Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Persistant Heavy drinking damage reversible?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 18. I first got drunk when I was about 12, but on very rare occasions. Nor did it take very much. It was when I turned 15 that the frequency at which I was drinking increased, and the amount per session too - Though at that time, it was still only about 14-18 units for me to be "drunk" and I did it at most, once a month.

From then to age 17 it stayed mostly the same but there obviously were more occasions where alcohol came up. However my consumption has skyrocketed in the past year. I now drink 25-30 units a session, that's a bottle of 80 proof - and I sometimes find myself doing it upto 3-4 times a week. But most weeks once or twice.

I am concerned with the effect I have observed on my brain function. I used to be quite intelligent and functioned well socially too. I was motivated, had energy etc. Memory and attention have suffered. Now I don't feel half as clever as I was, and I'm pretty ditsy. It's like a long term brain fog. I also am pretty bad at communicating face to face and relationships in general - and before all this I was popular and confident.

The question isn't can I stop, suffice to say - I don't feel need to drink - yet. What I'm worried about is when I do stop, will I see a return of all my cognititive facilities that seem inhibited at the moment.

(Edit:- You're probably going to launch "never mind your intelligence what about your liver!" etc. Suffice to say, I have not drank nearly enough to cause permenant damage to my liver yet, that takes frequent, heavy drinking for atleast a decade in 90% of cases. I am reducing drinking in the context regard to sessions per week, though at the moment, when I do drink - still drink 25-30 units. I aim to be tee-total by age 20 and see that as realistic.)

Comments

• Options
    Hey BoredOften :wave:

Take a look at thesites drinking factsheets there may be something of use there.

I don't know your situation or if you're working with any agencies at the moment but in most areas there will be available advice and support specifically for alcohol abuse. If you have a Connexions worker they would be able to put you touch with one of these, they're often coupled with drug abuse services so don't be put off.

You seem to have a good understanding and working on reducing your consumption which is a sensible approach.

Good luck with your tee-total plan and let us know how you're getting on :thumb:
  • Options
    Just so you all know, the onset of my particulary heavy drinking was leaving sixth form, and didn't want to go to uni (because my career path makes it irrelevent and waste of time and money), and found it difficult find a job for 3 months due to the recession (I assume). With so much free time and lack of things of substance to do (most my friends had left for far off unis and the rest I was glad to see the back of) neccesitates something to make it a bit more interesting or atleast a bit less shite. I found that in alcohol. For the past 2 months I have been employed, but have kind of augmented alcohol into it, as a means of stress relief due to the nature of the job and as a force of habit.
  • Options
    Please, surely many people here have experienced this in their time - what can I do?
  • Options
    hey,

I haven't got much help for this thread I'm afraid as I don't have any experience with it.

But just wanted to say, frustrating as it may be, be patient and you will get a reply :) Four hours in the middle of the night isn't the most ideal time for people to be online.

Good luck
  • Options
    Some of the effects you describe are due to the ongoing metabolisation of the alcohol you've consumed, and they will clear up within around a week of you not drinking.

Some of the effects will be due to damage that your body can heal, or adapt around in time

And some will be permanent.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    And some will be permanent.

Do you think I've really done any permenant damage though?
  • Options
    I didn't know you before you drank, and I don't know you now - I can't tell how you've changed, and even if I did know these things, I've no experience of someone stopping being a heavy drinker. Sorry.