Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New Car

Im thinking of getting my first car soon, I have no idea of what to get. A lot of people say different things about different brands.

Im toying between a bigish car for carrying my kit about, and potentially giving the odd people lifts for petrol money. Or a small car, less kit, but no fannying about helping other people.

I have some inheritance money coming my way, but could be a while yet, whatever the situation I was thinking of a new car.

Id like people to voice their opinions on different brands that they have owned or currently owned. Good and bad points please, and whatever you may think of other cars either through experience or word of mouth from friends.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Likely journeys are not just going to be the run down the shop and back distances etc. Would need to do a bit of distance per journey, just not millions of miles per year.
    I personally would not recomend buying brand new, but near new as a car loses so much in value for just buying it, without even driving it, however that is your choice of course.

I know they've received some bad press lately but my Toyota is absolutely brilliant, LOVE it to peices. unfortunately I need a larger car so will get rid of her soon/within a year or so (would deffo go for another toyota) honda's, again very reliable good cars, Friend of mine had his for over 10years and no problems at all
    Ive seen a few instances of cars barely even months old from new reg plates, much cheaper, and with only about 150/200 miles on, thats perhaps the route I was thinking of going.

Perhaps toyotas will be going cheapo at the minute :D
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have twice bought a nearly new car with less than 7k on the clock. They were both just the same as a new car but cheaper :D

Oh, and both were toyota and I've never had any issues with either of them.
    MrG wrote: »
    Ive seen a few instances of cars barely even months old from new reg plates, much cheaper, and with only about 150/200 miles on, thats perhaps the route I was thinking of going.

Perhaps toyotas will be going cheapo at the minute :D

:yes: Yes, this is what I am planning to do, I thought by new you were planning to go out of the factory new no previous owners,

barely new, like Littlemissy is the way to go.
    I've had quite a few different brands, right up from a Rover Metro to a BMW 1 series.

Petrol V Diesel.

Consider your mileage.

If you're doing under 12k per year, stick to petrol. The extra cost of a diesel car isn't worth it, as it will take you a few years to recoup the outlay. Also, turbo diesel cars do not like 'being pottered around in'. They love a good thrash up and down the motorways. Nipping 5 miles down the road will do more damage over time (and lead to possible costly garage bills).

Engine size.

Many 'smaller' engine cars now have some decent power. Personally, for tax reasons, i'd not go above a 1.6 petrol - preferring anything 1.5 and below. For diesel, i'd go for a lovely 2.0tdi or dti lump. (If you're going to do the mileage).

Brand.

Bit of a moot point really. No point me discussing in great depth without knowing your budget. But for a 'typical' figure, you're looking at the usual suspects. Anything from a Kia, through Fords, Toyotas, Seat, possibly right up to beemers etc.

Size.

All depends on what you want from it.

Cost.

All depends on how much you have to spend.

Reliability.

Hand in hand with the cost.

Do you roughly know how much you are going to want / be able to spend?

Have you set aside £ for insurance and road tax?
    I wont spend money just because I have it, but anywhere in the vacinity of around £16,000 cash. Though not necessarily that much.
    MrG wrote: »
    I wont spend money just because I have it, but anywhere in the vacinity of around £16,000 cash. Though not necessarily that much.

There should be a fairly good range of motors available to you at that price, especially if you look at nearly-new.
    You can pick up a 58 plate 1.6 Ford Focus for about £8000 if you shop around. They do about 40mpg-65mpg.
    I've had a 1.8 Focus for a few years now and it really is an awesome car, only problem with it is that the 1.8 is thirsty. We use 1.8 Diesels at work however that just keep going and going. Yes, everyone has one, but there is a reason for that.

I wouldn't buy new if you're paying with cash, total waste of money when you can knock almost 50% off the price of a car buy getting one that's a couple of years old.