Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Applying for a loan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So im in the process of applying for a loan for going to uni in Birmingham and this is how i thought everything worked: Theres two loans, maintenence and course, the course loans goes straight to the uni and you never see it, so lets forget about that. The maintenence loan goes up to somewhere to £3,500, but if your household income is below £25000 (which mine is) you are entitled a bigger maintenence loan, up to £4,950 or something, and because you have a low household income you get £2,950 grant that you dont have to pay back. So i thought i would be entitled to everything! But ohhh no, it cant be that easy, i found out today that if you get the full grant (which i think i do) your maintennce loan is subsituted like £1,200 - £1,400, so that leaves me with around £3,500 to find accmodation. Now the accomodation in Birmingham is around £4,700 a year, i cant really find any cheaper that isnt near my uni.

So when i take that £1,200 - £1,400 off my maintenence grant it leaves me with around 40 quid a week to live off, my mum cant give me any money at all, she really cant afford it. Is that do-able? My boyfriend goes to uni there now, and says it is.....but i really doubt it....I dont have to think about trains, as my boyfriends parents takes him there and back so i would go with them. My mum doesnt think that 40 quid a week is do-able....

I also wanted to know if there is anything out there, that i can get hold of some money? like organizations? Im hoping to get a job while im there aswell, but im not getting my hopes up with how everything is at the moment.

I just need someone whos maybe been to uni to put some proper perspective on it please :( im worried i wont be able to live off 40 quid a week....i have a back up option of going to lincoln, and its much cheaper to live there, but the course isnt as good as birmingham....

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is there university accomodation available?
    Aston do one, which is really cheap, around 70 quid a week unlike most which are 110 a week....but Birmingham City Uni (the uni that im going too) dont have their own i dont think :(
    Will you not be able to get a part time job while you are at uni?
    im really trying to find a job! i applied to a job the other week, and they had a 100 applicants for 1 full time job and 1 part time job....its really hard :(

And i will look into it, but the houses arnt near my accomodation and in bad areas apprantly...
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Will you not be able to get a part time job while you are at uni?

im hoping! im already looking now just to get a feel of what sort of jobs are advertised there... my boyfriends cousin works in the pizza hut there so i could always ask her....
    Have you spoken to the student's union - they may have an accommodation office
    what could they do for me exactly? i feel like i've actually looked at every accomodation going....
    I don't know what they could do for you - but they are used to dealing with people in exactly the same situation as you - so I hope they'll be able to offer advice tailored to the local area, and what bursaries or hardship schemes the University offers.
    ah yes, i did forget that the university does offer a 500 pound bursary if you get the full maintenence, but that doesnt come through till around feburary....i'll give them a call tomorrow...

This might sound stupid, but do you think aston will accomodate me if i explained my situation to them? as a last resort?