Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alcohol - it's no joke

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It wouldn't stop "underage" drinking as such but it would make it more difficult for under 18's to get hold of alcohol. if you are a 17 year old, you are more likely to be ID'd if the age limit is 21 than 18.

Actually, I doubt it. Some kids (particularly girls) don't need to try too hard to appear adult and some will anyway mature naturally quicker than others. So it becomes more and more difficult to tell a 17 year old from a 25 year old. Hence, in many American states, if you appear less than 30, you need to show ID to buy a drink. Hell, my husband and I were asked for ID in Colorado and Texas. We were both over 40! Policing underage drinking would become a nightmare.
    I loled, it's clearly some form of joke.
    This tune kicks in around 0.35.

Captain Beefheart - Electricity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8eRDkiwGMM
    Lots of alcohol helps with this guy ......

I love this stuff.

Captain Beefheart Clear Spot & Crazy Little Thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_gSoOxTGNI
    Alcohol is an arbitrary evil of today's culture, but only a crux in a relative few men's (and womens) side.
    Alcohol is an arbitrary evil of today's culture, but only a crux in a relative few men's (and womens) side.

It's ok ...I started rowing down stream some years back.

I'll drink to that :D :thumb:
    The problem drinkers in the city centres come the weekend are usually drinking good quality booze ...not cut price supermarket cider.
    What the hell is ...minimum unit pricing?

Ban advertising by all means but I don't think that will change much either.

They are drinking quality booze in the pubs, but they fill up on the cheap stuff before heading out.

Put basically it means if a bottle of vodka has 20 units of alcohol it costs at least 20 times the price set for a unit. This is unlikely to add anything to the cost of the good stuff, only the crap at the bottom.
    I think nothing will change, except people will need to pay more for their booze, where theres a will theres a way.. more for revenue as mentioned...
    How many wars do we declare on these things?
    A war on want ...a war on drugs ...a war on homelesnes a war on blah blah.
    Notice it's always a war?
    If you examine these wars ....we lose them all.
    We cause casualties.
    We lose them cos we are declaring war on our selves.

We are fighting wars against human behaviour instead of sowing compassion in all those fields.

It can't ever work.
    I'll drink to that :D :thumb:

You realise, I wasn't saying anything bad about those who enjoy a more than "Occasional" drink, as I myself do. I was saying - it's presence in todays society is essentially historically arbitrary - and that despite media, and atleast half of the medical claims - the risk is relatively small (relative to the apparent medical panic, which is actually more to do with tax than public health), and the social effect within the context of educated, sensible people, the effect less than minimal. Furthermore, it has got to the point that it could never be stopped and barely lessened, even if made illegal.

Those who do get to "that point", should have known nowadays.
    You realise, I wasn't saying anything bad about those who enjoy a more than "Occasional" drink, as I myself do. I was saying - it's presence in todays society is essentially historically arbitrary - and that despite media, and atleast half of the medical claims - the risk is relatively small (relative to the apparent medical panic, which is actually more to do with tax than public health), and the social effect within the context of educated, sensible people, the effect less than minimal. Furthermore, it has got to the point that it could never be stopped and barely lessened, even if made illegal.

Those who do get to "that point", should have known nowadays.

I know what ya meant laarrr.:thumb:
    damn right alcohol is no joke, unless your laughing at it
    hi guys new here :),
    as far as underage drinking goes if anything the age should be lowered (16 seems fair) if there is to be any difference at all. It seems absolutely ridiculous that it would be easier for me (being 15) to go out and buy coke, heroin or any of many other chemicals which will cause far more damage to me and others than it is for me to buy a 440ml can of strongbow.

As long as Kids want to drink we will find a way I have personally home-brewed large quantitys of alcohol in my room without my parents knowing. Hell if I wanted I could buy a fake ID and buy as much as I wanted.

Rather than trying to stop us the focus should be on educating Kids on drinking responsibly but, it needs to be done by parents and other adults as opposed to lame government campaigns (seriously these get absolutely no respect at all).
    Shadeyy wrote: »
    as far as underage drinking goes if anything the age should be lowered (16 seems fair) if there is to be any difference at all. It seems absolutely ridiculous that it would be easier for me (being 15) to go out and buy coke, heroin or any of many other chemicals which will cause far more damage to me and others than it is for me to buy a 440ml can of strongbow.

As long as Kids want to drink we will find a way I have personally home-brewed large quantitys of alcohol in my room without my parents knowing. Hell if I wanted I could buy a fake ID and buy as much as I wanted.

Rather than trying to stop us the focus should be on educating Kids on drinking responsibly but, it needs to be done by parents and other adults as opposed to lame government campaigns (seriously these get absolutely no respect at all).

Your age really shows from that post!

The age of purchasing alcohol is 18 because your body isnt fully developed until then so it does more long term damage.

As far as saying you could get a fake ID, good luck getting a convincing one. unless you got enough cash to buy a fake passport or driving licence then you got no chance!

Alcohol is also extremely damaging to your body.

Also, the age of leaving school is increasing to 18 in the next 10 years and they cant have school pupils being drunk or coming in with hangovers.
    What he said^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Shadeyy wrote: »

That says much more about the failure of the 'drug war' than it does about the relative harms of the substances. I used to regularly get drunk at the age of 14, not that I'd suggest it's a good idea it got me into trouble.

Teenagers need to get excitement from something, and with fewer and fewer outlets for this its hardly surprising when kids take drugs or do something like play on the tube tracks.