Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

To quit or not to quit?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lyric wrote: »
    They won't listen to me.
    I do understand what you're both saying but they won't listen :(
    And they will get into trouble regardless of whether they get a job or not. Because they did not declare mine.
    And they 'can't' work. My mum is suffering from 'depression' and is a carer for my sister with her supposed ADHD and my dad is not even supposed to be living in our house.

Oh right... wow.. so your parents, and I mean no offence ot this are actually commuting benefit fraud, by 1 - not declaring you, and 2 - not declaring your father lives there....
    Yes.
    So, to be honest, they will be in trouble anyway if they are found out. It's not just to do with you... so they don't really have a right to tell you to leave because of your job!
    Xx
    i think theyre gonna be in trouble at some point whether you move out or not.
    I know, but me quitting my job/moving out is avoiding it.
    ... Not really because they will be in trouble sooner or later (as SCC has just said) They can't hide forever.
    Xx
    I know, but me quitting my job/moving out is avoiding it.

no its not.
    You moving out, doesnt mean that you havent been living there for some time without declaring it.
    If they find that out, then they will be in trouble whether youre still living there or not
    The long and the short of it is, it's their house, and their rules. you live by them or you leave. The morality of those decisions, and whether they're breaking benefit rules are neither here not there.

You can't afford your own place, so you can't afford to keep your job.
    tbh if it were me (and this doesn't help I know) but I'd shop my parents in for benefit fraud.. If they kicked me out, I'd want to fuck with them even more.. especially if they're kicking you out to hide their own illegal activities.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    You can't afford your own place, so you can't afford to keep your job.
    nail and head.

Its all very well people saying keep your job because its drummed into us that its the right thing to do, therefore everything else will just work itself out, but it doesnt actually work like that in real life.

Your pay from your current job, wont even begin to cover the cost of living on your own. It wont even cover half of it if you move in with your boyfriend, and you wont even entertain the idea of the cheaper options like flatsharing or bedsits. Youre just gonna end up in a whole lot of trouble financially.
    Youd be best off staying at home, giving up your job until you finish college, and then get another job later on and moving out when you can work full time, and hoping in the meantime that your parents dont get caught for what youve already worked
    But they can or at least they will try to. It's not going to let me just stay here and carry on with my job.
    What do I do for money in the mean time then?
    And I love my job :(
    But they can or at least they will try to. It's not going to let me just stay here and carry on with my job.

i dont get your post. They can or will try to what?
    They will try to not get into trouble over all this.
    What do I do for money in the mean time then?
    And I love my job :(

Thats not the point. it seems that your job, at the moment, is a luxury.

Unless you want to give up college and go full time if you can, but then that is less positive for your future prospects.
    You cant financially afford to go to college, work part time, and run a home at the same time. It cant be done.
    I've worked it out. It can.
    have you taken into account bills? council tax? tv tax? furnishing your flat, your weekly shop?
    you're wrong, but don't let us stop you.
    youre in for a big wake up call
    have you taken into account bills? council tax? tv tax? furnishing your flat, your weekly shop?

Full-time students are exempt from council tax. Anyone who lives with them will receive the 25% (single person) discount.
    Melian wrote: »
    Full-time students are exempt from council tax. Anyone who lives with them will receive the 25% (single person) discount.

ah i see! wouldnt that change though when she finishes college in may though?
    geneve wrote: »
    I wish I could shop them myself.

Ditto to the wake up call. Or maybe it's me that needs one, renting and supporting a flat on 20 hours of unskilled work a week, why the hell am I working so hard then?!

Well, if you're doing this AND spending 340 pounds on shoes... yes you probably do need a wake up call.
    fucking hell. Would people really shop their own parents?? for that????
    fucking hell. Would people really shop their own parents?? for that????

I would.
    For me, the path would be quitting the part time job (As far as the resume/CV is concerned it is to concentrate on studies in the run up to exams) getting qualified; then either going to uni and working as you see fit, or getting a job and moving out.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I would.

id never shop my mother for anything. I wouldnt even shop a friend for something as trivial as scamming the government. Its not like its commiting murder is it. Your mother gave you life!

Family and friends before governments! Its not as if the general public are going to get any sort of rebate the more people are shopped
    I think the family needs some proper benefits advise as the mother can actually work in small amounts similar to those that she is not declaring, but declaring them with no penalty. Similar rules would aply to Lyric too.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I would.

As would I.
    Xx
    It wouldn't save the country any money to do so though, so who wins?
    I guess I'd turn a blind eye, as long as it wasn't excessive - the scale is far lest than "legitimate" tax avoidance.

But I'd let them know how upset I was, and by turning a blind eye, I guess I mean turning my back.