Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A bumper bump..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been driving for almost 9 months now and today upon arriving home from college, there was a car parked on the road half way between my house and next door (Semi-detatched) where i usually park outside my house so i pulled onto the driveway.

After a few minutes of getting in i realised my mum would be home soon and that i should be able to fit my car outside after all as there was just enough space, i went out and reversed my car up to the back of this silver citroen.
I got out once to check how close i was then reversed a little more before stopping, and here is where i made the mistake.

I took my foot off the clutch as i was putting my handbrake on thinking id took it out of gear when i hadn't, resulting in my car lurching backwards slightly but getting caught by the handbrake resulting in me just clipping the bumper.

I immediately got out to check for damage on the other vehicle (Not bothered about my corsa) and so did the other guy who was aparently in his car which i hadnt noticed.

He came storming over with "ARE YOU BLIND OR SOMETHING?!" to which i explained the mistake id made and immediately appologised asking if he could see any damage, fully prepared to swap details. I pulled forward and we checked to find there was no visible damage from what we could tell)

I checked he was ok and he said it was fine and got back in his car and drove off. Parking a little up the road.

I was suprised he didn't want to swap details but it made me anxious that he moved and then stopped again, (Taking down my number plate?) He was there for around 15 minutes before leaving.

Im really nervous that im going to get a call now saying ive been reported as been in an accident and not swapping details but he drove off before i even had chance to speak to him properly never mind swap details!

I forgot to note his number plate and wasnt sure if i should have or what i should have done. Should i be worried? Goodbye 1 years no claims?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't worry. You did entirely the correct thing. You've been involved in an accident where you stopped, there was no damage, no injury and he drove off without giving you a chance to swap details.

Yes, he may try and make a malicious claim about you, some people are bastards but I wouldn't worry too much. Make a note of time/date/place and as much as you can remember about the car as you can and save it somewhere should there be any future comeback. It's also a good idea to goto your local police station who will record it formally. It won't affect your insurance/licence e.t.c. but it will show that you tried to do the right thing.

As for your no claims, losing 1 year isn't the end of the world as it won't affect your insurance too much. Insurers normally only take notice of 5 or more nowadays. I'm on 8 and I only started getting any real discount last year.
    Thanks a lot, your right thought, 1 years no claims isnt a lot and as im off to uni this august/sep ill be selling my car then. (Insurance paid annually ends June)

Im considering making a trip to the police station but i wouldnt really know what to say, but if it wont affect my insurance or anything then i may as well give it a shot.
    Wrong thread haha :D
    you might want to check the small print on your insurance - when you told the other driver of your mistake you admitted liability for the accident. I've had at least one policy where I am not allowed to admit liability.
    Matteh wrote: »

Im considering making a trip to the police station but i wouldnt really know what to say.

Just tell them exactly what you told us.

Minor accident, no damage, no injuries but you're worried that he might make a malicious claim. Is it worth reporting it?

If it isn't they'll tell you there.