Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Too young...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This is just a rant!

I've always been one of the youngest in my year - I'm in 4th year (equivalent to Year 10 (i think!)) but I've only just turned 15.
When you're in primary school, being the youngest in the class is really special
And now it's simply annoying:banghead:
I can't go to university open days because I'm not 16 until next year
I can't do competitions because of my age
And what worries me most is that I won't get into the uni i want, when i want, because of my age

AAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Will you be 17 when you leave school? I know people in my year that are like a year and a bit younger than us and they have applied to uni. Going to open days in 4th year, very keen :D i didn't go to ones until the start of 6th year. Sucks about competitions though :/
  • Options
    I was a year young all the way through school so I know what it's like (a combination of a September birthday and the private education system not really caring about when you were born).

Meh, we all have our crosses to bear. Just take a gap year, grow up and the world will seem a better place. I did, and I'm a much better person for it.

Oh, and a four year degree like I did helps too.
  • Options
    Yep, i'll be 17 when i leave school, and i want to go straight to an english university...so i'd be really young there...and keen is an understatement:D
    As to a gap year, i've never really liked the idea...other than being a year older for uni, what are the benefits of taking a gap year?
  • Options
    It'sMEE wrote: »
    Yep, i'll be 17 when i leave school, and i want to go straight to an english university...so i'd be really young there...and keen is an understatement:D
    As to a gap year, i've never really liked the idea...other than being a year older for uni, what are the benefits of taking a gap year?

Travel
    Get a job, earn money
    Gain life experiences
    Just enjoy being young and carefree, before you're tied down, trying to find a job to pay off all your debts
  • Options
    I have a friend thats going on a gap year to a place in Africa to do a year of volunteer work, with project trust. Generally if you apply for differed entry the uni's like it if you have been doing something 'worth your while' basically something that isn't you bumming around for a year. I say traveling, or gaining work experience and earning money is the best way to spend a gap year and maybe some volunteer work here and there.
  • Options
    My friend got into university when she was only 16. True, she was enormously clever, but it proves that age doesn't really matter for it. I'm young for my class too, but it doesn't really bother me.
  • Options
    Intellectual maturity and emotional / social maturity are not the same thing.
  • Options
    i only went to look round uni's in my last year of sixth form... maybe im just lazy but i didnt know people started looking round when they were still at school cause surely you should look for colleges more then?

& as for the age thing you will appreciate it when you older all the old people would say lol but seriously my birthdays in June so I'm one of the latest it only gets annoying with the drinking/clubbin thing but thats what borrowing older people's id's are for so you still get in :) lol dont worry about it you can't change your age so... :)