Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

To quit or not to quit?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lyric wrote: »
    I'd HATE to share a bathroom. There would be time limits and it could be dirty..

I understand and appreciate all the comments you've made however I have to say even with your BF paying half the bills, I doubt you'd be able to afford half a flat on the £80 a week you said you earn.

Please understand people are only trying to help however I know my monthly bills if it were for me alone would run into about £1200-1400 per month,

remember as well as rent you've got utilities, council tax, tv licence, a phone if you have one, etc etc. it is very expensive to get your own place

Obviously if you've budgeted it well and belief you can do this then great :)
    I'd HATE to share a bathroom. There would be time limits and it could be dirty..

true, but you could always keep on top of the cleaning.
    It also might not be as bad as you think, and it wouldnt have to be long term. Renting an entire flat is a bit of a luxury at your age. Most people share out of necessity when theyre starting out, and put up with the bad bits because its so much cheaper. A lot of people actually find they enjoy it. Surely there are time limits on your bathroom at home too, living with your family?
    geneve wrote: »
    Can I make a very non-judgemental, within the rules, gentle point that it's probably not a good idea to have a baby when you are struggling to find somewhere to live.

:yes: Yes, I agree, I didn't want to mention as it was part of a seperate thread but I went through that with my wife and it was hell trying to find somewhere to live while expecting a child.
    You could get benefits if you were having a child, even if you did have a job?
    And I should be earing over a hundred pounds a week by the time I'm eighteen.. it will still be tough though.
    You could get benefits if you were having a child, even if you did have a job?

I think I might get banned.....

PLEASE... Please for the love of all that is sane... tell me you are not going to have a kid to get money/a home etc etc...... or your even considering it in your situation...
    Don't worry, I'm not pregnant or anything, I wasn't actually planning to have one.

I think moving out is the best option for me though.
    Oh, and I would be working.
    The whole point of me moving out is so I can keep my job.
    I do have to agree with what Geneve has said, and lets put this into prespective,

I work full time with my wife as a full time mum, I earn 14k per year, I take home after tax £220 per week, I'll be the first to admit I get Tax Credits, I get £120 (including CHB)

£340 per week pays my bills, I am lucky I have VERY good family connections and Free rent basically. otherwise I'd be fucked harder than a nun.

if your only working part time, you do not get working tax credits, you need to be full time, you "may" get child tax credits, but not much more than £60.00 per week I wouldn't have though, you'd get some sort of housing help but not a full amount, also remember you'd have to have time off work to look after the kid, maternity leave, then pay for a babysitter (yes you can get benefits for that) which will only cover a fraction, so tbh unless you can get over £1300 a month after tax, which FREE rent you'd be very hard pressed to raise a kid (and then you can forget about getting anything for yourself.)

I do not mean to be mean, I am being a realistic. This is what I live with, I was 18 when my wife fell pregnant, YOU will have to grow up fast, enjoy going out on friday nights? saturday nights? forget that, enjoy drinking a lot? forget that, enjoy being a teenager? forget that

Your life will change more than you can imagine, do not rush to grow up, enjoy your teen life, take your time. be a kid.
    Fucked harder than a nun :')

I really do understand and appreciate what you're saying but what can I do when my parents are forcing me to quit my job? The only way is to move out..
    Fucked harder than a nun :')

I really do understand and appreciate what you're saying but what can I do when my parents are forcing me to quit my job? The only way is to move out..

Thats fine Lyric, honestly I agree moving out may be best, It just comes across that you imply you are considering having a child/baby
    At the moment, to tell you the truth, I am not considering a child.
    My priorities atm are my new place (getting on my feet etc) and my birthday plans, as well as trying not to fall out too much with my family..
    At the moment, to tell you the truth, I am not considering a child.
    My priorities atm are my new place (getting on my feet etc) and my birthday plans, as well as trying not to fall out too much with my family..

Good, I am glad, it is just when you were asking about having a job, claiming benefits and while having a child it comes across as you were considering it, I am glad to hear :)
    I was just wondering..
    I'm still living at home atm but I will have to move out soon.. it's a big step.

And thank you :)
    This might not be much help....but do you get EMA? By the sounds of your family situation you could be entitled to 30 pounds a week....but im not so sure how that would change if your moving out...

Its not much, but 30 more pounds could do alot :)
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I get £120 (including CHB)

ah ha ha ha ha, and you think it's ok to tell people not to have children on benefits?
    katralla wrote: »
    ah ha ha ha ha, and you think it's ok to tell people not to have children on benefits?

Actually yes I DO because even so I STILL WORK over 48 hours a week, I WORK full time and support my family, except jobs these days pay very little, surely the whole point of the benefits I get is FOR people with children,

the benefits I get are working tax credit (can only get at my age if you've got children in full time work) and child tax credit due to what we earn.

YOU do not know my situation, IF you really want to know something I would get MORE now if I quit my job than what I get from working 50 hours a week.

Im not ashamed to be on benefits, Because unlike most on benefits I WORK, I work fucking hard so don't you dare comment or imply im a Piece of shit benefit scum..
    I do KNOW that you get £120 a week in benefits and yet still think it's ok to tell people not to have children on benefits, and I KNOW that I think that's hilarious!
    I dared to comment, I didn't say anything about being benefit scum though, perhaps those are internalised feelings of hatred you have for yourself?
    Alright folks, calm down, calm down. It doesn't actually help Lyric to get into a row on her thread.
    Someone bringing children up on a level of income comparable to state benefit is in a good position to advise against planning to do so - although if Hellfire were not working he'd be able to take a more active role.
    If their motivation were to advise against benefits because of the level of money in the household that would be a different motive than falsly identifying with others who claim that they would be paying for her to stay home and look after her baby, and that she needs to think about that. It's either misidentification, hypocritical or both.
    I do get EMA, yes.
    katralla wrote: »
    If their motivation were to advise against benefits because of the level of money in the household that would be a different motive than falsly identifying with others who claim that they would be paying for her to stay home and look after her baby, and that she needs to think about that. It's either misidentification, hypocritical or both.

Ah - geneve made two statements, the first that she didn't feel Lyric would be able to afford it, the second that it wasn't fair for geneve to pay for Lyric's baby.

I think it was the former that Hellfire was agreeing with, and supporting with his example, not the latter.
    whos yb?
    i dont think theres morally any difference between getting income support, or getting tax credits. its still money from the government.

i dont think either are immoral
    whos yb?

Brainfart
    I'm not having a baby.
    guys, can we stop turning this thread around on other people, lyric is in a tricky situation and needs our help.

Hows things going lyric? have you found a place?
    guys, can we stop turning this thread around on other people, lyric is in a tricky situation and needs our help.

:thumb:
    I was in a similar situation a year or 2 ago. Basically I am the only person in my house working, so my mum had to pay £94 rent a month and £25 council tax, it won't nessacerily be all the housing benefit etc just coz you are working part time hours.

The comprimise we came to was that I would pay the rent and council tax and not pay my mum any board and lodge.

Prehaps you could discuss this with your parents as it may work out much cheaper for you to do this than move out xxx