Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

We haven't had a Jan Moir love-in for a while....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    she wasnt even doing it in public. She was in a bloody changing room
    she wasnt even doing it in public. She was in a bloody changing room
    This. Jesus.

It's not like she was stood in the middle of the shop with her tits out ffs.
    Gah, I walk into any newsagents and see breasts displayed for men's pleasure, on the middle shelves too. I don't see why women shouldn't breastfeed in public. I very rarely see anyone doing it. If I were breast feeding again, I'd expect to be able to do it discretely in public without being asked not to.
    Bizarrely enough the anti breastfeeding brigade who aren't slagging the poor woman off for daring to feed her baby while out and about are taking the angle that she was selfishly depriving a potential customer of a changing room. Despite there being no queue. And the fact that she was a customer who was also trying things on.
    Because you know, there's always a queue for changing rooms in charity shops :banghead:
    oh god, that woman.
    oh god, that woman.
    I agree.
    LOL @ Jan Moir.
    Like every other "commentator" in the Mail she is just a vapid, self-obsessed bint. Who really gives a toss (except obviously Mail readers) if the woman was breast feeding in a private changing room. What the hell was the guy doing looking anyway?
    Franki wrote: »
    It's not like she was stood in the middle of the shop with her tits out ffs.

Not that it should matter if she was.

I love this comment from the delightful Moir - "After finding Anisa Baker in a compromising position with ten-month-old Elsie"

A what? How the fuck is breastfeeding a "compromising position"?

Thene there's this: "perhaps the shop manager did not behave with the utmost tact and charm"

Perhaps? He walked into a changing room, which a woman was using note, and told her that her breast milk stank. I wouldn't say he "didn't behave with the utmost charm", I'd say that his actions were completely outrageous.

Having said that, her manners were a little lacking too. I don't think it's right that she went into the shop just to use their changing room to breastfeed and on that aspect only I agree with Ms Moir. That does prompt a different question though - where else could she have gone.

As usual Ms Moir misses the actual outrage in this story - that a woman felt that this is the only place she could go to breastfeed and even then was treated like a social pariah. That is a disgusting endictment on society, and is partly why only 30-40% of women choose to breatfeed in the first place.

Many of the comments just further depress me... I hate my fellow countrymen sometimes.
    katralla wrote: »
    If I were breast feeding again, I'd expect to be able to do it discretely in public without being asked not to.

I think that's the key thing she's missing. I have never seen anyone breastfeeding in public that wasn't being very discreet - I don't know where these militant breastfeeding mothers that she seems to hate are, but they certainly haven't been waving their nipples about anywhere near me!

And that shop manager sounds like an utter cock.
    ive breastfed in public loads of times and ive never had a single negative comment. Mostly noone notices, but a couple of times an old dear came and praised me.
    You hear of all these horror stories of people getting negative reactions, but ive always found it fine.
    Not that ive breastfed for a while
    The only person I've seen breastfeeding in public was you SCC and that's because I was sat next to you at the time.

oh wait I'm lying, a woman was breastfeeding her baby in wagamama a couple of weeks ago. Nobody batted an eyelid.
    katralla wrote: »
    Gah, I walk into any newsagents and see breasts displayed for men's pleasure, on the middle shelves too.

Yeah, quite. If you're hoping to get outraged at the sight of breasts, there are far easier targets. I've seen far more tits on the front cover of Nuts than I've seen breastfeeding.

But god forbid people should see them doing what they are actually designed for! Outrage!
    It seems like win-win to me. Any normal person wouldn't give a shit, and those who are outraged deserve to have it thrust in their faces on general principle.
    Glad to see we're all in agreement, even if it doesn't make for much debate :D

As for that woman, it is clear to me that rags like the Mail actively seek to have such columnists on board even though their pieces are of no worth, as there are never serious consequences to anything they ever write, and they see any outrage caused as good publicity.
    It seems like win-win to me. Any normal person wouldn't give a shit, and those who are outraged deserve to have it thrust in their faces on general principle.

POST OF THE WEEK :yes:
    POST OF THE WEEK :yes:

agreed. post it scc and i'll vote for it!

:yes: I agree entirely
    Last time I wrote regarding a certain notorious piece by Jan Moir, I got slated. This despite the fact I hadn't defended her at all, calling her a crap writer.

I now take that back. Jan Moir really is becoming a bigger cunt by the day.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This despite the fact I hadn't defended her at all

Yes you fucking did:

"Charlie Brooker - another unbearably smug cunt in the Polly Toynbee mould - proves this yet again here. Jan Moir, in my view a relatively poor writer, writes a piece which doesn't really say anything at all here. Yet one or two slightly ambigious sentences are taken by Brooker to imply homophobia. Yet again, we see The Guardian - who are always keen to accuse tabloid newspapers of inventing or embellishing stories - using exactly the same tactic. Presumably it's okay when boring loss-making broadsheets do it?"

"If someone considers it "sleazy" to invite a stranger back to their apartment, that's a legitimate view. I doubt this "young Bulgarian man" was going back to the apartment simply to have a nice cup of tea, though."