from reception and was told the person I needed to talk to was away. Didn't bother to pursue on my part
    good!1

Just come here, your said idea is very good.Here anyone know which styple camera is best choice?cheap wholesale digital camera cheap digital camera wholesale cheap digital camera wholesale
    I've:
    -volunteered part-time whilst a student
    -volunteered whilst claiming benefits
    -volunteered full-time on my gap year and was given accomodation, food, pocket money (but still saved up in advanced to have more spending money)
    -volunteered full-time at Winged Fellowship Trust (now Vitalise) and received accomodation, food etc.

It is hard if you need to continue to pay rent but I used to move out of uni accomodation and move stuff back to parents (free rent) before starting this type of thing.

What sort of volunteer jobs are you looking at?
    Sorry randomgirl, the thread is a bit out of date, just a spammer brought it up.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Sorry randomgirl, the thread is a bit out of date, just a spammer brought it up.

Oh yes, sorry I didn't check the dates. Did you decide what to do?
    Well in the end I didn't get any bites with the volunteering, but I managed to get a part time job and that worked out fine to be honest! I would have liked volunteering /as well/ less for CV and mroe to be doing something.