Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Having wisdom teeth taken out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My wisdom teeth are coming through. With one of them, I can now feel the top part of the tooth. I am going to need them taken out as my mouth is too small to have any more teeth.

Do I need to wait for the tooth to come through fully before getting them removed? There's no sign of the others coming through; but I am having pains on both sides of my mouth.

Comments

• Options
    I guess it's something to ask your dentist - but my guess is you'll have to wait,
  • Options
    I dont think you have to, some places in America have them out before they start growing I think. We have a teacher from America, and she told us that.
    Xx
  • Options
    You'll need to see your dentist, cause it's a case-by-case deal.

I had two of my wisdom teeth out (although in my area they wouldn't take them out on the NHS until they were actually causing major problems - grrr) and one of them had barely come through. I have one on the other side that hadn't come through that they wouldn't take out because it was too close to one of the major nerves in my face. It's things like this, rather than if they've surfaced, that'll affect if they'll take them out yet or not.
  • Options
    Ooooh me too! My top right one is fine, all through. Left one, pointed, slowly coming and retracting, taking ages. I like playing with it.
    Bottom right coming through now. Painful. No room. Reckons may be on a nerve - dangerous (had an xray) other is apparently coming through too. So getting them all out. Said the top ones are fine, but cos they're so far back, difficult to brush and cos there will be nothing below to stop them, they'll keep growing.
    You can have them out before they've completely come through, I think when they've started surfacing. Be prepared for a lot of money :s
  • Options
    Thanks guys. The pain isn't too bad now. (just after I bought some teething gel; it stopped:rolleyes: )

Will try to find a dentist and talk to them about it.
  • Options
    Definitely go to the dentist, especially since they've partially erupted and are causing you discomfort now.

Wisdom teeth can be removed before they've come through fully, but you'll have to ask about the options (entitled to NHS or have to go private, and resulting costs!). I had wisdom teeth out after an x-ray proved I'd have no space for any more under general anaesthetic on NHS; they initially wanted to just sedate me, but I made a massive fuss and turned on the waterworks... they made the right decision in the end :D
  • Options
    Go and see your dentist asap. I has to have my bottom wisdom teeth taken out as they impacted coming through, but it took nearly a year from the refferal to having the work done.