Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing face of High St Banks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The end has come for Abbey Bank, formerly Abbey National building society- Santanders doesn't fit out High street image quite

A number of years back we said goodbye to Midland Bank now HSBC. First they changed the logo saying the name wouldn't change- then it did!

And what happened to Leeds permanent?

British banking for customers on the high street is not the same

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A bank is still a bank, it would be lovely and nostalgic if they did keep the same names, but it's not the end of the world!
    ........yeah, banks don't end especially with all this government money keeping them afloat
    Our Abbey has just become a Sandander, and we still have an Alliance & Leicester which is due to become Sandander this summer. I dunno if we'll end up with two Santanders? I'm in Stafford - Abbey is by WHSmith and A & L is in the market square.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Our Abbey has just become a Sandander, and we still have an Alliance & Leicester which is due to become Sandander this summer. I dunno if we'll end up with two Santanders? I'm in Stafford - Abbey is by WHSmith and A & L is in the market square.

sounds like staff at one branch in line for relocation or redundacy
    I don't mind Santander because they have a funky advert with LEGO.

I think Leeds became part of Halifax. All I know is that I got a lot of cash for my shares.
    Mist wrote: »
    I think Leeds became part of Halifax. All I know is that I got a lot of cash for my shares.
    Lucky you........smiling as banks change
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    sounds like staff at one branch in line for relocation or redundacy
    Nah, there's two Barclays within five minutes walk of each other on Canterbury High Street.

Not that I care. They're all thieving, lying, incompetent idiots :grump:. I am having an 'I hate banks' day, because NatWest are stupid and shitty and I have a long-running hatred for the policy Barclays have for going over your overdraft limit. Charging me £100 a month every month is NOT GOING TO MAKE ME PAY IT BACK ANY SOONER YOU SHITS.
    Franki wrote: »
    Nah, there's two Barclays within five minutes walk of each other on Canterbury High Street.
    Must be a busy street where Barclays decided to fight hard for their place in the competitive banking industry
    Eh, it's your average city centre really. Pretty small, actually, compared to most. We get a lot of tourists but whenever I've gone into Barclays it's not busy really at all. Same with NatWest, and there's only one of them on the high street.

They're still all shits though.