Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is anyone else stuck in the mid-90s?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
A few years after the 94-96 period has passed, I got nostalgic over those years and I still remain at this day and age. We're talking 1994, 1995 and 1996, mainly on the dance side of charts, some pop and a bit of the Brit Pop scene that was going on. Before 1994, I wasn't tuned in. After 1996, contemporary music went down the drain. I listen to something by East 17 or Take That (old Take That) and even though I've never been a fan of boybands, I find that even this old stuff is very listenable compared to current stuff by e.g. JLS (Jack, The Lad Swing). Is anyone else stuck in these mid-90s years, and if so, what 'new' stuff do you listen to nowadays? Or am I simply too old for this place now? :-)

In 1994, it was all about - M People "Sight For Sore Eyes", Reel 2 Real "Go On Move", Snap! "Welcome To Tomorrow", Blur "Parklife", Deep Forrest "Sweet Lullaby", Jamiroquai "Space Cowboy" (single + album), Massive Attack "Sly, Tori Amos "Cornflake Girl", Pet Shop Boys "Absolutely Fabulous", Degrees of Motion "Shine On", Dawn Penn "You Don't Love Me", Tom Jones "If I Only Knew", The Grid "Swamp Thing", New Order "True Faith '94" and of course Zig & Zig vs Reel 2 Real "Them Girls Them Girls" which, to this very day, still has to be the best novelty record.

In 1995, it was all about - Livin' Joy "Dreamer", Oasis "Wonderwall", US "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me", Sleeper "Vegas", Simply Red "Fairground", Skeelo "I Wish", Perez 'Prez' Prado "Guaglione", N-Trance "Set You Free", Alex Party "Wrap Me Up", Beatles "Free As A Bird", Brownstone "Grapevine", Annie Lennox "No More I Love U's", Freak Power "Turn On Tune In Cop Out", Bjork "It's Oh So Quiet", Michael Jackson "Scream/Childhood", Ace of Base "Happy Nation" (album), Boo Radleys "Wake Up Boo!", EbtG "Missing", Nightcrawlers "Push The Feeling On" and Rednex "Cotton Eyed Joe".

1996 was the tail end of my era, but still a few things - Baby D's "Deliverance" album, Underworld "Born Slippy", EbtG "Walking Wounded" (single+album), Josh Wink "'96 Remixes", Kulashaker "Govinda", Orbital "The Box", Pulp "Mile End", Babylon Zoo "Space Man" and The Smurfs (for novelty factor)

Nowadays - I still listen to Jamiroquai (although post 1996 is too chart friendly), Chemical Bros, anything that you'll find off Hed Kandi / Housexy, and amateur/unsigned records from Soundclick and Freeplaymusic.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes! i hardly listen to any now music apart from florence and the machine.

mostly listen stuff like blur, the smiths, elton john, the beatles, the flaming lips, the pixies...

recently went on a madness binge :hyper:
  • Options
    Awesome Rachael :-) Although the 80s were before my time, you definitely can't fault Madness!
  • Options
    Saw them in concert in Belfast back in November I think...

Suggs still has it :thumb: A really good mixture of people there too! Old folk, middle aged folk even punks with a really cute badge 'Punks Against Racism' awh.
  • Options
    mostly listen stuff like blur, the smiths
    :love::heart::heart::heart:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    When it comes to dance to dance music I'm the same.

It's all about tracks like Ultrasonic - Obsession
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-zlIb9IWE
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Isn't there a well-known phenomenon where over a certain age people tend to listen to the music of their teens, and stop bothering with new music?
  • Options
    :love::heart::heart::heart:

:yippe:
  • Options
    I was only 4-6 in the mid 90's (Born 1991) but have retained a really freaky nostalgic feel for the decade and seem to know it so well.

I also love the 70's and 80's, as dull as they were - I have a real draw to those times.
  • Options
    the beatles, the flaming lips

recently went on a madness binge :hyper:

YES :yes: Amazing bands.
    Xx
  • Options
    I dunno, I like some of the new stuff (Mumford&Sons, Elbow, Biffy Clyro etc, and I will admit to owning Lady Gaga's album), but I agree that most of it hasn't a patch on past stuff. Not 90s though, I'm more 60s-80s.

Then again I am a Zephead and I do love a bit of the old classic rock.
  • Options
    Isn't there a well-known phenomenon where over a certain age people tend to listen to the music of their teens, and stop bothering with new music?

Most of the kids in school were on the charts bandwagon. My early years were brought up on classical and jazz music, so I was stubborn to follow chart music until I was 15 (year 10 / 1994). That is admittedly old to start tuning in then, but it instantly became my peak era until 1996 (aged 15 to 17). Is that unusual?