Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bioshock2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does any one have this game? i saw the ad for it the other day and i really want this game even though i will probably scream and drop the remote at the scary bits. :D I was going to get it for Xbox, is it worth it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I expect it's alright, the original Bioshock was fairly good.
  • Options
    I have the first Bioshock...it's pretty cool. The setting and plot of the game were good, the graphics are amazing and yes it is a very dark game and makes you jump out of your seat.
    I did find it a bit repetitive though, I got bored fairly quickly and never bothered finishing the game. I suggest renting it instead, incase you get bored of it too, and it's pretty expensive.
  • Options
    I bought it tues. Not had a proper play with it though but it looks really good. Makes me wish I had a HDTV.
  • Options
    Been playing about with it, it's pretty much the same as bioshock. Still, good story so far.
  • Options
    Here's my quick thoughts (just been blogging about it).
    However
    bear in mind these are my thoughts on it as sequel, not let me put you off the original. If you haven't played Bioshock 1 go and buy it now, it's got the same feel but is a tremendously compelling experience, and should be dead cheap -

Well, at least for me, the first big disappointment of the gaming year has hit and hit hard. After the wonderful and almost transcendent experience of Mass Effect 2 - a game that opened up so many possibilities for gaming, Bioshock 2 has so little innovation it's actually feels embarrassing to play at times. Not only is the sequel unnecessary it's almost insulting in execution.

For the most part the game treads a fine line between copying the combat of the first game and continually coming up with sequences that remind you of moments that the original did better. With a very poor choice in philosophy for the grand story (are we really expected to believe that treating psychoanalysis as the loss of self is as interested as Objectivism?) the game has none of the emotional impact or thought provoking moments of the first game. I would have loved to have seen the game add in a post-modernist take and use this to play with expectations from the first game, but sadly that's clearly not happening here.

The vulnerability of your character is strange, the logic of the world following the events of the first game is strained and the experience feels tremendously repetitive. The original BioShock had some terrible sequences (such as the tedious trawl through a ramshackle hotel) but don't worry the developers haven't missed the chance to copy it almost room for room.

Although it looks nice I’m at a loss to understand where so much praise is coming from, this is from the moment it begins, an inferior version of the original. Despite what people are saying elsewhere, it really is a knock-off sequel simply aping and not really understanding the impact of the original.

It's worth playing through but so much of the time you will simply be anticipating every moment of the game. There's nothing here that implies developers interested in creating a sequel, taking the opportunity to build on the original.

I would have loved to have seen something special as a sequel to the flawed genius of Bioshock. Instead, to me, it's a game worth playing because you enjoyed the original and can't resist seeing this world again. But as a piece of entertainment in its own right, it doesn't come close.

So I'd like to think it's the result of a missed opportunity rather than a cynical exploitation of a new ip that's been intellectually castrated by people with dollar signs for eyes. Hopefully the producers will realise the team behind the game just don't have the same ability or intelligence to pull off something as good as what came before and will get some of the original staff back to work on the inevitable Bioshock 3.

If not then expect this series to drown pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, and thanks Jim V i was hoping you would reply :)
    It does look a good game but I haven't played the first one so i might get that one as i'd rather spend £15 and not like a game rather than £35 and going by reviews and what you've said the first one sounds better. :)
  • Options
    who buys games these days anyway :chin:

original was good, used to scare the fuck out of me playin it at night after a few joints. will have to have a nosey at the 2nd one!
  • Options
    Finished it now and it continued to disappoint.

I'd stick to my original view - get the original. Treat it as a great, odd movie and you'll have a blast.

Bioshock 2 may improve the gameplay a little (dual weapon/powers) but it also introduces some elements that quickly become tedious (gathering...)

There's a single interesting sequence in the game that shows something that doesn't happen in the original (a twisted/different perspective but I don't want to spoil anything) - but that's really the only significant improvement. In the end it's almost disappointing because it shows someone on the team had some ideas that could have made a great sequel. Sadly it's only for a moment.

By the final level the game seemed to have totally lost the plot - spitting out radio messages about people I'd killed minutes before and lacking any real impact.

But the fundamental problem remains the same - the philosophy of the world of Andrew Ryan (Ayn Rand) was so strange, so unexpected, that it significantly altered what a game could be. This game absolutely fails to do that.

Given the best sequence is about a different perspective I still feel there could have been something really interesting done around the writings of Derrida or Foucalt. Sadly that's all been thrown away in favour of a basic, insulting and misguiding mishmash of Marx and Freud.

In fact, I'm hard pressed to even describe it that way. It's more like what McCarthy would think Communism was if you added in a confused hillbilly paranoia of psychology.

A waste, from start to finish.

The only thing good that could come out of it would be if someone took the original and added the gameplay improves from the sequel, and maybe the events of this game as a 1-2 hour extra level half way through.

But I'll say it again - Bioshock 1 is a masterpiece of story telling, get that and love it and try to forget this ever happened.
  • Options
    :thumb: Thank you Jim, i think i'll go with the first one :)

Have you heard the soundtrack for bioshock 2? its not really my type of music but some of the songs are quite cool.
  • Options
    I'd hit up spotify and check out some 'greatest 40's/50's2 stuff, see what you like from that :)
  • Options
    I think I might have to go and buy Bioshock1 now ;o. I was always a bit intrigued by it.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I'd hit up spotify and check out some 'greatest 40's/50's2 stuff, see what you like from that :)

will do :) I was surprised how well the soundtrack seems to go with it, from what i have seen anyway.
  • Options
    Bioshock the original was amazing.
    Ive had it for a few years (since it came out actually) and only completed it the other day.:blush:

I got the bad ending though because I harvested instead of saving,but on the plus side since I havent played it properly for so long I wont remember half of it when I replay it!:razz: