Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TV license refund

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello
I need to garnish proof that I have not used a TV in my address since I moved in in January 2009. There is no ariel socket in my house and I sold my only television last summer.

What evidence can I provide the licensing people with to get my money back?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why did you leave it so long before claiming a refund?
    My understanding is that by paying the fee you're paying for the right to recieve a television broadcast, not for actually watching television.

I've had a small refund in the past but that was because I'd paid more upfront and when I cancelled the license they refunded the extra amount.

It may be worth speaking to them but in the end there's a good chance that just because you didn't watch television doesn't mean they were incorrectly collecting money from you.

What evidence can I provide the licensing people with to get my money back?

none whatsoever. They will only refund the amount left of the licence from the moment you put in a claim. If you'd told them last Summer that you no longer had a TV then that wouldn't have been a problem.

As you've leftit about 9 months, no chance.
    If you've not got the facility to use TV in the house you moved into in Jan 2009 then it will probably work to send them evidence of the date you moved and a letter with it stating that you have no tv receiving equipment in the property.

In this case the evidence you're providing is the date of the move, and if they wish to verify the lack of receiving tv then they can come round and do so.
    Not having an ariel socket isn't proof of anything except that he wouldn't have had a very good picture.
    I still think it's a lost cause, he'd have been better not paying the licence in the first place.
    I think, with the tv license, you pay for the right to recieve so the fact that you didn't won't mean you can have your money back.