Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey,

Anyone think (in a very un-BBC-like fashion) that Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes were a real example of original and truely entertaining TV? Funnily, the main character isn't the intended, more Gene Hunt - who's a real legend. Sam Tyler is a good character too. Though, couldn't relate to Alex Drake.. Too "Southern Nancy" in the words of Gene I guess.

I actually wrote it off, at the time I figured it wasn't worth the time of day. I was bought the box set of Life on Mars, and by the 2nd episode I really was hooked. I think it probably deserved more than 2 series, mabye more than twice that, but it was still satisfying.

Ashes to Ashes so far has been great too, about on par - but it would have been nothing without Gene Hunt. Also theres only one more series left, which is a bit shit. After that, thats the end of the entire thing.

More it's the whole idea and concept of the show that gives it the value it has.

Sorry if I'm a bit late on this, obviously I chose to remain oblivious because I didn't belive this show was as good as it was said to be, and I was probably watching shameless at the time.

What does everybody else think about Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes? Personally, I genuinely love both series, and I think they are an unexpected gem in television.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    No, I think it was VERY much in the tradition of the BBC to produce an entertaining, thought provoking and innovative drama.

I've only watched the first series so far, but I'm pleased they didn't just drag it out indefinitely - which is an unfortunate habit of the BBC, which turns innovation into more of the same (which you seem to complain about)
  • Options
    I thought that Life On Mars was excelent, but I don't rate Ashes to Ashes any where near as high. Maybe that's because it was a new idea with LOM and was therefore ground breaking. Personally I'd rather that they had stopped there.

Best show opening
  • Options
    I love both. I can't wait for A2A to come back.
  • Options
    Ive seen a bit of series one of Life On Mars. I did enjoy it. I will watch the rest soon.
  • Options
    I love it mate,

Life on Mars and AtoA has to be well up there with the classics. It's original and groundbreaking. Incredibly well portrayed and I love it's mixing of humor and dark psychological undertones.

Gene Hunt is my personal hero too. Fucking legend he is, exactly the type of guy you'd want a pint with - or to be your DCI.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    No, I think it was VERY much in the tradition of the BBC to produce an entertaining, thought provoking and innovative drama.

I've only watched the first series so far, but I'm pleased they didn't just drag it out indefinitely - which is an unfortunate habit of the BBC, which turns innovation into more of the same (which you seem to complain about)

By the way, I find the BBC to pander far to much - It's too PC. I'm fed up of it too.

I dunno, I think LS has a point.

Yes it (BBC) has many moments of excelence, and yes it is professional. But it's very hit and miss. I think it's torn between pleasing every fucker, and doing what it should be doing.

I am a full on liberal in a practical sense (politically, not party wise), ie. not some conservative nonce who thinks Widows 95 is still relevent (practically, and obviously metaphorically). I have no prejudices other than those relating to political pedantary and pussyfooting around issues, and the BBC does that constantly. It trys to please everyone, even when it's only supposed to provide entertainment and deliver facts.

Yes its paid for by taxpayers, but it's paid by taxpayers to deliver the truth and report what's really going on - not reinforce status quo or arbitrary 4th hand source.

It's quite apparent to see BBC propaganda. I don't ask it to take any sides but be fair in it's broadcasting and the way I see it, and not to be making one clear statement in one broardcast, then a conflicting one in the other. It needs to drop that, and get to grips with simply portraying the objective nature of whatever it chooses. The viewers need to be allowed to percieve what they will, not lead like sheep. Life on Mars and AtoA was a true gem in the rough, though it was aired at 10pm - 11pm limiting its audience due to pointless sensibility.

That's not to say BBC content from the past wasn't first class and quite a few present. As I say, it's this "era" of PC and bullshit we live in, it destroys entertainment as it should be - raw - and open to everyones perception regardless.

Are all terrestrial channels governed by ratings now, or are they still something we all can find value in? None of them have their own character anymore, except Channel 4 perhaps which, when it hit's right - it nails it. When it hit's wrong, it's a complete failure and mismatch of swampy TV. I suppose you could say, there are too many extreme(ist)s of all variations on TV? :P

Eastenders, is that TV? Really now? If someone wanted to experience Eastenders properly, they really should make a cup of tea, talk about local's needing a good wank, have a shit (above, though not directly politically on someone) and attend their pre-booked ticket for Alice and Wonderland that evening (all in "Reel lyf"). It's that, or wait till 23:00 for family guy - an american show, in the shadow of any real - but now leashed british humor in the cause of not offending some random pedantic.

Humor is SUPPOSED to be fun, tounge in cheek, unserious - probably offensive. Are we going to stop laughing - because if we follow the model of a PERSCRIBED "social acceptibility" that is - taking a piss is unacceptable and making light of everything - the boundry?? Are we really going to sacrifice that quintessential element of our once strong and timeless factor of our social culture nationally? British humor IS banter and light hearted, witty banter. That's our unique social identity, but It's slipping through our fingers by a market, based not on real humor, but accessible humor. That's American Humor, pitful, dense - but hollow. Easy to understand, marketable, but, errr... stupid. Wit, though eccentricly found in the US - is sourced and mostly found in the UK.

It's not a nanny state we live in, it's a nancy state and anyone who proliferates the promotion of bubblewrap can kiss my moral and natrually environmental arse.