Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Staff Appraisals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I manage a lady at work and have just done her appraisal (my first with her and indeed my first as a manager).

I've written all good comments, that she has achieved all of her objectives and about the extra work she has taken on and stuff like that, which she is happy with. However, I had to grade her on performance indicators like integrity, professionalism, leadership etc and she is unhappy with the grades and doesn't think they reflect the write up I have given her.

We sat down one to one to discuss this and I explained that I am really pleased with her performance overall and the grades are OK but she doesn't think they are. I explained that I could only judge on what I had seen/heard in terms of the work she produces and what she tells me about the work she has done i.e. if she improves a spreadsheet that only she uses, I will only know if she tells me and explains the benefit it has brought.

The outcome was I said we could discuss it with my boss as I feel I have scored her fairly and she doesn't think she has been scored fairly, but I also gave her a handout showing what I have to assess against and said read through and if there are any areas where you think you have performed better then make notes to highlight specific examples and I will assess whether I think the scores need changing.

I know I shouldn't just go 'ok then what scores do you want......' then change them as I feel I have scored her fairly and that would defeat the purpose of an appraisal, but I also don't want her to be upset and demotivated and feel hard done by. Any advice peeps?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like you've done the right thing, but I'd see if you can't get someone from HR in with you, your boss and your lady
    It sounds like she's trying it on because she knows you are new to it. You can't possibly be expected to up her grades based on nothing. You seem to be doing the right thing to me.
    In your positive comments have you constructively written how she could improve on any areas she may be lacking in? Perhaps this is where the discrepancy comes in. If you've not put how she could improve, then she may expect her grades to be a*.
    In your positive comments have you constructively written how she could improve on any areas she may be lacking in? Perhaps this is where the discrepancy comes in. If you've not put how she could improve, then she may expect her grades to be a*.

The thing is the grades are good (all B with some B+ and an A- but also three B- which is what she has focussed on). I have explained why I have given a B- and that there is room for development, and that it is still a good score (it could have been an E!). She said that a B- might as well be a C.

Looking back at a past appraisal a previous boss did with me, I scored all A+ and A and the write-up was excellent, the fact that she constantly received good feedback about me, that I was constantly communicating effectively etc etc. In the report for my lady, yes the write-up is good, but it isn't excellent, so I think the grades reflect what I have written. I have explained that she does a good job and I don't have any major concerns but I (verbally) provided some examples to explain why she hadn't been marked higher for those with a B- and suggested what she could do i.e attend training courses, shadowing etc.

TBH it is majorly doing my head in now, I've spent far too much time thinking about this. I think I will take her into my office tomorrow and ask her if she has had a chance to look through the handout and will perhaps try to explain a little better what the grades mean in relation to the write-up, then if necessary involve my boss (and HR again if necessary).
    Sounds like you are doing everything you can.
    I just want to say I hate appraisals. You sound like you're being really professional and nice about it. My ex manager was a real bitch in the whole process and used appraisal catch up time as the time to ambush me with every thing I'd done wrong. Grrrrrrrr. That's my rant.
    I just want to say I hate appraisals. You sound like you're being really professional and nice about it. My ex manager was a real bitch in the whole process and used appraisal catch up time as the time to ambush me with every thing I'd done wrong. Grrrrrrrr. That's my rant.

TBH yes I think I am being good about it because actually it is a fair appraisal and she even said to me that she has never bothered to question them in the past when she has been unhappy. I kinda took this as a compliment that she must find me more approachable than her managers in the past, but on the otherhand it is also like she is questioning my ability to do the appraisal and thinks I will be a walkover. Just because someone is doing their job properly and afew extras doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement, so I don't understand why she would think that all B's and an A- does not reflect being told she is doing a good job. I have said there is room for improvement hence the B- saying that although performing to the standard in that particular area most of the time, there is more she could do. She didn't argue with most of that either, she admitted she could have undertaken training in weak areas but said she is too busy, I said that I appreciate she is busy but I am constantly telling her that I am more than happy for her to complete various courses and that I will cover her job, which I have done on many occasions when she is on leave etc, but she doesn't like that because I think it makes her feel inferior like I am able to do my own job and hers, but again I'm always telling her how important her contribution is to the department and that she is a valued member of staff. Argh!!!
    It depends what the grades are meant to achieve. If they're supposed to be encouraging, then they should be higher. If they're supposed to be an accurate reflection, then they probably should be lower. But remember, most people seem to equate 7/10 with average, when in reality 5/10 should be. And most people would equate the word "average" with "rubbish" too. A lot of places will having things like "unsatisfactory, satisfactory, good, excellent," so you've effectively got three out of four that say that people are doing their job properly and one saying they're not. It's like the old "regular, large, extra large" trick at McDonalds.

The whole grade system might be a pain in the arse too, because it doesn't take into account the different ways people are motivated. For one person good marks might be encouragement. For another person, they might be an excuse to get into the comfort zone. But then staff will inevitably swap this information, so if you're giving two equal staff different marks based on how you want to motivate them, it might cause discontent. Personally I think unless you've got a genuine objective way of measuring someone's grade, you should just stick to the words.

Or is this one of those stupid things that your managers are making you do because they want to be able to quantify everything?