Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sunbed Advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I am having to do this as a last resort but want to make sure I am doing it sensibly!

Following a very stupid 4 hours outside jetwashing my front drive 3 weeks ago I now have an extremely brown back, the problem is it is in the shape of a vest top! I have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks and am meant to be wearing a halter-neck dress, at this present time I will look ridiculous if I do so!

I have attached a picture from a week or so after the incident so you can appreciate the problem :)

I did think about having a spray tan but the cost of having a practise go and then the real thing will cost £50 and is only a very temporary solution...

So, I think my best bet is a sunbed... my plan is to put sun tan lotion on the brown bits and then short sessions to try and tan the rest of my back.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Please understand that I know this isn't ideal and sunbeds are bad for you but I have no intention of doing this long term!

Comments

• Options
    The sunburn might have pealed off by the time the wedding comes around anyway. I wouldnt reccomend sunbeds as your back will just burn more. Think its a case of learning from your mistakes and hoping for the best..
  • Options
    It has already peeled and I have been left with a very brown tanned back but only in the places where I burnt in the first place.

I know sunbeds aren't ideal but I don't think my marks would have evened up by the end of the summer let alone the next few weeks.

I would normally say I was just being a bit shallow and it shouldn't bother me but they are the worst tan marks anyone I know has ever seen and if using a sunbed reasonably sensibly might help this then I think I would like to do it.

I would like some experience of those who have used them, how many minutes they had and how long between sessions.

I haven't completely made up my mind yet but think this is the way to go...
  • Options
    I meant that if you use a sunbed there's no way to just tan the white bits without tanning the rest, so you will be in the same position as you are now but with a darker back and slightly darker white bits..
  • Options
    If I were you, I'd go and chat to someone in a tanning place and get their advice.

I've had a fair bit of sunbed experience, and my initial feeling is that sunbeds aren't going to do what you want them to - your whole back will tan more, so the pale bit will go darker but will still look a lot paler as the brown bits will tan more too.

I would imagine that a fake tan of some kind will be more effective, even though it will only be a temporary measure. But that's just a guess. For sunbeds to work I reckon you might need a fair few sessions, to try and get a whole summer's worth of sun exposure in a couple of weeks. You'd probably have to go every day between now and the wedding, building up your exposure time so you don't burn again.

Whether or not it will work, I don't know, but it's worth a try. Those tanlines are really bad, and will completely ruin the look of your pretty dress!
  • Options
    Do you think if I put suntan lotion on my brown bits that would stop them tanning more giving the other bits a chance to catch up?
  • Options
    I really don't know, I've never tried it. I suppose you could go for complete sunblock, like factor 50 or something, that might work. It's worth a shot! But if there's only two weeks to the wedding, start now and go every day. The more sessions you have, the more it'll even out, even if the tanned bits do go darker too.
  • Options
    Although the wedding is a consideration it is more about the rest of the summer so I would rather be sensible and maybe have a couple a week.

I will definately speak to the salon before making any final decisions though...
  • Options
    A couple a week won't make any difference at all. You need to go more than that in order to build up a tan, and then once you've got your tan, a couple a week will just maintain it.

It would be a waste of time to go for just a couple a week.
  • Options
    i would just change your outfit for the wedding and wear something that covers it.
    I had to do this for an event recently after getting burnt arms when wearing a short sleeved top. The vest top i had been planniong to wear was then out of the question and i had to wear a long sleeved top. After that it kind of evened out gradually
  • Options
    Hiya. You can't use suncream when you go on a sunbed but if you're going to use a sunbed I'd use a tan accelerator cream (they have them at the front desk of every good sunbed shop/tanning salon) and apply it everywhere except your brown back.
    Also, spray tan's aren't £50! Try googling a salon in your area that uses fake bake, its a good un and at most its gonna be £30. Or try your local college, they always have a salon for beauty students can practice on you for half price (they're supervised!)
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all your advice.

Kezia, my local fake bake tanner is £25 for a full body but as I have never had one I would look to do a 'trial' before the wedding so would have to have two!

I think you are right Suzy, have been trying to find a shift style dress which doesn't show my back but haven't found anything I like as of yet, well except for this but it is out of stock :(

http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/OttoUK/92H055OLIP?$233x324$

I may still consider trying the sunbed but I think for the time being I am going to take every opportunity to be out in the sun with factor 50 on my brown bits and factor 15 on my white bits...
  • Options
    Why not just get some spray on tan stuff and spray it into the gaps?
  • Options
    My natural colouring is a very light honey brown which has meant that I have never been able to find a fake tan that looks anywhere near normal on me :(
  • Options
    I would say by looking at your back that your just as likely to get more burnt or a bit red from the sunbed unless you build it up very gently over a few months or so. Could you not just wear some kind of cardigan or wrap - the weather has been so crap the last few weekends it might even be cold enough for you to warrent it.
  • Options
    Well, it looks red (sunburnt) to me, instead of tanned. I would just wait until the burn is gone and then tanning (in the sun) with sun cream on. Since the light pieces will tan quicker than the rest it will "even out", if you understand.
    Not perfectly but it's gonna be okay.

Don't try any super special tanning stuff, because things like that are prone to fail if you are doing it for the first time, and you could look much worse then for the wedding.
  • Options
    A spray tan last's a few days and it would only cost around £30
    If you go on the sunbed, this could make the tan you have now worse even though its a vest top shape, it could make your skin peel.
    I recommed the spray tan as its safer aswell or you could just buy a really good false tan.
  • Options
    You could try getting some wash on-wash off fake tan and try and put a bit more on your white bits. Not sure how good this stuff is though.
  • Options
    As long as you know that tanning beds are up there with smoking in terms of things doctors tell you you should never do, there's no harm using it as a once off, emergency fix. Getting a professionally done fake tan seems like a better solution, not just because it's healthier but because you only need to do it once, the day before the wedding (or two days do you can reapply if they screw it up).

For those here that use tanning beds, or even tan on the beach, you're tards. You know it gives you cancer, and you know it ages you faster. An Indian friend of mine was amazed at how white people are always tanning, in India they use skin lightening creams. Pale white skin is beautiful, healthy and how nature made you. Learn to love it, or turn into a leather purse buy the time your in your mid to late thirties.
  • Options
    Pale white skin is beautiful, healthy and how nature made you.

In terms of UV resistance, pale white skin is not healthy. There is nothing wrong with tanning as long as you are doing is sensibly. One of these days I'm gonna move to a country that appreciates light skin.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    In terms of UV resistance, pale white skin is not healthy. There is nothing wrong with tanning as long as you are doing is sensibly. One of these days I'm gonna move to a country that appreciates light skin.

I've yet to hear any doctor advocate tanning as a form of UV resistance. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if you can link to something in a medical journal, but I really don't think I am. The only places in the world that appreciate white skin are those without white populations. Places like India and Japan still think white is beautiful from what I've heard from friends who traveled there/were born there. Apparently Japanese women go wild for white men. They don't want filthy gaijin living there though. :P
  • Options

For those here that use tanning beds, or even tan on the beach, you're tards. You know it gives you cancer, and you know it ages you faster.

Helpful.

People frequently make choices that are, in the long term, harmful. It doesn't make them retards. We just all assign different weights to different goals and values, and to the risks involved. It's hardly appropriate to call someone a retard because they are prepared to take risks and accept the chance of costs that you personally wouldn't choose.
  • Options
    Calling them retards was rude and I apologise for that. It's not just that tanning is so illogical and unhealthy (I mean shit I smoke), it's that I find it mildly offensive. A person should be comfortable in their own skin, unless there is something wrong with it, and there's nothing wrong with having white skin. Lack of pride among whites is kind of a chip on my shoulder, and girls believing that their skin would look better if it were just a shade darker is a (petty) symptom of that. The fact they actually knowingly risk their health to do this makes it worse. Unless you are blonde with brown eyes you shouldn't tan, it just doesn't look as good as wearing sunblock and being very pale. But the OP didn't ask for my views on 21st century white identity, she asked for tips on tanning, so I'll drop it and aplogise again for being rude.
  • Options
    One of these days I'm gonna move to a country that appreciates light skin.

Let me know where it is will you? I'm trying to rock the 'pale and interesting' look at the moment but unfortunately no one appreciates the Morticia Addams look anymore :D

To the OP: as others have said, wouldnt bother with a sunbed. It won't sort out the problem. Just try and find a self tan lotion to help even it out or go into your local salon, explain and show the beautician the problem. Any beautician should be able to help you out even if it's just infilling the white lines with a tan lotion.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    Let me know where it is will you? I'm trying to rock the 'pale and interesting' look at the moment but unfortunately no one appreciates the Morticia Addams look anymore :D

I've been said I should just wait, maybe the trend of being pale is beautiful returns. Like it was in medieval times. Well, I'm still waiting on the ancient greek view to return that a small penis is something enviable and a sign of nobility, whereare a large penis is seen as the influence of the devil or something like that.

OH!, haha, just kidding!! Did I say that? silly me...

@Spawn of Stan:
    I'm looking for it at the moment and I find only bits and pieces. Basically Melanin, the skin pigment is created through UV-rays. It is a protection for further UV doses. I'm looking for it in german so you want be able to understand it, I guess (sorry if I'm making a wrong assumption), but basically, the melanin molecule enters an excited state by absorbing the energy of the UV quantum and relaxes again in an internal conversion (excited state relaxes over vibrational states) and converses the energy of the UV quantum, which is capable to generate harmful radicals in your skin, into warmth.

Of course the best UV protection is living in your basement and never go into the sun, but as long as you are a human being and go outside, tanning, i.e. the enrichment of melatonin in your skin, is a natural way of building up UV protection.

And yea, everyone is allowed to make his own decisions in terms of what is beauty and how will I achieve it. It's your opinion that pale is beautiful but I think I'm not wrong to assume that in the public eye a tanned skin is a "healthy" and beautiful skin (so call them retards if you will). It's just like that. Heck you wouldn't believe how much cancer inducing pathogens you come in contact every single day, so if you ask me personally: I think tanning is the "more sensible" way of doing something potential dangerous in comparison to smoking, because that doesn't serve a single purpose and is nothing but stupid.
  • Options
    I'm embracing the pale look, mainly because I can't find a fake tan that suits me hehe.
  • Options
    Well, it looks red (sunburnt) to me, instead of tanned. I would just wait until the burn is gone and then tanning (in the sun) with sun cream on. Since the light pieces will tan quicker than the rest it will "even out", if you understand.
    Not perfectly but it's gonna be okay.

Don't try any super special tanning stuff, because things like that are prone to fail if you are doing it for the first time, and you could look much worse then for the wedding.

That picture is from a couple of weeks back and the burn has now gone, leaving lovely brown tanned skin in its place! The problem is the white bits in between :)

I have however made a decision and am going to buy a different dress for the wedding. I am off to Portugal in a months time and I am going to work on the tan lines sensibly using different levels of suncream!

Also, UV isn't completely bad, it has been shown to improve psoriosis and ezcema!!
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    Also, UV isn't completely bad, it has been shown to improve psoriosis and ezcema!!

yes, of course, in moderation that is.

A kick in the nuts has it's upsides too I guess, but it's mostly just harmful.
  • Options
    yes, of course, in moderation that is.

A kick in the nuts has it's upsides too I guess, but it's mostly just harmful.

Hehe and how can a kick in the nuts have an upside? :)
  • Options
    Judging by the dates I hope she's got it sorted!.. :D
    Plus sunbeds are not the way to go...
This discussion has been closed.