Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weekend in Paris

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm planning a holiday in Paris. Any advice on Eurostar or flight. And places to visit
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I went last September, and loved it. We went on the Eurostar, which worked out pretty cheap, and I much preferred it to flying, even if it does take longer. Just beware going in adverse weather, as apparently this makes them stop. Bad times.

I sent this to my buddy who went to Paris just after us, so might be useful!:

1. Metro = brilliant. Pretty easy to navigate and one along every 5 mins. If you make less than 5 trips a day, it's cheaper to buy the 10 tickets than a day ticket. Mr Kaff figured that out because he's anal about such things. If he'd had access to a spreadsheet, he'd have made a metro ticket one with columns for average trips per day and euros spent. If you see a carriage with someone singing or playing anything, avoid. They want your squids.

2. Eiffel Tower = busy. If you can, go on a weekday. If you can't, go as early as poss. It's MUCH quicker to walk up the steps to the 2nd floor if you are in any kind of physical shape to do it (you don't need to be particularly fit, but it is pretty harsh on the old legs) - you can get a lift up from the bottom, but the queues are insano. You can then get the lift up to the top from the second floor and is the same price whether you got there by lift or stairs.

3. Gold rings = scam. If a crazy woman runs after you with a gold ring, ignore her. It's a scam to get your cash. Also, if any straggly looking women ask if you speak English, say non.

4. The route Louvre - Eiffel tower - Arc de Triomphe - Champs Elysees - Louvre is a LOT further than it looks on the map. Walk it at your peril, especially immediately after climbing all 700-whatever steps of the Eiffel tower.

5. The fromage et jambon crepes from the food vans are every type of delicious.

6. Montmatre is awesome. But BUSY. We were told that everyone gathers in front of the Sacre Coeur and watches the sun go down, but we tried and thought it was a bit shit. 'Everyone' was an understatement, and the sun sets behind the Sacre Coeur, so the view is not even worth fighting everyone in Paris for. Better in the daytime, we thought!

7. Beware the toilet goblins in the free toilets at Notre Dame. They do keep it very clean, but I saw them chase a woman shouting 'you, you...flush, flush!!'. Never been so intimidated while peeing in my life. Getting stage fright while under such scrutiny = not good.

8. If you are anywhere near Les Gobelins, the Epsilon restaurant on the Avenue les Gobelins is REALLY nice, and they had an awesome set menu for 13 euros for 3 courses.

9. The tower at Montparnasse has a good view from the top, but it's like 10.50 to go up, and nothing you can't see from up the Eiffel. Other than the fastest lift in Europe, obv, but I felt that was somewhat limited in its excitement.

10. Have fun! And take blister plasters :yes:
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    I went last September, and loved it. We went on the Eurostar, which worked out pretty cheap, and I much preferred it to flying, even if it does take longer. Just beware going in adverse weather, as apparently this makes them stop. Bad times
    Heard all about the Eurostar during the recent snow :( then flights are prone to strike

Eiffel Tower = busy. If you can, go on a weekday. If you can't, go as early as poss. It's MUCH quicker to walk up the steps to the 2nd floor if you are in any kind of physical shape to do it (you don't need to be particularly fit, but it is pretty harsh on the old legs) - you can get a lift up from the bottom, but the queues are insano. You can then get the lift up to the top from the second floor and is the same price whether you got there by lift or stairs.
    Can't miss going up the Eiffel
    Gold rings = scam. If a crazy woman runs after you with a gold ring, ignore her. It's a scam to get your cash. Also, if any straggly looking women ask if you speak English, say non.
    Sounds scary !!!
    Beware the toilet goblins in the free toilets at Notre Dame. They do keep it very clean, but I saw them chase a woman shouting 'you, you...flush, flush!!'. Never been so intimidated while peeing in my life. MoGetting stage fright while under such scrutiny = not good.
    one of life's minor inconvenience sounds an adventure

Have fun! And take blister plasters :yes:
    thanks