Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting a career with a 2.2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys

Gonna graduate this summer, probably with a 2:2 degree in Accounting, Business Finance & Management BSc. A level - A maths, B IT, C economics.

Done other stuff:
- been in a society committee for three years as secretary
- been an intern at UoY Enterprise dept. for 2 years
- run my own company on the side for a short while, didn't go well though
- took part in inter-university business challenge, semi finalist out of whole country

But I just feel at a dead end now. If I'm honest with myself, I'm not 100% sure what I want to do. I'm really happy to travel. I would rather 'jump in' than start at the bottom, as I want my degree to count for *something*.

It's frustrating, because people who *know* me all say how work focused I am, but my grades just don't reflect that (mainly my fault if we're being fair - though I think bad luck came into it. I did 'enough' but a bad exam here and there meant it wasn't enough in the end!). Maybe to an extent how much extra stuff I do does a little.

This last year, finance stuff (as in, literally the financial leveraging / lending / borrowing etc.) has really interested me. I would have liked a career in that sector, but it pays so well that everyone wants a career in that sector and so minimum 2.1 entry grades really - along with the fact that most graduate jobs are filled now anyway.

I'm looking into chartered accountancy now, not as interesting, but hopefully once I'm in a professional career it's easy to make the transition from there to financial management or whatever comes up really!

If anyone can give me any advice or whatever, that'd be great. I'd love to go to China for a year or two and do something relevent over there, but I really don't know where I would start looking. So if anyone has any suggestions let me know :-).

Right now I just feel a bit lost, like I have a lot to offer but there aren't any opportunities, because there are just too many grads / final year students in similar places with better grades than me.

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, Don't Panic!

Second, have you been to your uni careers advice?

Chartered accountancy sounds good, have you looked it up on careers websites? Started applying for positions that will get you on the road to where you wanna go?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Firstly, Don't Panic!

Second, have you been to your uni careers advice?

Chartered accountancy sounds good, have you looked it up on careers websites? Started applying for positions that will get you on the road to where you wanna go?

My friend suggested this to me as well, it might be nice:

http://www.teic.co.uk/

He gets his flights / accomodation paid for him, and £400 / month salary. He says with that he lives extremely extremely comfortably because the cost of living in China is so cheap.

The only thing I'm worried about is teaching english isn't exactly 'relevent experience' but maybe I could moonlight as a financial advisor for a small bank or something. I imagine they lap British University, English-speaking Graduates up for breakfast. (Especially one with an honours degree ;)).

Anymore advice would be useful though, I don't want to 'waste time' as it were like doing a masters I don't think would further my career prospects.
  • Options
    Some of my friends are doing something similar in Korea. One of them is a trained teacher, but she found it hard to get a job over here. So for her, it is really relevant.

My other friends aren't really sure what they want to do, so decided to go and teach abroad. While it's not directly relevant to them (they def don't want to teach as a career) it has been really useful for them in a number of ways - developing various transferable skills, seeing some of the world etc.

So, in that sense I think it would be useful for you - you'd be working and seeing a different country and developing some skills. But on the other hand, you do at least have a vague idea of what you want to do, and that's not teaching! So I think if I were you, instead of going abroad to teach, I'd spend time getting some more experience in the industry you are interested in. That might mean working in a pub in the evenings or whatnot to allow you day time to do placements or whatever, but I think that would be more useful to you long term. Although, you might find you get a full time, paid job after uni anyway!

On the other hand, you could go to China and teach and while you're over there, try and get some experience in other industries. I imagine it'll be much easier to find out suitable places once you're over there.

I dunno, it's a tough one!
  • Options
    They are promoting something like that at my uni, working in china. I would check what your long-term goal is first. Is it definitely to be a chartered accountant? Which I think is a good idea. If so, what is your timescale, how long would you like it to take you to get there, and how long do you think it will realistically take to reach your goal?

Does going to china affect this timescale or the long-term goal? I don't really get how the china thing would fit into your plan, it looks like a distraction to me.

You know what they say about a fool with a plan.... Make a career plan, aim to stick to it for as long is practicable, and maybe schedule in a reassessment of the situation every nine months.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Business Finance A level - A maths, C economics.

You could go to my local Sainburys pahrmacy for me and point out to the thick cunts that there is clearly a difference between £2.44p and £3.99p for the same product.