Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car Troubles :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I have a 1999 Renault Clio RN - bought about a year ago (well daddy bought it as my first car and going away for my teacher training). Naughty car failed his MOT in January and I parted with nearly £400. That hurt - also because insurance had to be done the following month so another £650 in February. Naughty car starts making terrifying noises - back in and costs me £275 to get something brake related fixed. Also £80 for new front tyres as mine were worn. Naughty car comes back from the garage and the next day the dials start going NUTS. They're flying about all over the shop, the dashboard is resetting whilst I drive and they have it for 4 days before they discover the 'coil' was shorting out. Yesterday another £220. Driving it today. I swear the steerings loose :crying:

2 weeks and it's cost me £495. I am teacher training i.e. I don't have a wage. I get some money from uni but that goes on rent and food. I get student loans - the last one was in January and I get the next mid-April. I live with my boyfriend who is earning £34,000 a year and my dad sends me a cheque for £400 to cover the car. My boyfriend says "Oh your parents always send you money when the car goes wrong" i.e. he helped in Jan with the £400 bill and paid half. Boyfriend says "I hope you intend to tear up the cheque." I am so skint. Boyfriend wants to go on holiday twice in the next few months - I've just told him I don't think I can do it. I can't cash my dad's cheque and arrange a holiday?! I don't have an income and the steering is a big issue. He let me pay on a new interest free credit card. He doesn't seem to get that I have still spent money and still owe it i.e. putting holiday expenses onto credit cards that are interest free for 12 months.

Surely my car cannot go in with one problem and keep coming out with another. I am panicking about money, riddled with guilt about this cheque sitting there promising to make things easier and the idea that boyfriend just doesn't get it. I pay half of everything - it's all down the middle but I pay everything for the car because I am the driver - residents permit, petrol (even if we use a whole tank at the weekend riding around places), insurance, repairs. I don't know if this is relationship issue or money but I don't have a leg to stand on going to the garage asking why when it comes in to be fixed it comes out with another problem?

The car cost £1200. I've paid more in the last 2.5 months then the car costs. I am scared of going back with the steering but can't give up the car. What can I do?

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Get something other than a Renault.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can't afford to not accept your parents' help and, if they can afford to do it, you should let them. You can pay them back one day but right now you are basically unwaged aren't you?

Your boyfriend wants you to not accept your parents help but also wants you to go on holiday when you are skint? I don't get that at all.
    I think what I'd do is -

1. Keep the money from your Dad. It's been offered, accept it.

2. Tell your boyfriend that if he wants a holiday, he'll have to pay for it.

3. Find another garage, as the one you are going to sounds like they may be introducing little faults.
    It's alright for your boyfriend to say not to accept it, he's earning.

As for the costs, paying more to fix a car than the car is worth is utter madness. I'd consider getting another. Some people buy cheap run arounds and just get rid of them if they fail the MOT, it's normally cheaper than ploughing money into it to repair things.
    Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to contact my uni last night and they've suggested a few funding places I should speak to for these unforseen issues.

I don't really want to get rid of the car because (apart from this sudden and slightly suspicious spate of issues) it is a great car.

I am keeping the money from Dad and I spoke to them both about it and they reassured me that they're fine and I shouldn't worry.

Sorry - it was a lot of rant last night. Working in accounting/banking his perception of money is different to mine and he was very lucky getting the job he had. I do have a teaching job secured as of July but basically I am running on student loans.

The holiday thing I've said no to and he says 'let's just check out possibilities Sunday'. I'm still going to say no. I can't accept £400 from my dad and spend it on a holiday and I wouldn't. Because the bf is financially secure (he moved £1500 to my current accounts attached isa to exploit the money in April because I can't afford to place money in it!!) he doesn't have a clue about what it's like for me right now, and we live under the same roof!! It is something I will rectify with him but to be honest, I am snowed under with work and stress spending any money is completely off the books for me anyway - I cannot be persuaded to part with something I don't have!!

Thank you people :)