Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do to in London?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Not going til the Summer, but im already thinking about what we can do when we're down there.

Reckon we'll be going to the science musuem at some point, but thats about as much as we've thought about.

What are your favourite things to do in London?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    get on the train and go back home
    Ho ho ho.

London is an amazing place. So much to do:

- Natural History Museum
    - Tower of London
    - Victoria & Albert Museum
    - Madame Tussaud's
    - Somerset House
    - Westminster Abbey, HoP
    - London Eye
    - Trafalgar Square
    - St. Paul's
    - Royal Parks (Hyde, Green, St. James' and Regent's, plus my favourite, Battersea)
    - Buckingham Palace
    - Picadilly Circus, Oxford Street, Regent Street
    - Soho and Covent Garden

That's just what I can think of at the moment, there are millions of things to do.
    actually i do quite like mulling around covent garden and camden
    get on the train and go back home

:thumb:
    Not the London aquarium, its shit
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Not the London aquarium, its shit

Ditto London Dungeon apparently.

The markets are also pretty funky; Portobello, Borough and Spitalfields are pretty good.
    Ditto London Dungeon apparently.

Really? Rubbish :(. That was totally my next Day Out idea.

OP - Natural History Museum is good BUT if you're going in the summer then take a hat and a lot of water because it took us an hour just to get inside when we went over the Christmas break. It was raining then, which was bad enough, but I don't think I could have done it in the heat. Same goes for all the other 'big' attractions - I hear the queue for the London Eye gets pretty long these days.

Oh, and ETA: Don't bother with London Zoo. Seriously not worth the money.
    London Dungeon is alright. Though not sure if it's worth the cost.

I love the whole Soho/China Town, Covent Garden and Leicester Square area. My favourite part of London.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    London Dungeon is alright. Though not sure if it's worth the cost.

:yes: I love it.
    • Go and watch an independent film with guest speaker panel at the Curzon cinema in Soho...
    • Mosey around Primrose Hill - lovely part of Camden when you're marketed out and has the Museum of Everything - really cute and free arty museum.
    • Portobello Road
    :heart:
    • Spitalfields is not what it used to be but still has a great buzz and also has the more traditional pettycoat lane market and Brick Lane on the door step.

Loads of choices for night life and restaurants too, depends what kind of thing you fancy and you don't have to spend a lot for quality. :)

Can you tell I'm a Londonphile? ;)
    I never got the whole Camden market fetish. Like I guess it's kinda cool the first time you visit, and I do love all the cheap 'food from around the world stands.' But after a couple of visits, it's just kinda boring. I never actually buy anything from there anyway, other than food. Most of it is a load of crap.
    Covent Garden :heart:
    The musums, and the art galeries (spelling?)
    Xx
    If the weather is nice and you are there for a few days how about Kew gardens. I loved it there and really cant wait to go back, I'm hoping that we go this spring/summer.

I also loved the natural history museum and spent ages going round there, that was my treat for my birthday a few years ago.
    I never got the whole Camden market fetish. Like I guess it's kinda cool the first time you visit, and I do love all the cheap 'food from around the world stands.' But after a couple of visits, it's just kinda boring. I never actually buy anything from there anyway, other than food. Most of it is a load of crap.

I hate Camden as well - i much preferred Kensington back in the day and Carnaby street before it got all tarted up - not that its soooo bad these days.

My favorite museum is the V&A but it is a bit of an acquired taste

I will also make my usual bid for a trip down the river to Greenwich
    Wyetry wrote: »

Oh yes, I agree! Greenwich Market > Camden Market, even if it doesn't have omnomnom tasty fajitas.
    go see a show?
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I hate Camden as well - i much preferred Kensington back in the day and Carnaby street before it got all tarted up - not that its soooo bad these days.

Innit. I just don't dig the whole 'alternative cool shit man, like you can totally get new rock boots for a fiver duuude, and check out that dude's tatts!' Fuck off and stop trying to sell me shit. lol Although it is quite pretty by the canal.

I've only ever known Carnaby street to be filled with tacky signs and blow up animals, so can't really comment there.

I am a fan of Greenwich though, and I agree with you on the boat trip. You may aswell stay in Greenwich for the night and check out the nightclub 'Matter' in the 02 Arena (Millenium Dome). It's owned by the same people who own Fabric, and it's a fucking quality new club.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

I really like the Indian stalls as they sell all the 'crap' I like ;) some of it cheaper than in the country itself.

It's also amazing for bargains at the end of the day (at least the proper markety bits as opposed to posher and perhaps poncey stables...) I bought a dress for £3 at the end of day one Saturday, saw it in a shop for £20 a week later.
    best time to visit London?
    Between 2 and 4:30pm.

Seriously though, there's stuff going on all year round. The weather is unpredictable at best though it can be stunning in late spring/summer though conversely it may also piss it down. Plus it's a little bit magical in the winter where there are ice rinks at the NHM and Somerset House and the German Market in Hyde Park.

I guess there is no best time, just how tolerant you are of the weather.
    Thanks for this thread. I have a few weeks in London to kill. I got told to go to the RAF museum (I live around thei corner from this and have never been) and another one - which I can't remember the name of. (it's in Hendon - very close to Middlesex unviersity)
    ooh i love the london dungeon and tower of london :yes:
    london dungeon needs an acquired taste in order to appreciate it though i guess. only bad thing about it was the price and having to queue for over an hour outside in the rain :impissed:

london zoo is great too but u have to do it in good weather. i went when it was pissing down with rain - god knows why - and kindve ruined the whole thing. been in the summer though and it was much nicer :)
    Is there a rule against smoking in hotels in london?

We've been looking for a smoking room and all the hotels we've looked at so far seem to be exclusively non-smoking. Am i missing something lol?
    thats confusing cause it says "We offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms." but then further down the same page says "All Public and Private spaces non-smoking"
    I just googled something like london hotel smoking room and a few things came up. If you can't find a smoking room, it's just another reason not to go...
    Meh, just smoke out the window innit.
    Are there any sights in particular to see whilst there? I have about 4 weeks in London and need to do something. Don't want to go to museums all the time.
    SHOPPING!
    Xx