Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prison

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of my best friends was caught by the police with another boy, who had drugs on him. The police have acused my friend of dealing the drugs, because his mum told them he took drugs.
Now, he didn't. They wern't his, and he doesn't take drugs. The school are going to kick him out and he might have to go to court.
Is there anything he can do??
Thanks,
Xx

Comments

• Options
    Was he caught with them in school?
  • Options
    Outside of school, by the police. On a school day I think though, but not school hours.
    Xx
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Taking drugs is not illegal.

Having them in your posession and dealing them is.
    If there is no evidence of either than the school and the police can get fucked. They can't throw him out of school or convict him without any evidence.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Outside of school, by the police. On a school day I think though, but not school hours.
    Xx

I'm curious as to why the school are seeing fit to expel him then. Unless the crime is serious (usually involving violence and there's a risk to other pupils) schools don't generally get involved.

As to what will happen to him, you don't say how old he is, has he ever been arrested before, what drug is he supposed to have had e.t.c.

If for example he'd been caught with a spliff outside a school for personal use and he's generally remaind out of trouble before I'd expect, from previous experience for him to get a caution, certainly not a court appearance.

If however he's been caught within (or outside) the school dealing drugs then I'm afraid he's got problems if it goes to court and he gets found guilty.

From what you're saying however it was the other lad who was caught with them and not your friend, in which case the police have to prove your friend dealt them to the other lad. They can't use his mum saying he takes drugs as evidence of anything other than he uses drugs.

Ultimately, he needs to find himself a solicitor.
  • Options
    He's 14, and yeah he's been arested before I think. Or, at least fined for things.
    And, he doesn't even know what drug it was. He said it began with an S, but wasn't speed.
    He deals fags and alcohol at school though.
    Xx
  • Options
    He's 14, and yeah he's been arested before I think. Or, at least fined for things.
    And, he doesn't even know what drug it was. He said it began with an S, but wasn't speed.
    He deals fags and alcohol at school though.
    Xx

Like I said, if he wasn't caught in posession of the drug then it's up to the police to prove he was dealing. How they'd go about that, god knows as I can't see inside their heads.

I'd recommend he stops selling fags and booze to people in school though, that will get him kicked out.;)
  • Options
    I would tell your friend to be careful of anything he or his mum says to the police before he has taken legal advice.

Remember anything you say to the police can be used against you, so if you tell PC Jones that you were sharing a spliff with your friend they could infer you saying you gave the spliff to your friend which could lead to evidence of dealing in court.

Of course hopefully the police would have more common sense as whowhere alludes to but really the only advice I can give is for your friend to seek legal advice, and quickly!!
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I would tell your friend to be careful of anything he or his mum says to the police before he has taken legal advice.

Sounds like that horse has bolted.....
  • Options
    But, can he go to prison or anything even if the drugs wernt on him?
    Xx
  • Options
    But, can he go to prison or anything even if the drugs wernt on him?
    Xx

Theoretically yes. If the police can prove that he had the drugs and had given them to someone else then he is guilty of supplying them. But this is a worst case scenario and it's based on the assumptions:

1)He actually did supply the drug
    2)The Police can prove he did

And then other things such as quantity e.t.c.

There will also be consideration as to the type of drug. Other factors that will be taken into account are his age, prior criminal record, has he pleaded guilty, if so how early, willingness to name suppliers e.t.c. These are things that would work in his favour. Working against him could be the location of the alleged offence (outside a school isn't good), again prior criminal record, pleading not guilty, refusing to name suppliers e.t.c.

http://www.sentencing-guidelines.gov.uk/docs/complete_compendium.pdf

This file contains the sentencing guidelines for judges/magistrates and might be of some assistance. Once it's loaded just search for cannabis.

Please tell him to get some legal assistance however, he's young/inexperienced and he'll need it.
  • Options
    Right, well, he's being a stubborn bitch and has decided to go it without legal advice.
    The drugs wern't anything to do with him though, I know they wern't.

If they can't prove it can he still be taken to court though?
    Xx
  • Options

If they can't prove it can he still be taken to court though?

It depends. However generally a court case won't go ahead unless the CPS believe there is enough evidence, then it would be for a judge to decide.

He'll pay for being stubborn though, is he under the impression that if he goes "no comment" the entire time like in the Bill he'll be helping himself.....? He really does need representation, if he refuses it then forgive me for being blunt, but he is an idiot.
  • Options
    Right, today we all lost of break times for getting caught smoking... but he's lost them for a month. I find that really unfair! The rest of us only got one day! They wern't even his fags ffs! I think the school have really got it in for him now
    And, he told me the police haven't been in touch. Oh, and I got it wrong before, it was a school day in school hours. But he wasn't in school that day anyway. Does that make any difference to any thing ?
    I also suggested he got legal advice, but he said he's going to leave it until (if) the police get back in touch.
    Xx
  • Options
    Right, today we all lost of break times for getting caught smoking... but he's lost them for a month. I find that really unfair! The rest of us only got one day! They wern't even his fags ffs! I think the school have really got it in for him now

That's what tends to happen if you make a name for yourself as being someone who supplies beer and fags in school. Schools I work in generally have different punishments for different pupils depending on their past histories so it isn't really surprising.
    And, he told me the police haven't been in touch. Oh, and I got it wrong before, it was a school day in school hours. But he wasn't in school that day anyway. Does that make any difference to any thing ?

If you're alleged to have been drug dealing outside a school during school hours and you get convicted it makes it worse generally.
  • Options
    I know this person's your friend but I don't think you're doing yourself any favours by hanging around with him and getting caught doing things with him -you don't want to end up being treated the same way he is by the school.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I know this person's your friend but I don't think you're doing yourself any favours by hanging around with him and getting caught doing things with him -you don't want to end up being treated the same way he is by the school.

I'm in a lot of shit at school anyway... and I really like him, I've been mates with him for quite a while.
    He seriously isn't as bad as I'm sure I've made him sound.. like, he does deal fags etc. but if he didn't a lot of people would get angry.. including some people that you don't want to mess with in my school.

Anywho, he has decided to speak to his head of community at school about it. So, hopefully, he'll be able to sort some of it out.
    Xx
  • Options
    If you've already been in trouble before/are in trouble now, the best thing to do is try to fly under the radar, try to not be noticed at all. Then, once the trouble you've been in has been forgotten, you can shine again.

The kids who are cool at school, who deal fags and have a name for themselves etc are not usually the ones who go on to make a success of their lives, often because they peak too soon. If you only get to be one of the cool kids once in your life (I'm not saying this will def happen), wouldn't you rather be the cool thirty something with a rad life, than a cool teen getting into trouble?

/lecture

*repeats to self, I should not give life lectures to people who aren't asking for them*
  • Options
    I'm in a lot of shit at school anyway... and I really like him, I've been mates with him for quite a while.
    He seriously isn't as bad as I'm sure I've made him sound.. like, he does deal fags etc. but if he didn't a lot of people would get angry.. including some people that you don't want to mess with in my school.

Anywho, he has decided to speak to his head of community at school about it. So, hopefully, he'll be able to sort some of it out.
    Xx

The best advice is often advice that isn't asked for Katralla, people often don't want to be told what they know to be true but don't want to hear.

BA, you might be in shit at school at the moment, but you're at the age where if you turn it around the impact it will have on the rest of your school career and life after school will be negligible. I often say to kids who I've caught doing stuff that they're lucky, they've been caught at an age where we can work with them and stop them getting into trouble before it's too late.

Getting suspended from school at your age for misbehaviour or whatever is bad enough but it isn't the end of the world. Getting expelled 6 weeks before your GCSEs for dealing dope at school, at a point in time where it's too late to secure another school place before exams start is a disaster.

Your mate seriously needs to think about what he's doing, the schools I work with would seriously consider expelling someone who got caught selling beer and cigarettes more than once, and they certainly won't want to keep someone convicted of selling drugs outside the gates.
  • Options
    I'm on the G and T list, every knows that anyway.

Right, well one of my friends has been suspended today for refusing to had over his 50g to a teacher... seriously, I think I might quit smoking, I don't smoke much anyway probably 5 aday.
    The boy this threads about has stopped bringing in his own fags to school as well, because they have said if they catch him again he's in base for the rest of the year.
    Thanks
    Xx
  • Options
    what a strange thread :confused:

anyhow at the original question .. deny deny deny deny ... and deny some more. n keep the mouth zipped whilst at it :yes:
  • Options
    Update...
    Police still haven't got in touch.. And school watch us like hawks! We all went outside today to have a fag, and before we've even got lighters out along comes 4 teachers who are conviniently "picking litter" next to where we were sat!
    Annoying.
    Xx
  • Options
    Annoying.
    Xx

Price you pay for smoking in school really. I'd be concerned if the teachers weren't stopping you from doing it.....;)

As for the Police not being in touch, whilst the wheels of justice turn slowly no news is often good news. Saying that, if it's bugging him I suggest he get in touch with the local station and ask them. They have to tell him what's happening, they shouldn't just leave him hanging on, especially as he is a juvenile.
  • Options
    Haha, there is one teacher who walks over rrreeeaalllyyyy slowly if he sees you have one so you can put it away. He's legend. He smokes, and walks down the road after school to have one :lol:
    Xx
  • Options
    Haha, there is one teacher who walks over rrreeeaalllyyyy slowly if he sees you have one so you can put it away. He's legend. He smokes, and walks down the road after school to have one :lol:
    Xx

I edited my post and added a bit more as i realised I hadn't been very helpful with the more important point lol.
  • Options