Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Driving Licence help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been quite slack with my driving licence details and now I'm panicking.

I only have a provisional licence and the last time I used it for anything other than ID purposes was in 2006 when I failed 2 driving tests.

The address on my licence is my parents address, because that's where I was living when I got it. Since then, I have lived:
1. uni halls but only in term time
2. student house but only in term time
3. private rented house after uni whilst working full time
4. I am now living back at my parents house, and have been since November but I will be moving out in 16 days time.

My name on my licence is my maiden name.

I can't find my counterpart driving licence anywhere.

What can I do? I have been on the DVLA website and it explains how to get your name changed and how to get a new licence if yours is lost or stolen, but it only refers to the photocard part, and not the counterpart. It also stresses that you must keep your details up to date with them.

Am I going to get arrested or something? And will they be able to send me a new counterpart? I can't even find a phone number on their website to give them a call!

I'm really stressing about this :crazyeyes

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hiya hun! ha, don't worry!

my boyfriend had the same problem when we moved to our new address last august. he couldn't find his paper licence anywhere.

he had to pay a fee (i think it was £20 or something like that) for a replacement. when he applied to change his address, he just ticked the box that stated he'd lost part of his licence and attached payment. he got a new licence (and paper counterpart) with his new address on a few weeks later.

you have nothing to worry about. it just means you'll have to pay a small fee whereas if you had both parts, you wouldn't.

eta: you ARE supposed to keep them up to date with name changes, address changes, etc but i think most students keep their home address on there. i know i did. just keep it up to date in future and you'll be fine :)
    hiya hun! ha, don't worry!

my boyfriend had the same problem when we moved to our new address last august. he couldn't find his paper licence anywhere.

he had to pay a fee (i think it was £20 or something like that) for a replacement. when he applied to change his address, he just ticked the box that stated he'd lost part of his licence and attached payment. he got a new licence (and paper counterpart) with his new address on a few weeks later.

you have nothing to worry about. it just means you'll have to pay a small fee whereas if you had both parts, you wouldn't.

eta: you ARE supposed to keep them up to date with name changes, address changes, etc but i think most students keep their home address on there. i know i did. just keep it up to date in future and you'll be fine :)

What she said, I went through what you went through when I got married and changed my surname, it had my old address on and I'd lost my original counterpart.

I believe there is a form to fill out but contact the dvla on 0300 790 6801
    or at http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/drivers_enquiries.aspx
    oh phew! thank you :heart:
    I was so worried that they'd be really cross with me or something. £20 isn't too bad.
    I'll try to find their number and give them a ring. xxx
    oh phew! thank you :heart:
    I was so worried that they'd be really cross with me or something. £20 isn't too bad.
    I'll try to find their number and give them a ring. xxx

um.... its right above you :p
    I know, sorry! I took a while to reply and so you posted your reply whilst I was replying
    Hmm it's better to wait until I'm in the new house until I do this isn't it?
    I know, sorry! I took a while to reply and so you posted your reply whilst I was replying

lmao... :p don't be, Tbh most people hate them but I've always found DVLA to be very helpful.

Yes, deffo wait till your in your new address, just incase something happens etc,
    KHSS, did exactly the same as you. I was a bit sad about the £20, but it was a lot better than all the nasty fines and prison sentences that were mentioned! The post office can provide you with a form to fill out if that's better for you than phoning.
    Hi Sera, long time no see on here :) How've you been?

It's 2 weeks now until I move to my new address so I'm just hanging on until then. At the moment I'm actually in the address that is on my licence, so it's just the name that's wrong and that's not such a biggie cos I've got my marriage certificate to show for it.
    I don't think it's that bad to have the wrong address on your license if it's an address through which you can still be contacted. So having your parents address on is ok, cause if they look for you there, for whatever reason, they'll find you. You could always say that's your permanent address, and the others were temporary.

I wouldn't worry about it! :)
    oh good cos mine still has my parents address on there and i've lived in er.. 5 houses since moving out and am currently not living there either! seems pointless getting it changed because i'm just renting atm and not sure how long i'll be in one place. pretty much everything - bank statements, phone bill etc - still goes to my parents house.