Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

World cinema/Independent films

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is Bright Star an independent film? I loved that film.
    dancer in the dark (with the amazing bjork..worth a try if you like musicals and bjork. an ending you will probably remember forever)
    all about lily chou chou- japanese film. beautifully shot. amazing music by salyu.
    oldboy and sympathy for lady vengence- wowww. love the revenge trilogy but these 2 are the best i reckon.
    let the right one in- decent vampire film! cant believe they are doing an american remake.. gits.
    once were warriors- harrowing film from new zealand but worth watching

brain has gone dead.

but im so happy no one has mentioned amelie yet. just say NO.
    +Chimpy+ wrote: »
    In terms of French films, you've got a lot to choose from. France has one of the biggest film industries in the world, after the USA and India. There are lots to recommend but here are some films that I'd suggest to get you going:

The best thing about the French film industry (and the German one) is that they're willing to fund films from all over Europe.

Since everyone's mentioning Kurosawa, I'll just even things up and suggest you look at Ozu. Quite similar in style if not subject matter.

Other Asian directors I like are Tsai Ming Liang, Zhang Yimou, Tran Anh Hung (French funded ;)), Wong Kar Wai and Abbas Kiarostami. It's a bit of a pain in the arse, because you'll often find it hard to get some of their earlier stuff though. Korean cinema is supposed to be really exciting atm too, but I've only managed to watch Old Boy myself.

In Europe, I think Scandinavia has the best films atm, with Lars von Trier, Aki Kaurismaki, Lukas Moodysson, Lone Scherfig, Thomas Vinterberg, Tomas Alfredson, and I'm sure plenty of others I haven't heard of yet. And of course there's also Ingmar Bergman's back catalogue to work your way through. But Denmark in particular has really punched above its weight in the past 15 years or so.
    Also forgot to mention, under the World Cinema category, anything directed by Pedro Almodovar, especially the ones with Penelope Cruz. Pedro himself has described her as his muse.

Especially Volver!

My other pick would be the German film, Run Lola Run, if only because I wish my hair was the same colour as Franka Potente's.
    Perfume (German film, has been redone Brit styles)
    Cinema Paridiso <3
    Run Lola, Run
    Anymore for anymore? Still waiting for your contribution on French cinema Jim ;)
    Tomorrow hopefully :)