Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Oscar results

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Thoughts?

LATEST: A Kiwi visual effects team has won an Oscar for their work on James Cameron's blockbuster Avatar, while director Kathryn Bigelow has made Oscar history as the first woman to win best director.

Jeff Bridges received the best actor award for Crazy Heart and Sandra Bullock best actress for The Blind Side.

Bigelow made history after winning best director with Iraq war film The Hurt Locker in a strongly contested category in which she went head-to-head with her former husband James Cameron.

The Hurt Locker also won best film.

Weta Digital's Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew Jones collected the visual effects award at the Los Angeles ceremony just before 5pm.

Letteri, in his acceptance speech, thanked "Eileen Moran and everyone at Weta Digital for your talent and creativity".

Avatar, which is also up for best picture, was nominated alongside Disctrict 9 and Star Strek for best visual effects. Aucklander Kim Sinclair also won the art director's award for Avatar, which also won best cinematography.

Bullock's best actress win makes her the first to take home a "worst actress Razzie" award, which she received yesterday, and an Oscar. She bet fellow nominess Helen Mirren in The Last Station, Carey Mulligan in An Education, Gabourey Sidibe in Precious and Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia.

Jeff Bridges won the best actor award for Crazy Heart, beating fellow nominees George Clooney for Up in the Air, Colin Firth for A Single Man, Morgan Freeman for Invictus and Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker.

The Secret in their Eyes from Argentina, won best foreign film.

Earlier Mo'Nique won the Oscar for best supporting actress for her role in Precious, based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire.

Christopher Waltz has won best supporting actor for Inglourious Basterds.

Hurt Locker won best original screenplay.

Up won best animated film.

Best documentary feature went to The Cove, while best live action short winner was The New Tenants and the best animated short film award went to Logorama.

Star Trek received the best make-up award

I haven't seen Hurt Locker yet, maybe I'll watch it sometime this week, but all I can think regarding it is "god, ANOTHER war movie ..."

Think Avatar or D9 should have won. But I may change my opinion after watching HL.

Out of all the best film nominations I've seen 6 of them.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hell fucking no... The Hurt Locker is so so so so much better than the pile of pish Avatar, Avatar is ok but I got bored, The Hurt Locker is abso-fucking-lutely amazing.
    It's a real shame that In The Loop didn't get the adapted screenplay nod. It deserves it based on this scene alone.
    Trust me, though it's far from perfect, The Hurt Locker is a magnificent piece of film-making. It's head and shoulders above Avatar. I could argue about other films but if the final plot of this year's Oscars is 'Bigelow beats Cameron' then I'm fucking happy with it :)
    Jim V wrote: »
    Trust me, though it's far from perfect, The Hurt Locker is a magnificent piece of film-making. It's head and shoulders above Avatar. I could argue about other films but if the final plot of this year's Oscars is 'Bigelow beats Cameron' then I'm fucking happy with it :)

Yes yes yes absolutely,

I do like Cameron, Gotta love Terminator and Aliens series and Love the TV series Dark Angel. but I mean Bigelow in my eyes is an angel :love: for one, and one film only....

I'll let you guess which one it is easy as pie... AND no I do not mean K19 The Widowmaker
    Point Break I assume :p, though I'd favour Strange Days as her disturbing masterclass in film making
    Of course, who doesn't love Point Break
    shit i forgot all about inglorious bastard. that film rocked
    I don't think that the hurt locker should have won! i never even heard of the movie until they announced the nominees!! why do war movies have to win all the time?
    I don't think that the hurt locker should have won! i never even heard of the movie until they announced the nominees!! why do war movies have to win all the time?

WHAAAAAAA you've never heard of the hurt locker... I am sorry but I dont see how you couldn't. It was one of the biggest movies of the year, absolutely brilliant. and NO it didn't win because it was a war movie. it won ebcause of a fantastic, unique script, fantastic acting and one of the best pieces of directing I have ever seen.