Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cancelling flights with BA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to New York with the hubby in early May. We have booked flights with BA.

I'm concerned that they will go on strike and we will basically be offered a refund to rebook our flights at a later date. I don't want this because a) we specifically chose the dates so we can go for our first wedding anniversary and b) we have already booked non-refundable theatre tickets and we are staying at heathrow the night before and the hotel room is also non-refundable. Fortunately the hotel in New York can be cancelled without charge upto 24 hours before.

Would I be able and wise to cancel our flights and rebook with another company? Costs of flights have gone up since we booked early so we would be spending more and I'm not sure what the cancellation policy is with BA- looked on their website and found it rather ambiguous! BUT would be really disappointed if we had to cancel/rearrange and I know that once they announce the strike dates you cannot cancel the flights else you lose your money.

Advice please!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You're gambling losing some money now against losing more later, if the strikes go ahead and are on the dates you need.
    I think you will be fine by May. If you booked directly through BA you won't be able to get your money back; just credit for a later flight.
    They are striking this month, so you should be fine :thumb:
    Xx

P.S. How DARE they name a plane company after me! ;)
    Thanks everyone, I'm a worrier by nature and can't help but think that they aren't gonna come to any agreements with the union for a while, they have said that more strikes could come after the 14th April.

Hopefully they will have sorted things by then and I guess there is every chance that even if they are on strike my flight won't be affected.
    They are striking this month, so you should be fine :thumb:
    Xx

P.S. How DARE they name a plane company after me! ;)

To be fair, it was formed quite a while before you were born. Wishful thinking though :D
    Even if it is/was during strikes, you should be ok to New York.
    FCUK it wrote: »
    To be fair, it was formed quite a while before you were born. Wishful thinking though :D

Shhhhh :angel: <--- I'm an Angel, and have ALWAYS been here. :yes:
    Xx
    Darn, just looked on the BA website where they have announced schedule of flights affected during the strikes in March. The flight that we are on is cancelled so chances are if they do strike when we're due to travel our flight will be cancelled. Or so I assume anyway. Sooooooooooo hope they sort this out before May!