Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Knitting?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I quite fancy learning to knit, but dont really know where to start. Who can help me out?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Littlemissy and Olive :yes:
    :wave:

I taught myself from a book, but actually I think the best way to learn now is from videos. Knitting help is bloody genius, and can show you everything you need to know!

I'd start off with aran weight yarn, and about 5-6mm needles. Teach yourself garter stitch, then learn stocking stitch (generally stockinette in the US!). Once you've created a few (probably dodgy) swatches, the easiest thing to try is a scarf. Boring, but you'll get a lot of practice!

If you want to be social about it, a lot of local wool shops have knitting lessons/clubs/stitch and bitches aimed at younger people, so you could try nipping to one of those. Depends on the area - I'm always the youngest person in my local shop by about 40 years ;)

Oh, and there are many knitgeeks on here who will answer your questions along the way!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kaff wrote: »
    :wave:

I taught myself from a book, but actually I think the best way to learn now is from videos. Knitting help is bloody genius, and can show you everything you need to know!

I'd start off with aran weight yarn, and about 5-6mm needles. Teach yourself garter stitch, then learn stocking stitch (generally stockinette in the US!). Once you've created a few (probably dodgy) swatches, the easiest thing to try is a scarf. Boring, but you'll get a lot of practice!

If you want to be social about it, a lot of local wool shops have knitting lessons/clubs/stitch and bitches aimed at younger people, so you could try nipping to one of those. Depends on the area - I'm always the youngest person in my local shop by about 40 years ;)

Oh, and there are many knitgeeks on here who will answer your questions along the way!

All of this. I learnt using knitting help. It is a wonderful website. Also, join ravelry. It is full of people of all experiences who will help you if you need help. And I am more than happy to help if you need owt :)
    I knitted myself a phone sock. Despite a few mistakes, am so proud of it, and no one else will have the same- you should try this if you are still learning because its really easy :)
    If you want to get a book get stitch n bitch, that and knitting help were how i learnt.
    I thought stitch n bitch was a bit vague and ended up asking little missy a thousand and one questions regarding things in there!
    my name wrote: »
    I thought stitch n bitch was a bit vague and ended up asking little missy a thousand and one questions regarding things in there!

And look at you now! I'm so proud :D
    my name wrote: »
    Yeh, I found that a bit too. But I bought another knitting book and the two combined just about sorted me out.

If you get bored of scarves (I do :o ), try knitting a blanket in blocks (like the one I'm making Kaff right now). It's simple enough to do a basic block to begin with so you don't mess up, but you can go pretty fast onto other more complex blocks because your first block will be finished pretty fast.
    My mum knits and she tells me there aren't many shops that sells wool now. If you do succeed learning and have the time its great. At London department stores hand knitted jumpers, scarves etc cost a fortune!
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    My mum knits and she tells me there aren't many shops that sells wool now.

This is why the yarn gods brought us the internet :yes:
    Speaking of which, what is a good site to buy from?

I have a good yarn shop in Canterbury (I :heart: it) but I have no idea how I would go about finding one in London :(.
    I buy mine from www.mcadirect.com, and celticove.com :)
    John Lewis (not online unfortunately) has good yarn too :yes:
    Im sorry, but this is a literal "knitting" in google type of question - perhaps wikihow.
    eh?
    eh?

The OP's question is extremely likely to by answered by simply entering the terms "learn knitting" in google.
    Yup, google for your wool! :)
    The OP's question is extremely likely to by answered by simply entering the terms "learn knitting" in google.
    Oh come on! This is a perfectly valid thread and there are a fair few knitters and crocheters on these boards and we have had some good discussions on here in the past. Thesite isn't all about discussing your penis size and latest STI.

I presume you don't have anything valid to add to the thread about knitting or yarn?
    Maybe the OP wanted personal reccomendations?
    Oh come on! This is a perfectly valid thread and there are a fair few knitters and crocheters on these boards and we have had some good discussions on here in the past. Thesite isn't all about discussing your penis size and latest STI.

I presume you don't have anything valid to add to the thread about knitting or yarn?
    *waits for thread to descend into being about how knitting is for old ladies again*

99% of ALL questions can be answered by google, if your google-fu is strong.

The whole point of this place is that people can ASK questions and get advice and suppport. Even if it's about knitting :thumb:
    yep, usually does.
    *ignoring the silly guy looking for a rise ... *

Franki, in London you have both IKnit and Stash. Don't know where either are because I haven't been to either but both sound amazing. Online, I like socktopus, getknitted, pavi yarns, mcadirect, kangaroo, texere, kemps. Oh, I could go on! :heart:
    I buy mine from www.mcadirect.com, and celticove.com :)

Same :yes: Celticove (confusingly called Stash, but not the same as the London Stash) has a fantastic clearance section! first4yarns.co.uk is good too, especially for higher end stuff, although their stock levels are sometimes a bit unpredictable. Plus there's always ebay. I wouldn't buy most stuff from there, cause it's no cheaper and McA and first4yarns both do free postage over £10 (yay!), but there are bargains to be had if you know how much stuff *should* be.

I've bought from other places in the past, most notably getknitted, but their prices seem to be skyrocketing on some of the stuff. Same generally with the physical shops in London. Great yarns, eyewatering prices!
    *ignoring the silly guy looking for a rise ... *

Franki, in London you have both IKnit and Stash. Don't know where either are because I haven't been to either but both sound amazing. Online, I like socktopus, getknitted, pavi yarns, mcadirect, kangaroo, texere, kemps. Oh, I could go on! :heart:
    Oooh. When I move, I shall definitely get my google on. Thanks :D.
    I have just had an order from texere delivered. Yay! The blankie is back on :D
    Hurrah!
    Also there is Loop in London, not sure where it is but they have a website and a shop, although I haven't bought from there.

Yay for your blanket Littlemissy! Is this your summer garden one?
    Hurrah!
    Also there is Loop in London, not sure where it is but they have a website and a shop, although I haven't bought from there.

Yay for your blanket Littlemissy! Is this your summer garden one?

Yus. I have 10 squares so far. Yay! But I ran out of yarn so I had to order some more. In the meantime I have been making another cushion cover and am just about finished the woolly bit. I then need to weave in ends :grump:

SGB is going to be hibernating during the winter olympics, mind. I am going to take part in Ravelympics (yes, I'm a geek!) and I want to finish my stained glass afghan. :yippe:
    lol, ravelympics. How's your stained glass one going?

On a slightly related note, I am SO EXCITED about the Winter Olympics! :hyper:
    lol, ravelympics. How's your stained glass one going?

On a slightly related note, I am SO EXCITED about the Winter Olympics! :hyper:

I haven't done any of it in months but am half way through the last 4 squares. Then I need to go round them all with the additional stuff and then I need to join them together. Hopefully it'll be a funky blankie when I get it finished, finally. I shall take photos later and put them up.

Cushion cover is finished. Well the crochet bit.

I love the winter olympics. Have you seen the BBC advert for it? It's rather clever.
    Yep it's really cool.