Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cold hands and feet all the time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well the title explains it well, I have cold hands and feet all the time and it's really bugging me. I think it's gradually got worse over the last couple of years, and it's got to the point where I hate it. Not only does it make it embarrassing for stuff like hand shakes, hugs (you can feel the cold through t-shirts) but it affects me with stuff like writing and playing my violin/saxophone as my fingers are less responsive due to the cold (if that makes sense!).
I don't smoke, and eat healthily so I don't know what's causing it. My house mate has Reynolds disease, but I don't think it's that as my hands rarely sting when warming up. The only time they are briefly warm is after baths and washing up! My feet also suffer but bothers me a lot less!
I am tempted to go to the doctors, but I hate them so thought I'd ask here first :)

Comments

• Options
    Go to the doctors. It can be indicative of a low body temperature, making you more likely to suffer from hypothermia when out in the cold. Could be down to nothing serious at all - a hormone imbalance, which is generally very easily treated. But it can also be a symptom of less-desireable problems - like diabetes. Either way, it's worth getting checked out now rather than finding out in 10 years time that something was amiss... :)
  • Options
    bad circulation, i have same,exercises, stretches, keep hands warm, avoid limiting circulation by leaning on hands etc

can lead to arthiritis
  • Options
    I have exactly the same...and I know what you mean about making things like writing etc difficult!

I think mine is down to poor circulation :(
  • Options
    I have cold hands and feet too
    I would go and see your doctor if its been hapenning for a while
    It could be due to not eating enough or diabetes, not sure what else though
    Hope it gets better!
    xx
  • Options
    I have them, they run in my family
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the ideas...It doesn't run in my family though, so can't put it down to that :(
    From your advice, have made an doc's appointment for tuesday. figured it's better to be safe than sorry. Will see what they say.
  • Options
    Good! Hope it gets sorted (:
    xx
  • Options
    Having cold hands/feet is also proportional to bad short term memory, but you do get rewarded by having a good long term memory to compensate. I've had this for most of my life.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Having cold hands/feet is also proportional to bad short term memory, but you do get rewarded by having a good long term memory to compensate. I've had this for most of my life.

This cant be true :confused:
  • Options
    Interesting - a bit of booze makes my hands warm up, and improves my short term memory - I usually can't remember antything... but I remember EVERYTHING that happens on a works night out
  • Options
    Update

Hey, just an update if you were interested, went to the doc, she said it is actually Raynaud's syndrome I have. So at least it has a name, but there's not much that can be done about it.
    Glad it's nothing serious though!
  • Options
    Glad you got it sorted.

My housemate has something similar but doesn't know what causes it, maybe I should point him to this thread. He like many others has just assumed it's becuase of bad circulation.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    This cant be true :confused:

It was from a conversation I had in 2001. Ginkgo biloba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba
  • Options
    Ah think I have heard of that before. May try it, but have been given some pills to help when I feel necessary so see if they work first! Thanks though :)
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

I can't see how they're related, but I can confirm that I have cold hands & feet, bad short term memory and good long term memory. Wierd. :eek:
  • Options
    but does alcohol improve your memory?
  • Options
    Vitamin rich food increases circulation i read somewhere, and over all good diet, Raw food does wonders for health,heating foodabout 118 damages nutrient despite many common myths, i have no source to back this up because im lazy..

my circulation has improves since i quite smoking and drinking alcohol, and eating a mainly raw vegan diet.
  • Options
    It is caused by bad circulation. I have it especially in the winter like now! And then my toes get red and sore and itchy!! it's awful!! do you have any heart problems? mines caused by that. :heart: