Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should we clear the Falklands mines?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8564061.stm

Since 1982 parts of the Falklands have been host to unmarked, but known minefields. They're all wired off and the only casualties are the occassional sheep and unlucky penguins...

Under the Ottawa convention the UK has signed up to removing all land mines from its sovereign territory, including the Falklands. Critics including the Falklands Govt, say that its a waste of resources and would prefer the UK Govt put the money and resources into clearing mines from countries such as Angola where they still regularly kill. Others say that it is important that countries such as the UK live up to their International obligations, even though the clearance is unlikely to save a single life.

So should we clear the mines or leave them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    we should clear them. After more dangerous fields have been taken care of.
    That's actually a reason for keeping them on the Falklands, geneve... :rolleyes:
    All mines should be cleared off from everywhere, really. Odious devices.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    we should clear them. After more dangerous fields have been taken care of.
    As said.
    We should clear them and then send the bill to the people who put them there in the first place.
    If the Falklands government are saying themselves that where the devices are located means they don't pose a threat and that they'd rather the money be spent in countries that need the help, then who are we to argue?

And after nearly 30 years, will they still work anyway?
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If the Falklands government are saying themselves that where the devices are located means they don't pose a threat and that they'd rather the money be spent in countries that need the help, then who are we to argue?

And after nearly 30 years, will they still work anyway?
    I think that's the main problem with traditional mines- their capacity to kill and maim long after the conflict in question has ended.

Apparently nowdays they can build mines with a limited lifespan, so after a while they become duds. Unfortunately tens of millions of mines across the world are still armed decades after their deployment.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I think that's the main problem with traditional mines- their capacity to kill and maim long after the conflict in question has ended.

Apparently nowdays they can build mines with a limited lifespan, so after a while they become duds. Unfortunately tens of millions of mines across the world are still armed decades after their deployment.

yes, however there is no apparently about it, due to mines/minewarfare being near enough illegal through the Geneva convention (I think or something like that) they've had to create new ones to get round the high civilian casualty rate.

the same with new age cluster bombs. however more on topic, as everyone has said it doesn't pose any immediate threat so I don't think there is any urgency, deal with the ones killing the civilians first imo.
    As an alternative they could always invite the BNP to have their next conference in the Falklands, and suggest they play a football game in the area in question.
    Aladdin wrote: »

I don't doubt it, but 30 years is an awfully long time for something buried in the mud to continue working.

Either way, if people don't live/work in the area then is there a real risk? I think the money would be better spent on areas where the risk is greatest.
    I don't doubt it, but 30 years is an awfully long time for something buried in the mud to continue working.

Either way, if people don't live/work in the area then is there a real risk? I think the money would be better spent on areas where the risk is greatest.

Well world war 2 sea mines are still live and do still go off.. so yah know?
    We could always send out the feckless hoodies and/or illegal immigrants to clear them by hand [/dailymail]
    Seriously though, the Falklands Govt are correct. Clear the risky areas first, then theirs.

Explosives from WW1 kill a couple of people a year still (and they were duds when fired). But yeah I agree its seems a waste of resources to remove them when they could use the expertise and equipment in where they are much more dangerous to life and limb (penguins aside)
    They should indeed be cleared. As should all mines, truth be told.