Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do I stop feeling this way?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know what to do anymore. I self harm and thought I had stopped,but deep down I knew I was kidding myself. I don't know who I am anymore and just feel so lost and scared. I've changed so much and just wanna go back to how it was before I started self harming. People are trying to help,but they don't understand and sometimes make it worse. Just need any help on how to stop feeling so down all the time and how to
stop self harming. Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    As far as I know, there really is no one true way to stopping this behavior. Maybe except having like an iron will. But being around friends and away from triggers helps. Surrounding yourself with people you can have a good time with and feel comfortable and safe with might lessen these urges that you have. Also, do try and stay away from sharp and pointy objects.

If you think that talking to your friends about the behavior is making things worse, then you should probably try and avoid the topic with them. Just like let them know that you'd rather talk about something else. If you really want to talk about it though, do seek a professional who would know more about the behavior so that you can feel like your being understood, or you can always just keep posting here. :) there are a lot of people here who have stopped and others who continue with the behavior. Am assuming that a lot of us have our own issues or problems with the behavior so people here would at least as some level be able to understand what you're going through. Not to mention most people here are quite accepting and understanding.

Lastly, don't put yourself down for relapsing into self-harm. it happens to the best of us. God knows I'd want nothing more than to take up the behavior again, but... yeah. What's important is that you want to stop. And like the old saying goes, where there's a will, there's a way.

Hope this helped even just a bit. :)
  • Options
    Yeah I did kind of feel bad about relapsing into self harm, because I know people will be annoyed at me for starting up again. I thought that when I stopped self harm that I would stop feeling this way, as I thought that it was the self harming that was making me feel depressed, but I still feel the same if not worse. I just dont know what to do anymore, I just want to go back to the way I was before all the self harming and everything. I dont know who I am anymore and for me thats kind of scary, I just want to be happy again.
    I did think about getting professional help, but I hate opening up to people and I think that what I say sounds stupid and that they wont understand me. I do have a mentor person, who is like a family friend, I talk to her about all of it and she helps me as best she can.
    Thanks for the advice, and sorry if anything of what I said sounded stupid, Im not very good with words. x
  • Options
    Hi there limesquash

Sounds like a tough time for you at the moment. But as for being bad with words - well you seem very articulate to me!

Really glad you have a mentor that you can talk to about this stuff - it might be a good time to tell her honestly what's going on as it sounds like you trust her not to judge you and she knows about your situation.

Perhaps getting the chance to talk to someone about what's underneath the feelings of self harming (check out our pages for more info) and looking at other strategies to help lift your mood would be helpful. Can your mentor help with this sort of thing? Professionals are there to listen and not to judge you when things get tough remember :)

Take care :wave:
  • Options
    Umm no my mentor cant help with that sort of thing. I have thought about seeking professional advice but it freaks me out for some reason. I would be scared that they would tell my parents, or section me. I would also be nervous about opening up as I have never opened up fully to anyone before. Thanks for your help x
  • Options
    Really hear your fears limesquash.

Lots of people self injure and it isn't generally a reason to section someone.

If you're worried about what/ who a professional might tell you could always ask them - everyone has a code of confidentiality that they follow and will be able to explain it to you so you can decide if you want to share your story with them and get their help.

Have you had some bad experiences with professionals before? We're not all monsters you know ;) It can feel like a big risk and you sound wise not to want to share the darker side of you with just any body. Part of counselling etc is about building a trusting relationship so that you can start to talk openly and a lot of people find this a relief after carrying lots of heavy stuff around on their own. There's some more info on talking treatments here

Perhaps other users can share their experiences to help alleviate your fears.

Take care :wave:
  • Options
    I tried to talk to someone professional once, but they just put me on a waiting list for somewhere else, so I gave up on that idea. And when I went there it felt like I was just another problem. I have never told anyone that I went to someone professional. It does feel like a big risk for me and this is out of my comfort zone. Last time someone else sorted out my counselling out for me, so how can i make an appointment? And yeah I will look on that talking treatment. Thanks x
  • Options
    I know I've said this already, but I think that seeking out a professional is still a good idea. More so now because there are more things that you want to explore. 'Coz like what you said, initially you thought it was the self-harm that was making you feel this way, then you stopped and felt worse, then relapsed into self-harm. This is an important learning because now, you know that something else is bothering you and that the self-harm is just a coping strategy for that thing that really is bothering you.

Talking with a professional can really put things into perspective and help you see what really is the reason you're feeling the way you're feeling. Am not really a professional where I come from, but some of my friends and people who have been referred to me by friends always tell me that getting it all off of their chests was actually a big relief. It's like because they were able to say what they weren't able to tell anyone in the past, they feel like they can breathe better. I'm not saying bare your heart and soul to the first person you meet, am just saying that seeking out a professional will most likely have its benefits. Also, one of the things that therapy really helps you with is to give you a different perspective with your problem or issue. There are times that because you're so deep into the problem, it's difficult to look at it in any other way. Having someone trained to look at problems in a specific way might be able to help you tackle your issues in many different ways.

Though we're saying that it would be good for you to seek out a professional, at the end of the day, it's still really your choice. I don't think anyone here is forcing you to do something that you may not be ready for or even want to do. We're just saying that, it would most likely be a good thing that would hopefully make you feel better. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I think that it will be a good idea to seek out professional help and might start with the counsellor at school, and then see where it goes from there. I think it will be good to speak to someone new, who isnt going to be affected by what I say, if that makes sense, and yeah it will be good to get another perspective. Thanks x