Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

essentials for a first time flat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I may have my first flat in 8 weeks time, but i have no clue about what i need to go in it. Or rather I know what I want but I don't know what is essential.

For example is a cooker essential etc. So any advice on what I need will be brill, so I can work out how much it is and save over the next 8 weeks.

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you got anything at all right now? There's a lot people could suggest but might help to know if you've got some stuff already :)

Oh and what's the flat like, could you get a washer and a dryer and a big fridge freezer in the kitchen or room for a half fridge and a bag to put everything in before heading down the laundrette?
    Sorry I didn't think of that lol

I have kitchen utensils etc but currently live with my mum so have no appliances.

The kitchen is big enough for a fridge freezer, washing machine, dryer etc and a dining table, it also has a space for a cooker.

I have got a TV unit for the living room but other than that I don't really have alot apart from bedroom furnitiure.

I have a general idea of the things I will need in the long run, but Im asking what do you think are the real essentials i need to have to move in with.

It is only a small one bed flat.

Thanks

AFA
    Microwave? Always useful although of course its not an essential
    While its best not to have pre prepared microwave meals all the time, the first short while after moving into a new flat can be awkward and busy etc, sometimes you dont have the time or effort to cook something in the oven, whilst trying to live a normal life, and go through a move, this is where the microwave becomes an invaluable tool. :)

Moving residence is supposed to be one of the most stressfull things you can do in your life, even if it goes swimmingly, as you always have your mind thinking about the next thing you need to do or buy for the home.
    You need:
    Fridge
    Cooker
    Microwave
    Freezer would be good but it's possible to live without one
    Kettle

Somewhere to sit
    Pots
    Pans
    Cleaning stuff

Don't bother with a dryer unless you've got nowhere at all to hang clothes to dry, much better to just purchase a clothes horse for a few quid and put it near a radiator.
    As well as the stuff others have said, make sure you have some form of entertainment tv, radio, pc cos otherwise it will seem very quiet. Towels and bedding also essential.
    It might be worth moving to a furnished flat as a first step
    thanks for the replys guys, at least i have an idea of what to get, a furnished flat is out of my budget for now and my graddad is gonna give me a sofa so im happy bout that, means i can get the other esential stuff :)
    Do you have access to any kind of van on a regular basis? One thing to bear in mind is that it's actually a pain to get ride of white goods - so things like fridges, washers, etc can often turn up for nothing on ebay, but pick-up only.

If you'd have a way of moving them then you could try that as a cheap way to get some goods - and worth signing up to free-cycle in your area and posting looking for white goods there (if it's an option)

You can search by location on ebay, at least you could, so you can try searching for a freezer nearby and see what comes up.

One thing I'd really recommend is a bit of a survival kit - head down somewhere like Wilkinsons and grab a cheap hammer, some nails, some fuses, some screwdrivers, cellotape, some superglue, few things like that. It's surprising when you first move into your own place how many things are just tucked into draws at home that you didn't realise you'd need.

Oh and bear in mind how the telly might be set up, if you're near one of the digital only areas remember you might need a set top box to get any reception if the telly isn't digital ready - though lots of help available if you're in those locations.

I'll think a bit more, but good luck - it's great fun to get your own place for the first time, after you make it in :)
    Jim V wrote: »
    Do you have access to any kind of van on a regular basis? One thing to bear in mind is that it's actually a pain to get ride of white goods - so things like fridges, washers, etc can often turn up for nothing on ebay, but pick-up only.

If you'd have a way of moving them then you could try that as a cheap way to get some goods - and worth signing up to free-cycle in your area and posting looking for white goods there (if it's an option)

You can search by location on ebay, at least you could, so you can try searching for a freezer nearby and see what comes up.

One thing I'd really recommend is a bit of a survival kit - head down somewhere like Wilkinsons and grab a cheap hammer, some nails, some fuses, some screwdrivers, cellotape, some superglue, few things like that. It's surprising when you first move into your own place how many things are just tucked into draws at home that you didn't realise you'd need.

Oh and bear in mind how the telly might be set up, if you're near one of the digital only areas remember you might need a set top box to get any reception if the telly isn't digital ready - though lots of help available if you're in those locations.

I'll think a bit more, but good luck - it's great fun to get your own place for the first time, after you make it in :)

Thanks for that, yes I have got access to a van, my other half just bought one so I can use that. I didn't think of the free-cycle thing. Im getting really excited now and its not for 8 weeks lol :)
    And nearly forgot, but worth checking, see if your council has a recycling centre - admittedly the last one I went to was central london but it was insane, just old tellies and white goods stacked to the ceiling...
    A fridge is essential and a washing machine really really handy if you can afford it. I've not had a dryer in my home for over a year now and it's far far back on my list of priorities. In fact, I have no plans to get one. Pretty much the same with a microwave but I know a lot of people disagree with me there ;)

Pots and pans are also necessary.
    A table and some chairs.
    Towels like Mist said (I stole a few from mom though).
    Mop or vacuum cleaner (depends on your budget/flooring which to get).

Apart from what you say you own these things are the ones I'd think are the most necessary as a start pack. When me and my bloke started renting it helped to have some money saved up as we bought stuff as we needed it. We're still buying stuff for our home most months but have moved to a stage where things aren't as essential but rather stuff we're collecting or renewing (in better quality, hehe).
    I have been looking on ebay for a washing machine, but if i can't get one I will take me washing home lol

I'm also looking for a fridge! I have just looked at my local freecycle thing and am amazed by what people are getting rid of lol :)
    Iron/ironing board?
    Jim V wrote: »

Yes, definitely!! My bloke has a cheap IKEA set with stuff like a hammer and a screwdriver and that has been a lifesaver, especially the screwdriver where you can swap the heads or whatever it's called to fit different screws. Tape measure as well, that's come in handy a lot of the time.
    Have you ever played The Sims? That will get you started with kitchen appliances. In terms of smaller utensils, you'll need - sieve, potato masher, potato peeler, spatula, ladel, an egg whisk, egg cups, apple corer, egg timer, cutting knives, cutting board, bottle opener, jars, rolling pin, measuring jug, funnels, lemon squeezer and a cheese grater. That's what I had at uni, which I still have at my home which I purchsed/mortgaged in 2006. Some things do break - I have replaced the cheese grater and measuring jug once, and I have lost one lemon squeezer.
    Thanks for the kitchen stuff, i have some but hadn't even thought of half of it lol
    I agree with Jaloux: a microwave is not essential. Apart from at uni I have never had one, and my parents still haven't got one, ever.

An electric heater for the all times when your heating stops working!

A land line phone
    We got a second hand microwave when we moved in, we couldn't afford a cooker.

We got a toaster after about a month.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    In terms of smaller utensils, you'll need -
    [...]cutting knives, cutting board, bottle opener, measuring jug and a cheese grater.
    yup, these.
    the rest... nah.

sieve - can do without
    potato masher - smash
    potato peeler - nah, scrape carrots, scrub most veg, or peel with a knife
    spatula - that's what fingers are for
    ladle - I still don't have a ladle
    an egg whisk - fork
    rolling pin - bottle -wine, or just a 2 litre coke bottle (full works better)

egg timer - mobile phone

egg cups - this is a joke?
    apple corer - you what?
    lemon squeezer - c'mon you're having a giraffe
    funnels - my mind boggles.
    jars - is this your grannies list?
    Lol Big Gay...

sieve - can do without - What's gonna happen with pasta? At least you're going to need a colander.

potato masher - smash - Smash then eat? I think not.

potato peeler - nah, scrape carrots, scrub most veg, or peel with a knife - Prone to cuts.

spatula - that's what fingers are for - Still need it for scraping out tins. Also for anything flat.

ladle - I still don't have a ladle - I take it you don't make soup. It's time to learn, my friend. And you are 39 ffs :-)

an egg whisk - fork - Say bye bye to Angel Delight then :-D

rolling pin - bottle -wine, or just a 2 litre coke bottle (full works better) - I'll give you that one.

egg timer - mobile phone - I'll give you that one too, as long as the OP knows how to download mobile apps.

egg cups - this is a joke? - Boiled eggs? Doh!

apple corer - you what? - Obviously you haven't cooked with apples in your 39 years.

lemon squeezer - c'mon you're having a giraffe - Again, void statement. Fruit juices? Cocktails? Pancake Day?

funnels - my mind boggles. - E.g. for pouring 2L coke into small 500ml bottles. Saves buying 500ml coke bottles on trains for £1.80 a pop.

jars - is this your grannies list? - Sugar, flour, coffee, tea. Oh I take it you use instant coffee then?

For your post Big Gay, given your age:

Effort = D

:-)
    Having just moved into my own first place, the amount of stuff you need seems never ending!

Luckily, I was given a sofa, washing machine and microwave by friends / family.

My mum bought me kitchen utensils over the months before i moved - no apple corer though :eek:

Don't forget you'll need things like curtains or blinds if not already in, kettle, toaster, mugs, plates, cutlery, tv (and tv licence), bedding etc
    Lol Big Gay...

sieve - can do without - What's gonna happen with pasta? At least you're going to need a colander.

No, you just use the saucepan lid.
    potato masher - smash - Smash then eat? I think not.

I just use a wooden spoon.
    egg timer - mobile phone - I'll give you that one too, as long as the OP knows how to download mobile apps.

Most phones come with a built-in stopwatch.
    Always fascinating to see that difference between essential in some people's eyes and just an added luxury in other peoples. The utensil discussion does highlight one thing Angel - have a good think about how you actually like to cook and what you and your partner are used to using. That's a pretty good sign of what you might want to replicate in the new place :)
    Lol Big Gay...

sieve - can do without - What's gonna happen with pasta? At least you're going to need a colander.I drain everything with the pan lid.

potato masher - smash - Smash then eat? I think not. No, instant mash. It's quicker, cheaper and keeps much longer. But then I'm not fan of mashed tatties. I have mashed them with a fork, on several occasions.

potato peeler - nah, scrape carrots, scrub most veg, or peel with a knife - Prone to cuts. I do have a peeler, but I prefer to scrape or scrub where possible.

spatula - that's what fingers are for - Still need it for scraping out tins. Also for anything flat.Never scraped a tin - I usually swill out with water or milk. Flat? as I said, that's what fingers are for.

ladle - I still don't have a ladle - I take it you don't make soup. It's time to learn, my friend. And you are 39 ffs :-) I make soup - not as often as I'd like, but I just pour from the pan.

an egg whisk - fork - Say bye bye to Angel Delight then :-DI have said goodbye to Angel delight, but I used to make it with a fork.

rolling pin - bottle -wine, or just a 2 litre coke bottle (full works better) - I'll give you that one.

egg timer - mobile phone - I'll give you that one too, as long as the OP knows how to download mobile apps. I don't know how to download apps, but I've always had a timer on my phones.

egg cups - this is a joke? - Boiled eggs? Doh! cut out the bit of the egg carton.

apple corer - you what? - Obviously you haven't cooked with apples in your 39 years.You don't need to do anything with the core ig you're just chopping apples, when slicing them I simply slice around the core, or when baking apples I just cut it out with a thin knife.

lemon squeezer - c'mon you're having a giraffe - Again, void statement. Fruit juices? Cocktails? Pancake Day? cut it in half, squeeze. Use a fork if you're trying to extract maximum juice.

funnels - my mind boggles. - E.g. for pouring 2L coke into small 500ml bottles. Saves buying 500ml coke bottles on trains for £1.80 a pop.I just fill bottles from the tap.

jars - is this your grannies list? - Sugar, flour, coffee, tea. Oh I take it you use instant coffee then?Tea comes in perfectly serviceable boxes, I keep my flour in the bags it comes in - and you didn't include anything for making fresh coffee in :p (but then that might account for why you need a sieve)
    For your post Big Gay, given your age:

Effort = D

:-)

For an ex-student, marks for "living on a budget" 2/10 :p
    Asda does a perfectly good 4 setting bowl and plate set for 5 pounds,
    OK I guess this comes down to what is "essential". The only one of those things that I reckon classes as close to essential would be the sieve or colander, because draining is a faff otherwise. I reckon it is fairly easy to live without a lemon squeezer.

Most of the things on the list are useful items, but you don't need them when you first move in.
    Tin opener and a bottle of wine for when you have moved in lol
    Bare Essentials:
    fridge
    kettle
    microwave
    good vegetable knife
    pyrex measuring jug
    mug
    plate
    bowl
    knife
    fork
    teaspoon
    pillow
    duvet
    pillowcase
    duvet cover
    sheet
    washing up brush
    kitchen bin
    bin bags
    clockradio
    nylon chopping board.
    tin opener
    towel
    facecloth
    toothbrush

things I'd get as a priority:
    toaster
    bed
    sofa
    another radio
    paper bins
    slow cooker (crock pot?)
    good kitchen knife
    cheese grater
    more plates and bowls and mugs
    teaspoons
    slotted spoon
    kitchen clock
    washing up bowl
    loo brush
    clothes airer
    Kitchen scissors

stuff that makes it a (basic) home
    cooker
    frying pan
    saucepan
    roasting tin
    baking tray
    casserole dish
    bath sponge
    freezer
    mixing bowl
    fish slice
    bookshelves
    dirty laundry hamper
    veg peeler
    tea/coffee/sugar jars
    glasses
    colander

some basic luxuries:
    (hand) blender
    mechanical whisk
    rolling pin
    pastry brush
    a good cutlery set
    a good kitchen knife set
    a pan set
    music system
    clean laundry basket
    egg cups
    kitchen timer
    butter dish
    spreading knife
    wine glasses
    vacuum cleaner

stuff for once you're settled
    washing machine
    tumble dryer
    coffee maker
    computer
    Kilmer jars
    funnels
    sieve
    I'd move washing machine and hoover way up that list. And computer, because that's useful for buying all the other stuff.