Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Halternecks and bras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I have a couple of halterneck tops and theres a couple more I have my eye on but I'm always at a loss as to what bra I should wear with them.

In winter its not so bad cos I'll have something over the top to keep me warm anyway so you cant see the straps but in summer theres a problem.

Normal bras are a no as you obviously see the straps
Strapless - are crap and never stay up

Then I thought about either see through straps, or a bra with the detachable straps so you can wear them as halterneck as well.

Anyone used these before, or what do you reckon would be best to wear?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree that there are good strapless out there, just keep trying them on. A convertable bra might work but I'd bring the top or grab a similar one from the store to try on with it else you might get the same brastrap showing problem. Personally I think those clear straps are even worse than a regular strap, they are not discreet at all and look like they would be rather uncomfortable. Though if you need zero support you could always opt for one of those stick on bras :p
    :yes:
    The clear straps are annoying and they are shiny... so people can still see them. Strapless is the best, i find they work fine.
    No no no no I cant wear strapless trust me, I just end up pulling them up all the time, theyre crap!

Plus as I'm a bit larger-than-average chested I like having the support, otherwise I'd feel so so self conscious.
    i'd try the bras you can turn into halter neck styles.
    personally, i really really don't think the ones with see through straps. they just seem a bit pointless because you can still see them, they're not invisible at all - you may as well just be wearing a normal bra!
    Bra straps should only be giving you a very small percentage of the support of the bra, especially if they are larger breasts. The majority of it should be coming from the band so a correctly fitting strapless should be not noticeably less supporative than a strapped bra.
    Hmm maybe I'll go to a bra fitting place and see if they can help me find a proper fitting one. Although i have tried on hundreds on my size and various conbinations of my size and all have felt like theyre just very slowly slipping down
    Definately not a bra with see through straps- as others have said they are visible so pointless really. I think Debenhams are really good for decent strapless bras, get yourself measured so you get the right size and it should be fine.
    If they are not really formal tops have you thought about a halter neck bikini top either the same colour or something really summery and funky. I don't like those clear bra straps even just under a strappy top i would rather wear a pretty strap and make it obvious to be honest. I have a strapless bra with moulded cups like a tshirt bra which feels secure but generaly i dont like them either.